U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:45 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,461,192 times

Advertisements

Gregj, Moving to areas like you listed I can understand why someone would prefer California. Arizona is another desert like CA and CA is the better desert. Most people in Oregon are from CA and they hate people from CA, same with CO.
What culture is there in CA? Mexican culture maybe.
Intellectually challenged? Over 50% of the college entrants in CA have to take remedial math and English and they are the top 5% of high school graduates.
Weather? I find the weather boring here.
Drink too much? Ever been to a football or baseball game? Where else, but CA do they stop selling alcohol early or not at all?

Purplelady, Your children need to start out small like everyone else. Condo, townhome worked for me. Property has never been affordable in CA. When I bought my first condo I had to camp out to get it. It was twice as much as my parents paid for their house 15 years earlier and it about 1/3rd the size. By small build equity and build up. That’s the only way to do it. Don’t count on a bubble bursting any time soon. They have been predicting that for several years and those that are sitting on the fence have seen 30% increases in most areas and more in others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM

131 posts, read 163,449 times
Default Housing cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
Buddy, I noted you live in La Mirada, and reccommend Brea as a good area. What do you, or your family and you do to afford $700K homes? And don't you think this is a tad unrealistic for most working people?
I love LA in lots of parts for the weather and for the landscape,lots
of nice people live in LA.I still spend a lot of time there.I even found out a way to get fairly wealthy in Cal.My opinion the major problems of this state is that there are too many democrats and democrat ideas.Democrats are the seeds which grows to be communism.I don't think that republicans is the answer but if the ideas were shared and the crap flushed it would be the greatest state in the union.CAL.is taxed to death and thousands of the stupidest cops and laws in the USA.Stupidity cost tax payers billions of tax dollars in CAL and where does this money come from.Everything is expensive
and this drives the living cost sky high.Homes are the 1st thing to sky rocket.
Brea,Yorba Linda,Fullerton,Diamond Bar and other areas near there are very beautiful.Dingbat Swarts****** may be Rep.but a mighty poor excuse.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,345,041 times
Your profile indicates you live in an area that I wish to scout to relocate. As a 5-decade long (lately, very long) citizen of L.A., I dispute your contention that people are nice or even friendly here. The majority do not speak English; therefore, one cannot even be nice to them oneself since there is no basis of communication.

Both political parties have contributed to the decline of California within the last 20 years. We had a remarkably efficient education system until the mid-1970's; now, we're ranked 49th among the states, just one up from Mississippi. See my contribution to the thread "Education in Los Angeles" if you're interested in my assessment. I needn't be redundent here.

People who've lived here and elsewhere claim the farther away you get from Los Angeles, the nicer people seem to be.

I really can't overemphasize to posters here enough that this place is only fit for habitation if you're A) rich, B) illegal or C) violent.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:09 PM

Although I have certainly met some *****s in CA, there are a lot of friendly people there. Most of the ones that I know are long time residents that have watched helplessly as this once great state has turned into a cesspool of transient me first people.
If you want to get a glimpse of the real CA life style that is driving a lot of long time Californians away watch “The real housewives of Orange County” on Bravo.
Although this is an extreme view of how greedy people in these communities are, there is a lot of this behavior trickles down to everyone who lives there.
If you are one of the few that teach your children manors, how to act in public, how to treat others, you can be assured that they will be changed once they attend public schools.

The Democrats have overtaken CA. I disagree that both political parties have contributed. The Republican party hasn’t had any influence in CA since Regan was governor. The liberals in Northern CA have been in power so long that the only reason the state has not completely collapsed is the past Republican governors. After the state almost imploded as the result of a Democrat governor(Grey Davis) who allow the legislature go wild with every wacko entitlement and pet project they could come up with, and charge it to the taxpayers, he was recalled. The state has a 2/3rds vote requirement for tax increases and every election the Democrats try to get that changed so they can increase taxes at will. They even went so far as spending money they didn’t have on their pet projects busting the budget every year resulting in a $35 billion deficit. No, you can’t blame this one on the Republicans.
The teachers union is the sole reason for the schools being in such decline. The only way to fix this problem is with vouchers for private schools. Unless the teachers union is busted up the schools will remain at the bottom. Why do think the teachers contribute so much money to the Democrats? It’s not because they think they will do anything to fix the problem, just the opposite.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 PM

RedNC, I was contacted by the moderator and warned not to inject political diatribes here in the forums, but I think you are misleading people who wish genuine information about moving to Los Angeles or Southern California. This place has too many illusions being perpetuated already to have others slide in. Both parties have made horrendous decisions affecting all quality of life issues. I will be "voting with my feet" and, after my husband retires, we'll be leaving our home of fifty years, Los Angeles. Good riddance to bad rubbish! This place is garbage for all but the rich, the illegal or the violent. (see previous threads for my explanations.)

As for education, you must examine "the constituency" as much as "the top down management." According to today's Daily News statistics, 50% of all Los Angeles students are from homes where English is not spoken, and are therefore English learners. Teachers are straining at the bit to help them, and utterly stifled by Open Court and unending bad administrative decisions. Please refer to others' and my posts on the thread here entitled "Education in Los Angeles" so that there's no redundant reading for all here. When you make statements like "the teachers' union is the sole reason..." you are besmirching the wrong target. That's like blaming footsoldiers for generals' horrendous decision.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 AM

Well “fastfilm” I gave the genuine information, anything else would be misleading. What gives you the authority to determine when others should or shouldn’t “slide in”? Do you think your “for all but the rich, the illegal or the violent” rant is some kind of “genuine” information? A very small percentage of people fit your description. Most of the people are nice, genuine good caring people.

As for your education rant, you have some of it right. The language barrier is a problem, and if it wasn’t for the teachers union trying to stop every attempt that the voters have made to stop the bi-lingual education this wouldn’t be a problem. No, not “besmirching” the wrong target, the teachers union are the most powerful weapon the democrats have and they aren’t about to give up their golden goose.

This is a democrat state, anyone moving here should already know that and maybe that’s why they are interested in moving here. If not they should be for warned that any attempt at changing it would be futile and either accept it or stay where they are.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:54 AM

8,955 posts, read 3,914,118 times
Please do not engage in political discussions here. You can move your debate to another forum if you are so inclined. The link is "http://www.americanforeignrelations.com/forum/"

Regards,

Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 11,513 times
You guys are nuts. If LA was that bad then why is there so many people living there? LA county is on the list of most millionaires. They could live anywhere.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs
You guys are nuts. If LA was that bad then why is there so many people living there? LA county is on the list of most millionaires. They could live anywhere.
I think this just proves the point that money doesn’t make you any smarter.
That’s precisely why you shouldn’t go to movie stars for advice.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM

scoobs, scoobs, scoobs...My very first post here was that Los Angeles is only liveable if you're rich, illegal or violent. Not everyone here is illegal or violent!

The rich here cocoon themselves from the terribleness by living on inaccessible mountaintops behind high gates, in gated colonies at Malibu or in heavily patrolled by private security companies enclaves like Bel Air, Portuguese Bend or Holmby Hills. You can live rather well if your idea of a fixer upper is a merely 8 million dollar home.

Again, if you're not one the three categories, life is mean streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles