U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 AM

48 posts, read 251,265 times

Advertisements

Now what's this? TWO helicopter chases over our house in one day??? Gawd!

I give up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 08:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,344,098 times
I really want to remind all those reading these L.A. threads that we are speaking about middle class neighborhoods, normal places that the working folk live. These are not considered slums. I did not make special photo forays to show you this, I just drove a block or two.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:25 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,544,441 times
FastFilm and Ms.Phitt, thank you for posting those photos. It is very sad and eye opening. And I know from what FastFilm is posting about is the truth because my relatives have mentioned the exact same problems.

Ms. Phitt, I know FastFilm has mentioned she is in Van Nuys, but what area of L.A. are you speaking of?

-itchick

Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 PM

I would like to stress that we live in a middle-class neighborhood, not a slum, and I didn't go driving around to find some really terrible area and take photos. The whole point of this exercise was to show my own neighborhood, so I took less than a 2-minute walk from my home.

To give you an idea just how fast these areas can go down, there were a handful of gang members hanging out at an intersection down the block when we moved here to help with a family health emergency. Since that time the group moved closer, started hanging out at houses in the neighborhood, took over the alley, grew to literally hundreds of individuals, and began the massive graffiti projects you see in the photos. How long did all this take? Just over 2 years.

You're welcome, ITchick. I hope it causes the naysayers in $700,000+ homes to take pause and stop accusing us all of lying before they see what we're talking about. To answer your question, these are pictures of Echo Park. For those of you not familiar with this area it is south of the city of Glendale.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
I think at this point after reading yours and Ms. Phitt's posts I have to ask, where do you both plan on moving to (and would that area have as nice weather as L.A. has)?

And Ms. Phitt, you're right, people in Chicago are not nice.
Yes, we found that even our brief exposure to Chicago denizens was enough to convince us that we'd never ever consider moving there.

Well, it depends on your definition of nice weather. We love the winters here. But unless you're pretty close to the beach, temperatures generally run 85-95 degrees or more with heat waves over 100, which is way too hot for our taste. So we've been looking for somewhere with much milder summers, even if some places could mean cold winters.

I am still researching for an exact area, but most likely it will be western British Columbia in Canada. Yes, there is a lot of rain... but we just love rain, and the reason for that rain is all the stunningly beautiful rainforest throughout the area. It's much cooler in the summer, yet the winter is on average only a few degrees cooler than the winters here. Also due to the rainforest, the air is squeaky clean even in metropolitan areas like Vancouver. Although I've lived within Los Angeles county since I was 6 years old, I am a Canadian citizen and have family in B.C., so it's a move that makes sense on many levels.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,544,441 times
Ms. Phitt, it sounds as if you are doing the right thing by moving to British Columbia. Especially if you love the rain. I've personally never heard a bad thing about the place; only good stuff!

You are lucky to have Canadian citizenship as I have heard that it is hard to get.

Good luck with your move.
-itchick

Old 06-05-2006, 03:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 16,935,547 times
Ms.Phitt & fastfilm - great photos. I lived in Ca from 1979-1985. Loved it, but it sure has gone downhill - and housing prices went insane - since then. Sad.
Due to an unfortunate twist of fate, I'm living in Flint MI right now, which is an awfully depressing city. Your photos are reminiscent of Flint, except the weather here is worse and the graffiti is much more crude.
Have gangs and crime infiltrated middle class neighborhoods that much in SoCa, really? That is too bad. It mut be worse down there than in the northern part of the state.
Oh, and you can buy houses - relatively decent ones in iffy parts of the city - for under 10K, all day long. I paid cash for mine, and I am far from well off. The only reason I'm still here is I have no mortgage and will make a little on the house when I sell it, so I'm saving for a move outta here.
I was in the Bay Area last November visiting family and the real estate listings look like the funny pages. A $680,000 little house in Santa Clara was listed as a "starter home." Unreal.
As much as it's changed I'd still rather live in Ca than the midwest, but could barely afford rent and buying would be out of the question. I haven't a clue how people manage it.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:20 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,344,098 times
Yes to all three, the gangs definitely have infiltrated the "middle-class" parts of the city, it is worse in Southern Calif. than northern, and it is sad.

Is Flint still as dire as Michael Moore depicted it in "Roger and Me?" Lastly, if you want to move back to California, avoid Los Angeles like the plague that it is. You should look at the eastern part of Calif., all up and down its length, which still retains a lot of the chartacteristics that people have associated with the state, without such an overwhelming obliteration of the "good life" as with my home city

Old 06-05-2006, 04:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,935,547 times
Parts of Flint are dire, parts are really nice. Think New-England-y brick homes, mature trees, lots of greenery, quiet streets, lots of historically-true well maintained buildings. Many little farms surrounding the city. Some outlying suburbs filled with McMansions and money.
Downtown architecture is nice with original brick streets along the river. Problem is, it's pretty well deserted.
Economy tanked then, will probably never come back.

The bad neighborhoods are really awful, as portrayed. Worse, probably. (Side note - MM isn't from Flint, he's from Davison - an upscale/rural community east of Flint. He kinda misrepresented himself.)

I'll probably never live in California again, I just visit every 6 months or so - Bay area. Will move to the PNW in a couple of years.
Sorry for the sidetrack! I don't know LA well at all, spent a bit more time in San Diego.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 PM

97 posts, read 553,829 times
Default You're not speaking for my SoCal. Why argue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
I really want to remind all those reading these L.A. threads that we are speaking about middle class neighborhoods, normal places that the working folk live. These are not considered slums. I did not make special photo forays to show you this, I just drove a block or two.
I'm writing from a nice, safe, clean, affordable (median home value $585k) middle class neighborhood in LA County where English is still the predominate language and award winning schools are the norm. Spent 30 minutes looking for graffitti and surprise: I COULDN'T FIND ANY!

The constant diatribe is getting old. So why haven't you moved a long time ago? [moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 06-10-2006 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: personal attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles