U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,211,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Sparky, yes, you are correct about the "minimum wage" thing. My sister lives in south OC and she told me a few weeks ago about how all the illegal laborers in that area got together and decided to use their collective clout and informally "unionize" themselves by only accepting jobs at a certain wage. You gotta give them credit for doing that - they probably have been stiffed a lot, and really taken advantage of by snobby, nouveau riche OC types. Illegal or not, I could never treat anyone the way I've seen some of them treated by their so-called "employers".

But this may backfire on them, as many in So Cal "tolerate" their presence there just so they can use them as slave labor. If that goes, then what? I know many gringos, or at least legal laborers, who will gladly work for $15 an hr. And usually do a better job, too. Illegals are often very willing, but not often very skilled.
I agree with your first paragraph. I'll give my view on the second one. There are so many illegals, and Mexico or any other homeland is very depressed in low wages. Even if they are paid three dollars an hour, this is probably better alot better pay than their homeland, causing them to stay. Besides, even if the illegals do leave for another job, the Construction employeers are going to start emptying their pockets. They don't want to pay fifteen dollars to a white folk, when they can pay under ten dollars to an illegal. Construction is a very physically draining job, I had the opportunity to do for a week. The Construction employeers understand this, and know where these people come from, and I believe many feel righteous conviction from these folks' often poor background. I believe many would justify hiring of illegal workers, because they are much less fortunate than American Citizens. Even if the wages increase to $15, it's not enough money to live in a decent California neighborhood, ecspecially with the costs of homes. You would probably be in a barrio or hood. Not to mention, most white folk, ecspecially wealthy, don't mention to their children the work of a Construction laborer. From experience, many racially bias folks believe construction as being very low class and produced by illegals. That's my take, but I do enjoy your quote.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 12:13 AM

889 posts, read 2,736,152 times
[quote=OCCASparky;239487]To that end, it's a two-pronged effort on the state and federal levels. The federal government is charged with enforcing and securing the borders--fine. Let them do that. Keep new folks from coming in. No more anchor babies, etc. You drop a kid in the US--fine. They're a citizen, you're not, back to your country of origin you go.[quote]

Why don't we do what many countries in Europe are doing -
babies born there aren't given automatic citizenship. They get that when they're 18. It might make illegal immigrants who are using "anchor babies" because they think it makes them un-deportable, think again.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 AM

625 posts, read 2,343,163 times
Quote:
Why don't we do what many countries in Europe are doing -
babies born there aren't given automatic citizenship. They get that when they're 18. It might make illegal immigrants who are using "anchor babies" because they think it makes them un-deportable, think again.

Because of, IMHO, a misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM

889 posts, read 2,736,152 times
Hi Sparky, hope you had a happy New Year! I don't understand - do you mean it would be difficult to change the law, as it would require a constitutional amendment? That is difficult but doable. I think so many people are fed up - and particularly sickened by this one loophole that illegals take advantage of - that there would be a lot of support for it. The problem is, that both parties find it in their interest to encourage illegal immigration, so the average legal citizen or resident is effectively screwed. Where will our political "hero" come from? Somone who is not beholden to special interests, and who will recognize the turmoil these lax immigration policies are creating in our communities, nation-wide.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Hi Sparky, hope you had a happy New Year! I don't understand - do you mean it would be difficult to change the law, as it would require a constitutional amendment? That is difficult but doable. I think so many people are fed up - and particularly sickened by this one loophole that illegals take advantage of - that there would be a lot of support for it. The problem is, that both parties find it in their interest to encourage illegal immigration, so the average legal citizen or resident is effectively screwed. Where will our political "hero" come from? Somone who is not beholden to special interests, and who will recognize the turmoil these lax immigration policies are creating in our communities, nation-wide.
No, the 14th Amendment was misinterpreted, IMO, to include AUTOMATIC citizenship for anyone born here, regardless of citizenship or legal status of parents.

It's amazing, really--I knew a guy when I was in the Navy who was as American as anyone, but he actually had to GET A WAIVER TO JOIN because he was born on a military base in Rota, Spain (to American parents, no less!).

But we throw the doors open to those who would break our laws? Puh-leez.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 PM

37 posts, read 331,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelady View Post
Anybody have an idea or two on how to creativly help your "twenty-something" adult kids get homes in the southern California areas? (in Orange,beach areas, or even Corona) You cannot believe what it costs for apartment rent and they are having a hard time saving up enough cash for a down payment-- and I don't know how they are going to make the payments even with the decent jobs they have. It would be nice to keep the generations somewhat in the same vicinity and the kids like southern CA and would prefer to stay here. Has anybody successful naviagted these waters?

Look tell your kids to live in areas that low class Hispanics, Blacks, Whites, Asians, etc. can't afford to live in.

Because those people are the reasons why areas go to s@# in a major way. I can't wait for the LAPD and the Sheriffs to start erasing gangs forever.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:56 AM

17,443 posts, read 26,493,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Because of, IMHO, a misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment.
Immigration was a major issue when the 14th Amendment was passed - complete with panics about Irish and German immigration comparable to the panics today about Latino immigration. So one can't say the writers of the 14th Amendment were unaware of consequences of "anchor babies"

Illegal immigration wasn't an issue, but mainly because there was no such legal concept as "illegal immigration" at the time. The US didn't have passports (only the Ottoman Empire and Russia did in the 19th century) and immigration controls were near nonexistent before 1905.

Nevertheless I am not trying to equate 19th/early 20th century immigration with immigration today, because of the US population being much greater and resources being scarcer. This said, legal immigration is one thing, illegal another (and illegal immigration does tend to attract the worst elements of the society from which the are emigrating from) although there are exceptions.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Immigration was a major issue when the 14th Amendment was passed - complete with panics about Irish and German immigration comparable to the panics today about Latino immigration. So one can't say the writers of the 14th Amendment were unaware of consequences of "anchor babies"

Illegal immigration wasn't an issue, but mainly because there was no such legal concept as "illegal immigration" at the time. The US didn't have passports (only the Ottoman Empire and Russia did in the 19th century) and immigration controls were near nonexistent before 1905.

Nevertheless I am not trying to equate 19th/early 20th century immigration with immigration today, because of the US population being much greater and resources being scarcer. This said, legal immigration is one thing, illegal another (and illegal immigration does tend to attract the worst elements of the society from which the are emigrating from) although there are exceptions.

As strange as it may sound, if the 20 million or so illegals had actually followed the process and entered this country legally, you know what? I'd be welcoming them with open arms. But such is not the case.

The 14th Amendment, when ratified, never specifically addressed the "anchor babies" issue. Time to revisit that and ensure only those here LEGALLY can have children with automatic citizenship. If you're NOT here legally and have a child, you BOTH go back...the child's country of citizenship is the same as the mother's. Period.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 PM

17,443 posts, read 26,493,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post

The 14th Amendment, when ratified, never specifically addressed the "anchor babies" issue. Time to revisit that and ensure only those here LEGALLY can have children with automatic citizenship. If you're NOT here legally and have a child, you BOTH go back...the child's country of citizenship is the same as the mother's. Period.
So what about situations in which the father is illegal and the mother is not?
And why should the citizenship be like that of the mother? Basing citizenship on the father's citizenship seems to be more common worldwide.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Pt. 2 of L.A. gangs:
NORTH EAST LA
TOONERVILLE, GLENDALE-ATWATER-TUJUNGA:JOKERS, LOS CRAZY VAGOS, NIGHT OWLS, LOMITA ST LOCOS, CHEVY CHASE PARK LOCOS, ATWATER LOCOS, DUKES, TOKERS, TINY LOCOS, YOUNGSTERS
WS THEE RASCALS, ATWATER
AVENUES AVENIDAS, EAGLE ROCK- HIGHLAND PARK- CYPRESS PARK- GLASSELL PARK- MT. WASHINGTON: CYPRESS CHICOS-ASESINOS-DREW ST, 43RD AVE, 50AVE, 60AVE, CYCLONES, NIGHT OWLS
HIGHLAND PARK
CYPRESS PARK
GLASSELL PARK
VARRIO NORTH EAST LOS ANGELES
EAST SIDE CLOVER, LINCOLN HEIGHTS
LINCOLN HEIGHTS
ROSE HILLS, MONTECITO HEIGHTS
HAPPY VALLEY
EL SERENO LOCKE STREET
ESR EL SERENO RIFA LOWELL ST
EAST SIDE EIGHTEEN STREET
HAZARDS
EAGLE ROCK TINY WINOS
TRES CANTOS
FADED BOYZ
MISCELLANEOUS:SURENOS, BOLAS, ATWATER VILLAGE
EAST LOS ANGELES
EAST SIDE WHITE FENCE: THE HOLES
MARAVILLA:HOLLO, MARRIANA, FORD, GAGE, ARIZONA, JUAREZ, RASCAL,FRASER, HIGH TIMES, POMEROY, LOTT, MOERAYA,PROJECTS,LOPEZ, ROCKA
EVERGREEN ST
MICHIGAN AVE CRIMINAL/CHICANO FORCE:EAST SIDE 1ST ST, SOUTH SIDE
VARRIO NUEVO ESTRADA: THE COURTS, VILLAINS, LOCOS
EAST LOS 13
GERAGHTY LOMA:ROCKWOODST
LOMAS
YOUNG BOYS RIFA
THE LOTT
LORENA
STATE STREET
BREED ST
LAGUNA PARK VIKINGS
EAST SIDE KRAZIES
LIL VALLEY
HAPPY VALLEY
LIL EAST SIDE
INDIANA DUKES
CHOPPERS12
STONERS, BOYLE HEIGHTS
BOYLE HEIGHTS
AL CAPONE
PRIMERA FLATS:ES
CUATRO FLATS
8TH ST
CRAZY DOGS
EAST LA RIFA
CLARENCE ST
WINTER GARDENS
ES THE MOB CREW
CITY TERRACE
SENTINEL
ES SS VICKEYSTOWN
AVE OXFORD BOYZ
21ST MALDITOS
HICKS ST
OPAL STREET
CENTRAL LA/WEST LA
FROGTOWN RIVERSIDE
ECHO PARK
WS CRAZIES: MAYBERRY ST LOCOS
LA MIRADA ST LOCOS
DESCANSO TINY WINOS
BARRIO SILVER LAKE
WS AZTLAN
BIG TOP LOCOS
WS TEMPLE STREET
DIAMOND ST
WS ROCKWOOD ST
HEAD HUNTERS
WSXV3ST:HOOVER LOCOS, COLUMBIA LIL CYCOS, SHATOO PARK, COLUMBIA TINY LOCOS, HOLLYWOOD GANGSTERS, DIABLOS, LOCOS, PEEWEES, PICO LOCOS, BROADWAY 54TH ST TLS, SMILY DRIVE, ALSACE AVE, HAWTHORNE CRIMINALS,7TH BROADWAY GANGSTERS, KING BOULEVARD BOYS
DOGTOWN, CHINATOWN-HIGHLAND PARK-GARDENA
5TH&HILL
WS MARA SALVATRUCHA: LEEWARD, WITMER ST, ADAMS, PARK VIEW LOCOS, 9TH ST, CORNONADO, HOLLYWOOD LOCOS, PASADENA LOCOS
CRAZY RIDERS
ORPHANS
WANDERERS
WS CLANTON 14TH STUKES, JOKERS, TINY LOCOS, PEEWEES, MIDGETS, LOCOS, CUT DOWNS,25TH ST
CARNALES,WS SS75TH ST
WEST SIDE WHITE FENCE
WS THE MAGICIANS CLUB
VIRGINIA ST LOCOS
WS PLAYBOYS
DRIFTERS
EASY RIDERS
Compita!!! You forgot about and old Varrio That Beggan On The East Los Angeles Varrion King Kobra Rifa Tiny migidets El Sr Scrappy#1.. Siempre Gravenselo!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles