Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,048,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I guess getting a bar fridge never crossed my mind.
That's why they pay me the big bucks, Mr. Aguilar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM

8,382 posts, read 13,540,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky55 View Post
this is funny. we are VERY laid back people..and I dont get the whole "ritz" way of thinking...

...I'm sooo ready to deal with traffic, as long as the roads aren't lined with corn feilds and everyone I see is white! haha! (I live in a town of 15,000 and grew up in a town of 600)... SO ready for the city life!
Then you will like Long Beach, it has the small, laid back beach town vibe to it which I like a lot. I do not make much either but then I will a fairly conservative life. I am single, I do not smoke, do drugs or party (...like it was 1999). If I drink (once in a blue moon), I drink a little at home. I eat out seldom. Eating out is really bad and a big part of this nation's obesity problem. It is much more economical to eat in. You will like LB even more if you are into riding bicycles or moppets/scooters. Overall the city is clean and safe. The area I live in is within your price range too (- Kujo).

It is part Orange County and part LA, 25-30 minutes to John Wayne, 25-30 minutes to LAX unless you hit really bad traffic.
Normal So Cal traffic will make the Midwest rush hour traffic seem like you are the only driver left after a Zombie Apocalypse hit the city. Really really bad traffic can make you snap, leave your non-moving vehicle and take off on foot like Michael Douglas did in "Falling Down". CA traffic jams could drive a sane person insane, that is why most of the people living here are probably half-way certifiable.

I can relate to getting bored in a small town but don't be too anxious for the CA traffic, once the novelty wore off, you will be one of the hordes of people cussing and whining. Just wait, it will happen.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,022,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And in between those times you spent a lot of time on the toilet with the results of eating food that had been sitting in the cupboard all night.
Give me a break! I was 20!

And no, I do not recall how I much time I spent near the latrine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's why they pay me the big bucks, Mr. Aguilar.
See, if I had known you back then you would have wised me right up.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 AM

9 posts, read 23,356 times
Long Beach is a great place to live. Climate rocks. Schools are great. 1st, 2nd streets from Alamitos south are nice and didn't used to be expensive. Avoid North Long Beach. Nowhere to be. Long Beach, Signal Hill, Lakewood they're all great. So far as taking 40 goes, know that Arizona currently has a VERY strict, unforgiving attitude towards traffic enforcement. My sister has an apartment a few months out of the year in Seal Beach and gets to keep her greyhound. You can find them. East side's better than west side, IMHO. You know Long Beach is known as "Iowa by the sea" don't you? It's great.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,048,344 times
"fibber mcghee in mali"

I wonder how many of us gentle readers here at C-D actually get that screen name? I do, Curmudgeon and Nita will.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:23 AM

20 posts, read 28,703 times
I'm really confused.... Haha.

What are you meaning ny Arizona has strict rules?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM

BTW -- We are no longer moving to Long Beach, we're going to Sacramento... but still, I'd like to know what you mean by Arizona has strict rules.... we're going to be taking the same route.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
BTW -- We are no longer moving to Long Beach, we're going to Sacramento... but still, I'd like to know what you mean by Arizona has strict rules.... we're going to be taking the same route.
Why would you take I-40 from Iowa to Sacramento?

Arizona is somewhat known for being authoritarian when it comes to traffic enforcement. They even have speed cameras around Phoenix.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Why would you take I-40 from Iowa to Sacramento?

Arizona is somewhat known for being authoritarian when it comes to traffic enforcement. They even have speed cameras around Phoenix.

We are kind of being forced to... we can't go straight West on I-80 without the risk of getting stuck due to snow and bad weather. We are moving the last week of December and really have no other choice. We're kind of turning it into a 3 and 1/2 day adventure, stopping along the way in different states and such...

any other ideas on what we can do? We are bring a car, an SUV and pulling a U Haul trailer... I just have the feeling we will leave, get close the mountains and the roads will end up closed or really crappy due to weather...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
We are kind of being forced to... we can't go straight West on I-80 without the risk of getting stuck due to snow and bad weather. We are moving the last week of December and really have no other choice. We're kind of turning it into a 3 and 1/2 day adventure, stopping along the way in different states and such...

any other ideas on what we can do? We are bring a car, an SUV and pulling a U Haul trailer... I just have the feeling we will leave, get close the mountains and the roads will end up closed or really crappy due to weather...
I've done three moves like that, but all in the summer.

Theoretically, getting stuck due to weather could happen no matter which route you take. Oklahoma was a pain last Christmas, for example.

Disclaimer: This is just me, don't take it as advice. I drive the CO mountains (which you would not be driving through) in snowstorms all the time. I would just go the most direct route and chance it, but be careful of course. You might not encounter anything worth noting. But if you do, you can always stop and wait it out.

Disclaimer #2. My wife delivered a MRI tube from Denver to Provo, UT during a snowstorm the week before Christmas in 2007. She went up to I-80 and went west. It was whiteout conditions from Laramie west to Rawlins. The road was closed at Rawlins. She went to the local Super 8. The only empty room was closed due to maintenance. She negotiated an $89 price on it.

Four hours later, she got word from dispatch that the road was back open. She checked out of the motel room and went back to the highway, which was closed. She went back to the motel to see if she could get her room key back. They told her no. So instead of dropping another $89 on a room, she braved the -15°F temps in our van. I forgot to mention the best part, she had her sister and three screaming kids with her.

She got to Provo almost an entire day late.

Have fun (no matter what you decide), and welcome to the West!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles