Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 PM

32 posts, read 56,320 times

Advertisements

When I'm 19, I'll be moving to LA to attend LA Recording School. I'm going to be by myself. How hard will it be for a 19 year old to survive by himself? Can I survive with just a regular job and still pay rent on a n apartment and still have cash left over for fun? I'm gonna save up all of my money from now til then, which will be another 2 years. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 PM

36 posts, read 221,069 times
Default L A recording

Its thousands come here yearly for recording ,movies etc. Notsaying it cant be done though. Competition will be stiff. You might want to rent just a room to start and go for it. Lots of avenues out here.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:24 PM

72 posts, read 237,294 times
ooh sounds rough

u gonna B in debt from the recording school?

i wanted 2 do that same **** when i was 17, just keep learning about life b4 u graduate to make the move. make sure keep u str8 A's n build ur street cred up with ur peers in high school, ur gonna need all the connections u can get after u all graduate n all u guys r stranded with no real jobs. no matter what ur doing, if u don't kno about acting and how to be personable n good looking u better start learning now, n also learn how 2 B pro n take **** but not eat it

i got str8 A's but my family was just a bit too short of the poverty line to keep me around while i contribute nothing back to them, instead of going to school i had to go out in the world and realize that survival is a full time job in itself

also ur definitely gonna have to work some **** out with ur school for living arangements, i wouldn't try it unless i had student discounts on living n whatnot...... tho if u have the money to move to LA, u might as well look at NYC instead, but that's just IMO.

my attitude towards this is so dismissive bcuz of the state of the music industry right now. the music industry sucks right now bro. i'm sure u have better chances in LA than where ur at now but u kinda gotta B a jack of all trades 2 do anything. like as a theoretical scenario the top paid recording artists were probably interns outta school who got their job by some complex social web like knowing a stage coach who did acting with a guy from a band who paid $1000 cash to get introduced to a record producer and got the hookup through the stage coach from the guy in the band by cutting a deal on coke with the stage coach to introduce him to the band member to introduce him to the record producer to apply for a job as a recording artist. that's why i say if u wanna be successful at all no matter what it is u gotta kno how to act n be personable cuz u gotta start ur career somewhere. it's better to be str8 outta recording school with independent acting jobs or a history of playing gigs n financial stability n good looks than it is to be str8 outta recording school just some jackass str8 outta recording school knawimsayin

Last edited by vic the trader; 10-03-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 04:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdavis View Post
When I'm 19, I'll be moving to LA to attend LA Recording School. I'm going to be by myself. How hard will it be for a 19 year old to survive by himself? Can I survive with just a regular job and still pay rent on a n apartment and still have cash left over for fun? I'm gonna save up all of my money from now til then, which will be another 2 years. Help?
Did you know this forum has a search function?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM

32 posts, read 56,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Did you know this forum has a search function?
So what? People like you make forums unfun. I wanted to ask a questio. And get direct answers. So what?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm not an expert but some of the other threads on this topic have questioned the whole "recording school" concept and whether it's worth it or not. You should check that out. Jobs are scarce for a high school grad who can only work part time (because of school) so you won't get your own apartment and will probably need a couple of roommates. You probably won't have "fun money" left unless your parents are picking up the tab. You will be taking out loans for school too? Check places outside of CA that might be less costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles