U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,459 times

Advertisements

SOME KID TOLD ME A DUDE FROM ROLLIN 20s I THINK GOT SHOT BY LONGO I DONT KNOW IF IT WAS EAST SIDE WEST OR NORTH, BUT THEY SHOT THE RTC DUDE IN FRONT OF THE POLICE STATION.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM

166 posts, read 958,981 times
Try going to Miami. Same garbage. They can't speak a word of English. I remember one guy mentioning on a message board on how he came from a foreign country, worked hard, and is now completing his masters degree. After reading the material he wrote, I thought to myself, "Man, if this guy is getting his masters degree, and my highest educational level is one semester of college, we have a huge problem here!" I am able to compose sentences better than him. Ok, I have to admit my best subject was always English (I am also a freelance writer who interviews Grammy-Award winning artists), however, this guy could not clearly write very well for that level of education.

How are they getting BA degrees, yet they can't communicate on a collegiate level? I have to write on a collegiate level to be as professional as possible. I am self-taught and do feel that God has just given me a gift. But almost 6 years in college, and he still had improper communication skills? I have to wonder? I think he goes to a college where they speak fluent Spanish and English is a secondary language. Whenever I go to Miami I feel out of place. I don't speak fluent Spanish, but I can understand enough to get by. However, most of these people stare at me when I drive by (I own a Corvette) and just don't understand how to communicate in English. That is very frustrating from somebody that loves to write and communicate with intelligent individuals! I look forward to the day I leave South Florida. I plan on leaving next year.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:04 PM

82 posts, read 508,398 times
Default L.A. is near but we rarely need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I've spent half a century here, and we will move the second my husband retires. Weather isn't the only quality of life issue.

Los Angeles is only liveable if:
1)You're quite wealthy
2)You're an illegal immigrant
3)You love being in a gang
There is an excellent grass park on a hill right next to the beach in South Bay that I and many neighbors frequent most days in the late afternoon of the week. The park is off the beaten path and mostly only visited by immediate locals. Most of us live within a very short walking distance, some bring their dogs, some drive from their homes. As we enjoy the incredible beach scene of Santa Monica Bay and the constant cool breeze from the ocean, we laugh about the people who have moved to other states. Those who have moved away have asked how we can stand to live in terrible old L.A. We think that is very funny. L.A. is always very close if we need it, but that is very rare.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 PM

40 posts, read 254,929 times
LA county has over 10 million people 51% are hispanic, nearly11% asian,8.5% black this was as of 2005 LA county is 26% white none hispanic. thats about 2.7 million people that are white none hispanic. many hispanic are counted as white in the us census the city of LA is about the same hispanic white its 9.5 % asian and 9.0 black hispanics account for over 51% as of 2005.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Wow! I do appreciate your response, but I will inform you where you are misguided. The county of Los Angeles has 4.5-5 million white folks, so you won't be the last one. "Take down the flag," is motivated by hysteria and resentment over illegal immigration. The last statement is as negative of a low blow as a racial slur.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 AM

40 posts, read 254,929 times
you should come and see how great it is now. total gridlock and a mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I lived in L.A. during the early '80s. I loved every minute of my stay there.
The old saying "If you turn the U.S. on one side all of the loose ends will wind up in California". I am one of those loose ends. I live in Roanoke, Virginia and I think you guys live in a beautfiul place!!

Old 07-07-2007, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,844 times
Default sickest gang in whittier

Quote:
Pt. 4 of L.A. gangs, including the San Gabriel area with some O.C.
SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
VARRIO PASA RIFA
NS PASA
VILLA BOYS PASA
KRAZY BOYS PASA
PASA LATIN KINGS
SS PASA
ES DUARTE
SAN DIMAS COLONIA PARQUE, LOCOS CHICOS
WEST COVINA
EAST SIDE DUKES
POMONA 12TH ST:SHARKIES
VARRIO MONROVIA
CHERYVILLE
SSPOMONA
NSPOMONA
POMONA MICHOACANOS
BOLEN PARK:NS ES
*WHITTIER VARRIO LOCOS *
QUIET VILLAGE
WHITTIER DEAD END LOCOS
ROOKS TOWN
SS WHITTIER
WHITTIER VILLAGE
JIM TOWN
PICO NUEVO
PICO VIEJO
PICO LOCOS
**** RIVERA
JARDIN 13
ES KING KOBRAS
LA PUENTE
HACIENDA HEIGHTS
LIL HILL
SANGRA CHICOS
EL MONTE FLORES
EL MONTE HICKS
SS EL MONTE
EL MONTE HAYES ST
NS EL MONTE
BARTLETT ST
LIL HILL
HACIENDAXHEIGHTS
VALINDA FLATS
BASSET NIGHT OWLS
TEMPLE CITY
WS WALNUT
CLAREMONT
TOWNSEMEN- LA PUENTE
HACIENDA HEIGHTS
LIL HILL GANG
PUENTE TRECE TINFLANES
NORTH LA COUNTY, 661 AREA CODE
EAST SIDE PASILLO NUEVO, NEWHALL:ALLEY CATS, EIGHT BALL BOYS, LOCOS, TINY LOCOS, RASCALS, YOUNGSTERS, PEEWEES
SOUTH SIDE CRIMINALS
WEST SIDE LANCAS
CRAZY MEXICAN FAMILIA
WS VAL VERDE PARQUE 13 SMOKE TOWN,TINY LOCOS, MALDITOS
PALMAS13 DEADLY MINDS, CREATORS, YOUNGSTERS, KINGS
BARRIO CANYONES, LOCOS,STRANGERS, PLAYGIRLS
ORANGE COUNTY
FULLERTON TOKERS TOWN
LA HABRA CAMPO 13
WS LA HABRA
FULLERTON SUICIDAL GANG
MONOS
ANAHEIM JUNGLE CITY
ANAHEIM PENGUIN CITY
ANAHEIM JEFFREY STANAHEIM LATIN BOYS
FXTROOP
SANTA ANA 5TH ST, BROOK STREET, HIGHLAND
COSTA MESA
MALOS GANG
WS ANAHEIM
LA FABRICA
ANAHEIM DRIFTERS
CITRON STREET
PAULINE ST
LA UNA
ANAHEIM COLONIA
BOYS GANG
SANTA ANA DRIFTERS
LOGAN
ANAHEIM FOLKS
DEVIOUS HOODLUMS
BROWN NATION
BARRIO WALNUT
DOWN FAMILIA WICKED SOLDIERS
ANAHEIM PACIFIC
ANAHEIM BARRIO SMALL TOWN
LITTLE HOOD SANTA ANA COSTA MESA
MIDWAY CITY LOCOS
BIG STANTON
CROW VILLAGE
BUENA CLINTON
WEST MYRTAL
ALLEY BOYS
COMPADRES
OC CRIMINALS
ANAHEIM UNDER HILL
SOUTH SIDE HUNTINGTON BEACH
ALLEY LOCOS
CHERRY STREET
BAKER STREET BOYZ
SOUTH SIDE KRIMINALS
HEAD HUNTERS
GARDEN GROVE HARD TIMES
ANAHEIM TRAVELERS
BUENA PARQUE LOS COYOTES
EVIL KIDS SANTA ANA
ANAHEIM VERMONT ST
ES FULLERTON
ES 19ST COSTA MESA
WS VARRIO FORMING KAOS COSTA MESA
UNITED BY CRIME
U for got the sickest gang in whittier
*UPTOWN WHITTIER VARRIO LOCOS*

Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,656,971 times
Quote:
Fine by me, agreeing to disagree is a good attitude. My sources were the financial industry stats frequently listed in the Real Estate sections of the various media here. I believe that now, with the slight dip in prices, one only has to earn $101,000.00 per annum as a single wage-earner to qualify for a loan for a median-priced home in L.A. That lets me out bigtime! Good thing I bought a house decades ago (not everyone wants to be in a condo for eternity. Remember, I love old historic houses too.) I post things like the poll above for the benefit of relocators who didn't buy into our expensive market decades ago. Perhaps this helps with "sticker shock."

Overall, I like how this poster put it about living in L.A.:

This quote hit home reminding me of a comment by a European friend, who said he was sad to think of us living in a such a hostile, dangerous place (the only area we could afford) because one's home is supposed to be one's sanctuary of sorts. The above quote's last sentence in particular would echo my findings too.
Hi there, Fastfilm
Are you still thinking of moving to NC when your husband retires? If so, what is it about that area that appeals to you besides the lower cost of living and lack of gang activity? If you are interested in meeting well educated yet liberal minded people, may I suggest Massachusetts? You would not believe what you can get for your money and be near skiing,beaches, history and culture and four seasons. Yes you do get cold winters, which I don't mind after the mind numbing sameness of California weather. We have found incredible places on the North and South Shore of Boston for under $450k where you can walk to the beach, neighbors are polite and speak English,have their doors unlocked and the police are bored!

Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,431,331 times
Their are many positives about living in Southern CA,but so many people are focused on the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithns View Post
There is an excellent grass park on a hill right next to the beach in South Bay that I and many neighbors frequent most days in the late afternoon of the week. The park is off the beaten path and mostly only visited by immediate locals. Most of us live within a very short walking distance, some bring their dogs, some drive from their homes. As we enjoy the incredible beach scene of Santa Monica Bay and the constant cool breeze from the ocean, we laugh about the people who have moved to other states. Those who have moved away have asked how we can stand to live in terrible old L.A. We think that is very funny. L.A. is always very close if we need it, but that is very rare.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,431,331 times
With over 18 Million People in the Metro Area,naturally you should expect Traffic...Problems exist in every part of the Country and the World,not just in L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyla91601 View Post
you should come and see how great it is now. total gridlock and a mess

Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,977,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Hi there, Fastfilm
Are you still thinking of moving to NC when your husband retires? If so, what is it about that area that appeals to you besides the lower cost of living and lack of gang activity? If you are interested in meeting well educated yet liberal minded people, may I suggest Massachusetts? You would not believe what you can get for your money and be near skiing,beaches, history and culture and four seasons. Yes you do get cold winters, which I don't mind after the mind numbing sameness of California weather. We have found incredible places on the North and South Shore of Boston for under $450k where you can walk to the beach, neighbors are polite and speak English,have their doors unlocked and the police are bored!
I grew up in Fullerton, and now live in Chicago after living in Cambridge, MA and NY. I love it here. I have read about all the problems in LA, and saw them first hand when I visited last month. I loved my childhood in north Orange County, but I saw soooooooooo much change in the worsened quality of life the last time I visited. I saw where one poster compared some things of LA to Chicago; I think the comparison is a fair one. Except for the winter from Jan to March, which has some warm ups in there, the weather here is not bad at all, and the quality of life is much better than it has become in CA. I would choose Chicago or its suburbs over Mass., but that is me, and choose both as a place to live and prosper over CA. Lake Michigan makes Chicago feel coastal, and it is a beautiful city with much new construction, with affordable areas and expensive areas, whatever your pocket book fits. Thanks for the interesting posts , I have learned alot off this. To put in my five cents, I don't see how the quality of life in LA can get better in the future without some kind of miracle, given the fact that it is growing continuously with an uneducated population which just worsens the shortage of everything and make the environment and living conditions there worse as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>