U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 10:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,344,769 times

Advertisements

I've spent half a century here, and we will move the second my husband retires. Weather isn't the only quality of life issue.

Los Angeles is only liveable if:
1)You're quite wealthy
2)You're an illegal immigrant
3)You love being in a gang
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2006, 11:39 PM

97 posts, read 553,891 times
Default No pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
I've spent half a century here, and we will move the second my husband retires. Weather isn't the only quality of life issue.

1)You're quite wealthy

I just returned to SoCal from the great green north. LA's not perfect but believe me, once you leave for a few years like I did, it looks a whole lot better! I've known a ton of people who left thinking the same thing as you and either came back or wish they could afford to come back. They all move away to Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, etc and find (as I did) that:

-the "locals" are often intellectually challenged (I'm being nice),
-the weather stinks,
-there is zero culture (unless demolition derby's are your thing!),
-most of rural America is on anti-depressants or drinks too much.

Try staying in SoCal but moving a little further out like Ventura, Santa Clarita, or Palm Springs. I'm in Long Beach and think it's the best kept secret in LA County!

My two cents worth!

Last edited by GregJ; 03-05-2006 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM

36 posts, read 138,511 times
Default My three cents worth

Long Beach is OK I guess.I live in LaMirad.It is a better place to live than Long Beach in my opinion. But also in my opinion Brea is the best urban place to live. It does not have the notoriety of Beverly Hills but has all the good stuff with out the pretence. The down side,cost. The price for a home is insanely high.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM

97 posts, read 553,891 times
Default LB again

I'd agree that Brea/Placential are actually pretty nice areas but they seem awfully congested. Being inland they get the bad LA air during the summer. I like being close to the beach for the obvious reasons. Hanging out in Belmont Shore/Seal Beach, kayaking in the bay, bike paths, and plenty to do works for me. Check it out!

Old 03-07-2006, 08:56 AM

11 posts, read 76,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm

1)You're quite wealthy

all of the above fo me

Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 15,876 times
Yeah..i agree with Jim Jimbo Jimmerson, only cause we live together..and the GaNgS here are cool, we love seeing the work they do on people's wall's lol and we havent paid our taxes in 4 years!!! we arnt going to let anything stop us either

Old 03-09-2006, 08:22 AM

11 posts, read 76,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy-tot
Yeah..i agree with Jim Jimbo Jimmerson, only cause we live together..and the GaNgS here are cool, we love seeing the work they do on people's wall's lol and we havent paid our taxes in 4 years!!! we arnt going to let anything stop us either
shhhhhhhh.... dont tell anyone...

Old 03-18-2006, 08:51 PM

Greg, I cannot afford nor do we want the 1,000 sq. ft., $800,000.00places in the locales you mentioned. (the Zillow site will back up prices. Are we allowed to mention sites and links here?) I am talking real, live 2006 prices.

We live in the San Fernando Valley, and can note that the locals here too are intellectually challenged to say the least, no adult speaks English, and all here appear to have the same vices to which you refer, given the homicides that regularly occur. I joined Neighborhood Watch so I could do something instead of just complain, so I have the police records of nearby total criminal offenses in my "hood" (you faux homies, and we consistently stop you) at my disposal. My husband, however, thinks I'm going to get shot for doing normal neighborhood activism.

However, it is a terrible way to live for middle class people, what with the destruction, weaponry, assaults, attacks, noise and nonstop disregard for all American laws, coupled with the isolation of no English speakers. (Refrain from suggesting we learn another language: we would have to speak a minimum of five others to understand all of our newer neighbors.)

Realistically, I believe the trade-offs will be worth it. It's become too expensive to live here. It's become too dangerous to live here. It's become impossible for non-polyglot linguists to live here. I have had 3 cars totalled in the last 5 years by unlicensed foreign-born drivers.
Unless you are, in my original assessment, rich, illegal or violent, Los Angeles is not a good place to live at all.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:21 AM

36 posts, read 138,511 times
Default News flash from the future!

Mexifornia formally known as California. White minorities still trying to have english reconized as Mexifornia`s third language. In other news,Castro finally dies at age 115;Cuban cigars can now be imported legally,but Presadent Chelsea Clinton has banned all smoking.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Buddy, I noted you live in La Mirada, and reccommend Brea as a good area. What do you, or your family and you do to afford $700K homes? And don't you think this is a tad unrealistic for most working people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles