U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 PM
 
676 posts, read 2,934,024 times
Reputation: 792

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoW62
Reading the posts above, I'd like to comment as one of the "target audience". To wit: I find this board to be one of the most useful resources I've found so far on the realities of moving to LA. My wife and I are a fair ways along toward moving, and I wish we'd seen something like this 2 years ago (fortunately, our plans aren't really impacted by what I've read here, since we're still planning to move to Lake Arrowhead and rent, possibly Ojai if we feel strongly enough about it after visiting in July). But all these posts have most certainly disabused me of any rosy spectacles I may have had for anywhere in LA proper. Some posters, like FastFilm, seem really bitter, but reading through her posts, I have to say I'd feel the same way if all that had happened to me, and the bitterness is an instructive thing unto itself. RedNC, I have a question for you, if you really think Northeast real estate is priced similarly to CA real estate. I'm going to try to insert an image of a house that's in a really great suburb of NY, 25 miles out of Manhattan (33 minutes to midtown off-peak), right on the river, in a very artsy little community. 2500 square feet, 4 floors, Victorian built in 1858, on .2 acres, 5 beds, 2 baths, soundproof studio in the basement. How much do you imagine it sells for?:

http://www.gwhitty.com/addtracks/House5-02bSmall.JPG (broken link)
How much??? By the way, I sent you a private msg about Ojai. You can't even have Ojai mentioned in the same sentence as Los Angeles
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 PM
 
1,735 posts, read 4,451,441 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoW62
RedNC, I have a question for you, if you really think Northeast real estate is priced similarly to CA real estate. I'm going to try to insert an image of a house that's in a really great suburb of NY, 25 miles out of Manhattan (33 minutes to midtown off-peak), right on the river, in a very artsy little community. 2500 square feet, 4 floors, Victorian built in 1858, on .2 acres, 5 beds, 2 baths, soundproof studio in the basement. How much do you imagine it sells for?:

http://www.gwhitty.com/addtracks/House5-02bSmall.JPG (broken link)
I give up, how much?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2006, 07:38 AM
 
13 posts, read 107,699 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
I give up, how much?
Maybe a better question would be: how much would this house be in, say, Calabasas? And Enlightenme, I didn't get the private message but would be very interested in what you have to say...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
 
436 posts, read 590,969 times
Reputation: 243
You could never build a house like that in Calabasas. You'd need permits which would be unobtainable, the HOA's in Calabasas would bury you before you got started. A NY country-esque place 33 minutes from midtown - please, that would be very costly, I have a small interest in a commercial building in Mount Kisco, NY - I know a little about real estate costs out there. Ojai, CA - trying to live and commute from there is light years from the experience of visiting a bunch of times and saying, "..I think this would be a great place to live". My late wife and I used to stay for two weeks at a time in Ojai at a spiritual retreat, and we heard quite alot of frustrations (even back then) from local residents about things I cannot elaborate on in this forum or off-forum about life in Ojai. Dig deeper in your housing hunt as almost everything that's worth doing or being in SOCAL has already been exploited to the utmost. I'm well aware that I come across as a know-it-all/done-it-all, naysayer type of person, and I have my own personal issues that I'm always coping with (as we all do), but I really just want to convey the enormity of the challenges that a move from the NE to the southwestern part of CA presents in finding what you're seeking by your comments. If you're young enough to wade through the challenges, you may eventually find some peace in your life, along with a decent neighborhood environment - off course nothing really worthwhile comes easy in life. I still suggest Calabasas if you have kids (good schools) and can afford living there - lots of quiet in most neighborhoods (money shields you from much of the unpleasantries in LA/the Valley.

Last edited by brian_2; 06-15-2006 at 02:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
 
13 posts, read 107,699 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2
I'm well aware that I come across as a know-it-all/done-it-all, naysayer type of person, and I have my own personal issues that I'm always coping with (as we all do)
Actually, everything you've said (as well as most everything everybody's said) has been enormously helpful in shaping my take on what's going to be possible out there and how it's going to sit with me and my family. I get the impression that you understand what I'm going for, so please pipe in with any thoughts you have. Just to clarify, I work out of my basement studio (I write music for TV & small films and mix records, used to be more of a jazz musician), and probably wouldn't need to get into LA except for meetings (which may never materialize) or to mix at a client's studio (which may involve commuting every day for 3 weeks , though not at rush hour either way). My wife is working from home now also, but is a top-notch clinical research director, so proximity to biotech companies would be really great, though at this point not an absolute necessity. So in our house-hunt, I think we're still tilting toward Lake Arrowhead, for the cheap houses (lots of dandy 2100-sq-foot mountain homes for $450k and dropping), really good schools, very clean air (as I say, you look down at the brown cloud from up there), the lake, the small-town feel and the general close-to-nature vibe. Close to skiing, people (even the 4-year-olds) are almost supernaturally friendly, from what we've seen. It's a different head than most of LA. BUT, if my wife wanted (or needed) to get back into an office job, it's not possible, and should my career turn more toward in-person work, I'm going to commute like everyone else, though as I say I think not at rush hour as a rule. Agoura and Calabasas intrigue me because I think we could swing at least a townhouse or something in one of those developments; looks like they can be had for about $700k, the schools are great, the population is highly educated, seems safe, with no gang activity as near as I can tell, and it's only 20 miles from Burbank for me and close to Amgen and others for my wife. We'll drive through and look. I'd love to hear more about Ojai, whatever you've got; part of the appeal there is that I know there are a number of established film composers in Santa Barbara who could use what I do. And finally, the mystery house in the picture? That's our house in Nyack, NY, and it's on the market for $649k. Now you see why I laugh at the comment that "real estate values are roughly the same in the northeast and SOCAL...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM
 
1,735 posts, read 4,451,441 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoW62
Actually, everything you've said (as well as most everything everybody's said) has been enormously helpful in shaping my take on what's going to be possible out there and how it's going to sit with me and my family. I get the impression that you understand what I'm going for, so please pipe in with any thoughts you have. Just to clarify, I work out of my basement studio (I write music for TV & small films and mix records, used to be more of a jazz musician), and probably wouldn't need to get into LA except for meetings (which may never materialize) or to mix at a client's studio (which may involve commuting every day for 3 weeks , though not at rush hour either way). My wife is working from home now also, but is a top-notch clinical research director, so proximity to biotech companies would be really great, though at this point not an absolute necessity. So in our house-hunt, I think we're still tilting toward Lake Arrowhead, for the cheap houses (lots of dandy 2100-sq-foot mountain homes for $450k and dropping), really good schools, very clean air (as I say, you look down at the brown cloud from up there), the lake, the small-town feel and the general close-to-nature vibe. Close to skiing, people (even the 4-year-olds) are almost supernaturally friendly, from what we've seen. It's a different head than most of LA. BUT, if my wife wanted (or needed) to get back into an office job, it's not possible, and should my career turn more toward in-person work, I'm going to commute like everyone else, though as I say I think not at rush hour as a rule. Agoura and Calabasas intrigue me because I think we could swing at least a townhouse or something in one of those developments; looks like they can be had for about $700k, the schools are great, the population is highly educated, seems safe, with no gang activity as near as I can tell, and it's only 20 miles from Burbank for me and close to Amgen and others for my wife. We'll drive through and look. I'd love to hear more about Ojai, whatever you've got; part of the appeal there is that I know there are a number of established film composers in Santa Barbara who could use what I do. And finally, the mystery house in the picture? That's our house in Nyack, NY, and it's on the market for $649k. Now you see why I laugh at the comment that "real estate values are roughly the same in the northeast and SOCAL...
How much did you pay for that $650k house? How long have you owned it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
 
676 posts, read 2,934,024 times
Reputation: 792
Wow! And you want to give up that amazing house to live in a beige stucco townhouse in Calabasas??? I love your house. The person who said you could never have something like that in Calabasas was right because they must have a city ordinance that every structure must be a peachy beige color because that is all that you see there! Amgen is in Thousand Oaks and it is another safe community you may want to look into if you like that area. Calabasas, TO, Agoura are all next to each other and are areas where mostly upper-middle class people live who have to also frequent LA. The crime is low, no gangs, traffic usually gets bad right after Calabasas - no real problems to speak of except for not wearing the latest fashions or driving the best BMW I will try sending you another private message about Ojai. I am from Santa Barbara, but lived in Ojai about 10 years and know the area well. There is a completely different vibe in Ojai compared to those areas. It is actually quite different in Santa Barbara even though it is also a very wealthy area. It must have to do with being a coastal town. It just seems more kick back and mellow even with the LA people coming here for weekend getaways. I know nothing about Lake Arrowhead, so I can't help you there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2006, 01:46 PM
 
28 posts, read 31,811 times
Reputation: 0
Actually getting permits is not that bad in LA and surrounding cities. It will take a few months but there very helpful. Also check out Yucaipa. Its out of the smog but you don't have to contend with driving in the snow and close to a major freeway.

Last edited by Chunk; 06-16-2006 at 01:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2006, 07:27 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,287 posts, read 4,812,094 times
Reputation: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
I've spent half a century here, and we will move the second my husband retires. Weather isn't the only quality of life issue.

Los Angeles is only liveable if:
1)You're quite wealthy
2)You're an illegal immigrant
3)You love being in a gang

I am doing my best to abstain from berating fastfilm. She has obviously had a very rough, unhappy life. I am from LA. Lived on the East Coast for six years came back to LA for three and have now lived in San Diego for three after taking a new job here. I am an educated professional who earns a decent living, but I am certainly not "rich" and I absolutely LOVED living in LA before moving down to San Diego. If you love urbanity and like having tons of shopping, restaurants, and countless entertainment and cultural options available to you not to mention the recreational venues such as the beach and mountains at your fingertips, there's no excuse for not having a good life in LA. Of course, if you are poor or working class, life will be miserable for you just about anywhere. This is not unique to LA. The idea that the neighborhoods in LA proper are all gang infested is rediculous. I lived in Park LaBrea in the Fairfax and Third St area. I had the Grove and Farmers Market on one side and LACMA and Wilshire Blvd. on the other. I was paying rent, not a homeowner, and my neighborhood was safe, ecclectic and fun. There are many more neighborhoods like this all over LA. Fastfilm's remarks are grossly exaggerated and should not be taken seriously. Just because she lives in a gang infested neighborhood doesn't mean that the rest of LA does too.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 06-18-2006 at 07:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 6,335,840 times
Reputation: 1832
I couldn't find the gang map, so here's the list, in a few parts: Pt. 1
THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
BARRIO SAN FER,SAN FERNANDO CITY AND SYLMAR: BORREGO VALLE, JOKERS, HARDCORE FREAKS, YOUNGSTERS, LOCOS, CHICOS, PEEWEES, TINY LOCOS NEW CROWD,MID CITY BOYS, MACLAY BOYS, DUNAS, HOMEBOYS, MATANZAS SIDE LOCOS,
BLYTHE STREET, PANORAMA CITY: DUKES, NIGHT OUTS, RASKALS,CHICOS
PACAS, PACOIMA: PROJECT BOYS, PIERCE BOYS, HUMPHREY PARK BOYS, CRAZY BOYS, KNOCK KNOCK BOYS, SOUTH SIDE LOCOS, BROWN STONER LOCOS, PAXTON STREET LOCOS, LATIN RASCALS, VAN NUYS BOYS, VAUGHN STREET, GOLETA STREET, LEV BOYS, PACOIMA FLATS, LATIN TIMES, CRIMINALS, CAYUGA STREET, EL DORADO AVE, ILEX ST, PINNEY ST
DEAD END BOYS, PACOIMA
ARLETA BOYS
MISSION HILLS BOYS
SOL VALLE DIABLOS, SUN VALLEY
SUNLAND PARK LOCOS, SUNLAND
SOL VALLE VINELAND AVE BOYS, SUN VALLEY- NORTH HOLLYWOOD
BOYZ FROM THE HOOD, NORTH HOLLYWOOD-SUN VALLEY
WS CLANTON 14TH STREET, NORTH HOLLYWOOD:CRAZY ALLEY GANGSTERS
NS EIGHTEEN ST, NORTH HOLLYWOOD:MID VALLEY GANGSTERS,TINY VETS, PEEWEE WINOS
MARA SALVATRUCHA NS, NORTH HOLLYWOOD-NORTH HILLS- CHATSWORTH
NS ALLEY LOCOS, NORTH HOLLYWOOD
NORTH HOLLYWOOD BOYZ
NORTH HOLLYWOOD LOCOS
VANOWEN STREET LOCOS, VAN NUYS
BARRIO VAN NUYS:NORTH SIDE, SOUTH SIDE, DELANO STREET, CYCLONES, JOKERS, POOR BOYS, TINY LOCOS, TRAVIESOS,LOCOS
HASKELLS, VAN NUYS
CROOKS
VALERIO STREET, VAN NUYS: MIDGETS, LOCOS
TOKERS, VAN NUYS
SS RESEDA, WS RESEDA
CANOGA PARK ALABAMA STREET
BRYANT STREET, NORTH RIDGE
BROWN PRIDE SURENOS, NORTHRIDGE
BROWN PRIDE RAZA
SEPAS LANGDON STREET,SEPULVEDA-NORTH HILLS:PEEWEES, LOCOS, BOYS, SCHOOLYARD
COLUMBUS STREET, NORTH HILLS
VINCENT TOWN, NORTH HILLS
RADFORD ST, NORTH HOLLYWOOD
VARRIO BURBANK
SS ELMWOOD ST,BURBANK
WS LOCOS, GLENDALE
MISCELLANEOUS BARRIOS, AND CREW BECOME BARRIOS: CML, CMK, STP, MTLS,9700 BLOCK HUSTLAS,GRANADA HILLS DYP,129KLUMP ST, ELMER AVE, NS LENNOX, LOGAN HEIGHTS, TERRA BELLA ST, LAKEVIEW TERRACE, ORCAS,
NORTH EAST LA
TOONERVILLE, GLENDALE-ATWATER-TUJUNGA:JOKERS, LOS CRAZY VAGOS, NIGHT OWLS, LOMITA ST LOCOS, CHEVY CHASE PARK LOCOS, ATWATER LOCOS, DUKES, TOKERS, TINY LOCOS, YOUNGSTERS
WS THEE RASCALS, ATWATER
AVENUES AVENIDAS, EAGLE ROCK- HIGHLAND PARK- CYPRESS PARK- GLASSELL PARK- MT. WASHINGTON: CYPRESS CHICOS-ASESINOS-DREW ST, 43RD AVE, 50AVE, 60AVE, CYCLONES, NIGHT OWLS
HIGHLAND PARK
CYPRESS PARK
GLASSELL PARK
VARRIO NORTH EAST LOS ANGELES
EAST SIDE CLOVER, LINCOLN HEIGHTS
LINCOLN HEIGHTS
ROSE HILLS, MONTECITO HEIGHTS
HAPPY VALLEY
EL SERENO LOCKE STREET
ESR EL SERENO RIFA LOWELL ST
EAST SIDE EIGHTEEN STREET
HAZARDS
EAGLE ROCK TINY WINOS
TRES CANTOS
FADED BOYZ
MISCELLANEOUS:SURENOS, BOLAS, ATWATER VILLAGE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top