Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should LA have a NFL team
yes 49 65.33%
no 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
RaiderNation is everywhere, not just Oakland or L.A. But they did happen to play there for a while, no?

For those who wear the colors but seem to have little connection with or knowledge about the actual team, you can blame NWA.
I know all about the Raiders history. I know NWA made wearing sports apparel popular. Before NWA, no one walked around in jerseys. Due to this, the Raiders made ALOT of money with merchandise which was a segment of the budget which never brought much.

The reason why NWA wore Raider gear is due to the colors. Wearing red or blue would get you shot depending what part of the city you were in. Wearing black meant nothing and you still looked tough. Plus, Ice Cube is a massive Raider fan.

Before that, the Raiders had nothing redeeming as a franchise. Their players enjoyed putting players on the injury list. John Madden is your best coach...JOHN MADDEN!? Seriously, that dude is as annoying as Rex Ryan today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
I can remember planning trips to LA around Raiders or Rams games when they would play the Redskins in LA because Redskins home game tickets were impossible to come by but Raiders or Rams tickets were so easy to get because they never sold out.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Raiders or Rams tickets were so easy to get because they never sold out.
Rams were kind of boring, and L.A. Raiders games were more of a spectacle of gangsters brawling every five minutes in the stands at the Coliseum, with a pro-football game down on the field to occasionally watch in between. Too bad - Bo + Marcus in the same backfield was pretty damn good!

Gladly, the Black Hole up here knows better. You fight, you get thrown out, you lose your season ticket. Only an occasional idiot way up in the cheap seats does that, and we don't need 'em.

Not sure if the old thuggery would return to L.A. if Al brings the team back down south.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Not sure if the old thuggery would return to L.A. if Al brings the team back down south.
in a heartbeat

Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
there are plenty of people in southern california who want an nfl team in LA - easily more than enough interest (and money) to support a team or two. don't believe the hype about "all" or "most" angelenos being apathetic to football and sports in general. as with many things in life, the reality is different than the stereotypes from outsiders.

the reason why LA hasn't landed a team in 15 years - and the reason why the city lost the rams and raiders in the first place - is because of the inability to construct a brand new, state-of-the-art, revenue-generating facility. the teams didn't leave because the market/fan interest was lacking. it was all about stadium issues.
Plenty doesn't mean all. I don't believe hype. Just go by what I see, and the Angelinos I've met have either said, NO L.A. doesn't need to have a team or, they said they need a team just for the "entertainment"..... Like that city doesn't have enough of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Plenty doesn't mean all. I don't believe hype. Just go by what I see, and the Angelinos I've met have either said, NO L.A. doesn't need to have a team or, they said they need a team just for the "entertainment"..... Like that city doesn't have enough of it.
so the angelenos you've met represent a large enough sample size to make generalized assumptions about the entire LA football fanbase despite the fact you live in texas?

if i told you that the overwhelming majority of my friends who are native angelenos are also die-hard nfl fans and were devastated by the loss of the rams or raiders, would that change your perception of the LA fanbase? i didn't think so. so please don't tell me that you "go by what you see" - your circle of friends, acquaintances, and internet buddies does not represent anything close to the majority of the LA pro football fanbase.

once again - the rams and raiders left because of stadium issues. you know, just like the oilers. and the browns. and possibly the chargers, vikings, rams, raiders, or one of the other relocation candidates to LA.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Rams were kind of boring, and L.A. Raiders games were more of a spectacle of gangsters brawling every five minutes in the stands at the Coliseum, with a pro-football game down on the field to occasionally watch in between. Too bad - Bo + Marcus in the same backfield was pretty damn good!

Gladly, the Black Hole up here knows better. You fight, you get thrown out, you lose your season ticket. Only an occasional idiot way up in the cheap seats does that, and we don't need 'em.

That's right you guys are in the Bay Area where people would rather hold hands and kiss than knock a mofo out. Not that that's anything to be proud of but just saying.

I have to agree about the LA Raider fans. I once saw a Denver Broncos fan wearing a rainbow wig, get tossed head over heels from the middle of section 20, down to the field level. Last i saw the ambulance came to get him. That was wrong.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
JJG

Quote:
so the angelenos you've met represent a large enough sample size to make generalized assumptions about the entire LA football fanbase despite the fact you live in texas?

if i told you that the overwhelming majority of my friends who are native angelenos are also die-hard nfl fans and were devastated by the loss of the rams or raiders, would that change your perception of the LA fanbase? i didn't think so. so please don't tell me that you "go by what you see" - your circle of friends, acquaintances, and internet buddies does not represent anything close to the majority of the LA pro football fanbase.

once again - the rams and raiders left because of stadium issues. you know, just like the oilers. and the browns. and possibly the chargers, vikings, rams, raiders, or one of the other relocation candidates to LA.

I'm NOT saying that at all. What I'm saying is, the number people from L.A. that I've met have either an apathetic attitude towards the idea or they want a team but they're not real sports fans.... just bandwagon jumpers who only say L.A. should have a team just cause.

Not saying that their are no die hard L.A. football fans wanting a team of their own. But I just haven't met to many Angelinos who are just begging for a team....

Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

I'm NOT saying that at all. What I'm saying is, the number people from L.A. that I've met have either an apathetic attitude towards the idea or they want a team but they're not real sports fans.... just bandwagon jumpers who only say L.A. should have a team just cause.

Not saying that their are no die hard L.A. football fans wanting a team of their own. But I just haven't met to many Angelinos who are just begging for a team....
once again, your experiences with a limited number of people from LA says nothing about the viability of the LA market or overall desire for pro football in the region. neither does it really suggest that "the NFL wants a team in L.A. more than L.A. does." it's merely an assumption on your part based on interactions with a very limited sample size of people.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 AM
JJG

Quote:
once again, your experiences with a limited number of people from LA says nothing about the viability of the LA market or overall desire for pro football in the region. neither does it really suggest that "the NFL wants a team in L.A. more than L.A. does." it's merely an assumption on your part based on interactions with a very limited sample size of people.
You just skipped the parts where I said "Not saying there are no die hard fans..."

But whatever. It's just something we're gonna have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles