U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,505,771 times

Advertisements

I lived in L.A. during the early '80s. I loved every minute of my stay there.
The old saying "If you turn the U.S. on one side all of the loose ends will wind up in California". I am one of those loose ends. I live in Roanoke, Virginia and I think you guys live in a beautfiul place!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,348,749 times
Wholly entitiled to your own opinion, but if L.A. were still as "beautiful" as it was in the early 1980's, you wouldn't see so very many of the posters here stating clearly exactly why we must now leave. I for one can't live in the past.

You have some fairly beautiful Blue Ridge mountains in your state!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Los Angeles And California

Last week I met a group of southern California travel agents in D.C. and they talked about L.A. and California's woes, similar to what is being said on these posts. What is different to me about California is the "laid back" attitude people have there about everything. Yes, this part of Virginia is a beautiful place to live, housing affordable, perfect for middle-aged and beyond. There are many people re:locating here. The biggest difference here in the mid-atlantic region is that people here hold on to the past too much. I believe many feel George Washington, etc is coming back soon! In California everyone is trying to invent something new and they don't live in the past.
I think that was the best part of my stay out there. When I watch those t.v. shows about what one gets for $500k in a house there I can't believe what I am seeing. Here in Roanoke, $500k would get a mountaintop view, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths Georgian mansion!! Property tax low, etc etc. But despite the great weather you have, there is still something that is unique about your state!!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM

347 posts, read 2,060,079 times
Yeah... that's why I'm still kind of sad that I have to leave. I really did love California... it's just not what it used to be. I thought maybe I was just getting older and noticing things more than I used to but I've heard so many people echo the same thing at various ages that I know that is not the case.

500k would get you the 2 bedroom 1 bath (it might even be only a one bedroom!) condo across the street from me with an unattached garage (just sold for that much) in Simi Valley. It's a nice location 25 miles north of LA but you'll also have to commute to work to LA which is a very BLAH hour and a half commute down the 405. Also there's lots of street traffic by the condo because it's on a major street (end unit) and Simi Valley is notorious for it's motorcycle lovers so those big engine revs will drive your blood pressure up like crazy every 20 minutes or so... even with all the windows closed tightly.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Just curious. Where are people from L.A. moving now, besides Orange County?
I live about 3 hours from D.C. and I know there are many new residents from there who have moved to escape the traffic(2nd worst in U.S.) and the high cost of living in that area. Most of these people are middle aged and beyond who no longer feel living in a major city is worth the hassle. I noticed most of the people who live there are high income professionals and they tend to be
below 50 years old. It looks like this trend is happening in other areas beside
southern California.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM

347 posts, read 2,060,079 times
There are a ton of threads about this, but people from CA are moving to wherever they can make the most money on their equity investments. That would be: Idaho, Oregon, Colorado, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, etc. etc. Californians are getting a huge amount of backlash from natives in the areas they are moving into because they are selling their homes for close to a million dollars and coming to these lower-priced places and driving the housing prices up because they are willing to pay more thus making housing unavailable to the natives who have less money.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the insight!! I have always wondered why someone would move to
a particular area, if it wasn't because of the money!! I suppose $$ is a major
motivating force in a lot of the decision to leave a higher priced area. I am beginning to see the trend in my area and it gives me thought on whether I should snatch up some real estate that may continue to increase in value.
If I lived in California, it would be a tough move for me!! Oddly, I am glad now
I didn't stay there very long so now I don't have to move anywhere. Good Luck!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM

137 posts, read 246,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Phitt View Post
Come on. You and I both know it won't! You will notice that in my post, I didn't deny that there are serious housing affordability and living wage problems all over the country. If anything, I urged people to vote and get active to do something about it because I know it's a huge problem.

What I'm saying is that if you think the prospects are bleak in Florida, and it sounds like they are, you'll find Los Angeles to be downright hopeless.

As I mentioned before, at the last Census, the median price is Los Angeles was $529k and it has worsened significantly since that time. As I also mentioned, the Los Angeles City Clerk's report states that a family needs to earn more than $100,000 to buy a median-priced home in Los Angeles.

So I'm not saying a Florida teacher's $30k salary will get you a $300k house. My point was that a Los Angeles teacher's $30k salary will not get you a $529k house.
Wow 30k !

Hell teacher unions in my area are hijacking taxpayers.

These teachers here are making closer to 130k in an area where the cost of living is no where near LA.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:42 PM

530 posts, read 1,987,357 times
Default Housing

I went to Texas you can buy a brand new house close to the city for 200K granted your property tax would be 6K but its a brand new house in a good area. In L.A. that would be more than a million!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:18 PM

144 posts, read 898,102 times
Don't worry: You could always move down to my town of Leucadia and buy this 2800 sqft house on .5 acre for only 2.5 million!

http://www.dreamhomes.us/IMAGES/images1/125497.jpg (broken link)

Here's the description:

Nestled on a quiet, private drive, this one of a kind mini estate is set on half an acre perched high above Leucadia. The Frank Lloyd Wright inspired custom home is resplendent in natural light, with every window throughout capturing a view; whether the panoramic vistas of the beautiful Pacific and city lights or the award-winning garden that graced the cover of San Diego Home/garden Lifestyles magazine. Several patios, terraced lawns, fruit trees, pond with waterfall, and serving station with built-in barbeque and sink are just some of the features of the amazingly serene, verdant landscape. Seeing is believing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles