U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 27,974 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I was in hollywood and about to make a right turn. It was yellow and halfway through my turn, it turned red and the camera flashed. Am i at fault for this?

I've heard different answers. Some people say that even when it's yellow, I have to yield at the right turn and stop completely even when it's yellow or green. Is this true?

So basically, I saw the yellow, tried to make it, but it turned red halfway through and flashed. Can anyone give some insight? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 AM

7,159 posts, read 19,881,054 times
my brother in law got a ticket in the mail in a very similar situation. you can even see him driving his car, kinda weird. you're probably out of luck on this one.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM

thanks for the input. But, do you know the traffic rules to making a right turn, in that, do you have to stop even when it's green or yellow and then continue? Basically, I saw the yellow and decided to make the turn. Thanks

Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM

contrary to popular opinion, i'm pretty sure the law says yellow means slow and prepare to stop. if you never came to a complete stop, you'll probably get a ticket.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Ok thanks. But if you can answer thsi question, i'd appreciate it: when you're about to make a right turn, and it's a green light, do you make any stop at all? Or do you continue the right turn without any stops because it's a green light?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 AM

on a green light you can make a right unless there are pedestrians in the crosswalk. you can make a turn on a red light as well, but you must stop first and yield to cross traffic. apparently this is not allowed in some states.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM

okay, thanks again. So technically, I have a chance of not getting the ticket, because I was halfway through making the turn and then the red went off. I've heard from some other sources that this is okay. The main issue I was wondering about was whether or not I had to stop regardless at a right turn due to potential pedestrians. But there weren't any, so my not stopping isn't an issue. And now the only issue is if that halfway red light thing counts against me.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM

14,534 posts, read 16,689,546 times
There seems to be a bit of misinformation in this topic, possibly because of the dual issue of the traffic signal and the right turn. Note that the following applies specifically to California.

If you are already in an intersection when the light turns red then there is no violation--you may proceed through the light. You get a ticket only if you enter the intersection after the traffic signal has turned red.

Unless otherwise posted you can make a right turn without stopping any time the traffic signal is not red (subject to right of way to other vehicles and pedestrians).

If the light turned red after you began your right turn, i.e. your car was already in the intersection, then there is no violation. However if the light has turned red before you entered the intersection then you must come to a complete stop before entering the intersection and before beginning your right turn.

A yellow light is just a warning, and is otherwise the same as a green light. The violation occurs only if you enter an intersection when the traffic signal is red.

If your description of the events is correct then you should not expect to receive a ticket.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There seems to be a bit of misinformation in this topic, possibly because of the dual issue of the traffic signal and the right turn. Note that the following applies specifically to California.

If you are already in an intersection when the light turns red then there is no violation--you may proceed through the light. You get a ticket only if you enter the intersection after the traffic signal has turned red.

Unless otherwise posted you can make a right turn without stopping any time the traffic signal is not red (subject to right of way to other vehicles and pedestrians).

If the light turned red after you began your right turn, i.e. your car was already in the intersection, then there is no violation. However if the light has turned red before you entered the intersection then you must come to a complete stop before entering the intersection and before beginning your right turn.

A yellow light is just a warning, and is otherwise the same as a green light. The violation occurs only if you enter an intersection when the traffic signal is red.

If your description of the events is correct then you should not expect to receive a ticket.
Thank you Lovehound for your time and very helpful information. According to your statements, I should not get a ticket because of the halfway thing that I explained.

Just for paranoia's sake, do you know why the sensor was still set off and I got flashed? Maybe I actually didn't make the yellow light and I actually ran a red? I don't think there were any other cars that violated anything.

Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM

that is not entirely accurate either, one can still be cited for running a yellow light, it would be at the discretion of the officer who decides the intent of the driver running the yellow light (i've been to traffic school a few times, i know). in your case with the camera, they'll have to look at the timing of when the light turned yellow and compare it to when you actually entered the intersection. if you had ample time to stop after the light turned yellow, you'll most likely be ticketed (as my brother in law was). if it turned yellow just before you entered the intersection, then there was probably no way for you to react and stop fast enough, so a citation probably won't be issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles