Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.25%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 208 70.75%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
The presence of 'gangs' doesn't always paint an accurate picture of crime. For example the Carson ZIP code of 90746 covers roughly half of the city in 5 distinct neighborhoods. If you look here
Livingchoices.com: Real Estate - New Homes, Homes for Sale, Apartment Rentals (http://www.livingchoices.com/community/communitydetails.aspx?mid=4480&zip=90746 - broken link)
You'll find a lower crime rate than in Beverly Hills, Bixby Knolls and many other pricey neighborhoods. In fact, if you substitute the last 5 numbers of the URL w/ Laguna Beaches 92651 ZIP code, you'll find Carson's 90746 ZIP is as safe as the million-dollar Laguna Beach, in spite of being on the 'gang list'. Carson's safety isn't a product of millionaires... it's just safe.
Why does our society even tolerate gangs. We have incredible medical and technological advances but gang crime is everywhere; the government does not have the will to stop it. One gang, just one in Los Angeles has 20,000 members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
The presence of 'gangs' doesn't always paint an accurate picture of crime. For example the Carson ZIP code of 90746 covers roughly half of the city in 5 distinct neighborhoods. If you look here
Livingchoices.com: Real Estate - New Homes, Homes for Sale, Apartment Rentals (http://www.livingchoices.com/community/communitydetails.aspx?mid=4480&zip=90746 - broken link)
You'll find a lower crime rate than in Beverly Hills, Bixby Knolls and many other pricey neighborhoods. In fact, if you substitute the last 5 numbers of the URL w/ Laguna Beaches 92651 ZIP code, you'll find Carson's 90746 ZIP is as safe as the million-dollar Laguna Beach, in spite of being on the 'gang list'. Carson's safety isn't a product of millionaires... it's just safe.

You forgot quite a veiw gangs in Costa Mesa and Santa Ana. There is still ES Family Mob 13, ES Die Hard Piru, Calle Shalimar 13, Varrio Little Town. Theses are the 4 oldest, biggest and most violent gangs in that city. You have Forming Kaos 13 on your list and they are just a party crew still to this day. They steal stories from the real gangs in that area and try adopt them to make themselves appear more violent.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 100,629 times
I'm going to be relocating to the San Fernando Valley area-Woodland Hills,and are all of these things true. I mean hear about it but everyone I know that has relocated to LA has enjoyed their time there?? (confused) all the way from Washington D.C.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,949 times
You have nothing to worry about they keep to themselves just know what to look for and don't be nosy. You should be fine.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,464 times
Where does REDNC live? The middle of Death Valley? Since when is California a desert. As for culture, what culture does Oregon or Colorado have comparatively? It seems like REDNC lived or visited one area in California and assumed the rest was all the same. As for the question who else stops selling alcohol early, California's sale hours are from 6AM until 2AM, longer or the same as in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana... and practically every other state. Maybe the county wherever REDNC lived stopped early, but State law allows alcohol sales longer than almost every other state.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,896 times
I'd say that I don't completely agree with FastFilm's assessment of Los Angeles. First of all, you do NOT need to be super rich to live here. You can make 50-60K per year and live decently if you don't eat out every day and don't go to expensive concerts. However, if you want to buy a home in a decent or good area, then that is a different story. Then you would have to have a combined income of something like 100K. If you have one or two kids, then it gets even more complicated. 50-60K a year is enough if you just want to rent. There are ways to cut down the costs of various items if you look around and do research. Second of all, not everyone here fits in the 2nd or 3rd category she mentioned. Yes, Los Angeles has its faults but at least for one day, I think I'll avoid listing all the negatives. This place is not as bad as some people say it is.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:56 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredomHeights View Post
Where does REDNC live? The middle of Death Valley? Since when is California a desert. As for culture, what culture does Oregon or Colorado have comparatively? It seems like REDNC lived or visited one area in California and assumed the rest was all the same. As for the question who else stops selling alcohol early, California's sale hours are from 6AM until 2AM, longer or the same as in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana... and practically every other state. Maybe the county wherever REDNC lived stopped early, but State law allows alcohol sales longer than almost every other state.
Wow, it's been 4 years since I posted here.
You must not know much about California if you don't know it once was a desert and would return to one if not for the aqueduct that brings water to it's thirsty residents.
As for the alcohol sales, that's at football games. Your reading and comprehension capabilities could use a tune up.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
You must not know much about California if you don't know it once was a desert
Technically Los Angeles (the place that benefits from the aqueducts) isn't a desert as the rainfall averages around 15 inches (10 inches is commonly used to refer to or help define desert).

"Just because Los Angeles brings in water from hundreds of miles away does not make it a desert. Nearly all of the world's largest cities, located in humid areas, have to import water from great distances to supply their needs. And no one seriously refers to New York or San Francisco as deserts."

from

L.A. is not a desert - LA Observed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Drink too much? Ever been to a football or baseball game? Where else, but CA do they stop selling alcohol early or not at all?

"All alcohol sales will be discontinued at the end of the third quarter"

from

Carolina Panthers Stadium Policies on Alcohol

Last edited by Charles; 03-20-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Technically Los Angeles (the place that benefits from the aqueducts) isn't a desert as the rainfall averages around 15 inches (10 inches is commonly used to refer to or help define desert).

"Just because Los Angeles brings in water from hundreds of miles away does not make it a desert. Nearly all of the world's largest cities, located in humid areas, have to import water from great distances to supply their needs. And no one seriously refers to New York or San Francisco as deserts."

from

L.A. is not a desert - LA Observed

Key word, "Technically".

"All alcohol sales will be discontinued at the end of the third quarter"

from

Carolina Panthers Stadium Policies on Alcohol
At the time of the post, 2006 CA was the only state I knew of that stoped selling alcohol before the end of the game. Now four years later that may not be the case.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,896 times
Plain and simple, Los Angeles is just too big, too spread out everywhere and there are just all different kinds of people living here. I'll be honest, L.A. is sometimes a frustrating, stressful place to live. California is no longer the Golden State anymore. L.A. is actually one of the worst parts of the country to live in if you want to raise kids. This place is just too crowded and we have way too many drivers that drive erratically and/or talk on their cell phones while driving.

Who cares that the weather here is pleasant? Weather does not solve the social problems that L.A. residents continue to face. I was talking to a friend of mine last week who is my age and he also feels he doesn't belong in L.A. I don't blame him at all. I think too many people continue to defend this city and live in denial. They'd rather live in denial than accept facts. As previously stated, this place is not the same anymore. Los Angeles is not problem free. I hate to say this but in many ways, this place has become a cesspool. I would be able to put up with hot weather if I didn't have to pay so much money to live. This is because I don't let the outside weather determine my mood. I don't even understand why in the world anyone would pay 600K just for a HOUSE when they could buy one in another state for much less.

Sorry folks, the glamour and excitement of Los Angeles is gone for too many people and this place is terrible compared to 30 years ago. CA is NOT safe for young kids anymore, that is a fact if any of you have been watching the news lately. Thanks to Desdamona for the informative post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles