Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintChapstick View Post
westcoastbabe, I keep seeing your post here, and feel I should respond, but I'm not sure how much help I can be. I'm older than you, and I'm self-employed.

That said, I'll try since you're not getting any other feedback. I grew up in VA and have lived all over the South including NC. I moved here a little over 4 years ago for my business. I didn't come out here first. I wouldn't advise that to less adaptable people OR for anyone who does not have a job lined up or lots of money or very generous friends here.

I did the u-haul thing (downsized before the move) and had a blast driving across the country. At present, though, there are many people without a job here that are leaving the state. They are selling their things cheaply, so you might consider selling everything you don't have an attachment to and simply replacing things when you get here.

As far as costs, I'm sure you know that LA is generally more expensive than NC. There are costs that you might not think about like much higher car insurance. Another example of something you might not thing of: I have to valet park at my doctor's office--parking in general can bite you so you must be aware. Don't rent a place that doesn't have parking either.

On the other hand, I pay much less for utilities than I did in VA or NC because of the weather here. I'm having to strongly consider going back to VA next spring (I really need to but not sure I want to) because of family reasons, and I'm appalled at the price of rentals in VA. When I add in what I'll have to pay for heat, I'll be paying more in rent+utilities to live in VA. Remember, I'm a renter and thinking in those terms. If you want to buy a house, you had better do some long and hard research about buying here before you come.

As for the "vibe" there are lots of different neighborhoods that make up LA. I've lived in four different neighborhoods (yeah, I like to change the scenery from my windows) and each was different. If you come out here, you need to take some time and look around to see what fits you. Or post more info on what you like to do, etc., and maybe we can help.

Now as to the Southern thing versus the west coast. There's just too much to say about this. If you have a specific question, ask. Maybe you don't care much for the Southern culture and that's why you want to leave. I personally love lots of aspects of Southern life, others not so much. As for the west coast (and I've not explored all of it) I wouldn't live anywhere but LA.

So, a chatty, long message for someone who claimed not to know how to be of help. But that's just the Southern in me, I guess.
Hey thanks for the response.....Really needed it...Gonna put the house on the market in Jan.2011, continue to say my money and hope for the best...I just feel it is something that I have to do...Never felt so positive about a life-change as I do about this...I figure what better time to do it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,839 times
Please don't come out here and start casting your conservative votes (if you are a conservative). We don't like it when all these transplants come in from southern states and start trying to make California like a southern state. We like our liberalism here and if that means there is more Mexicans or a little more taxes so be it (granted most of us would prefer less taxes and more control of illegal immigration but want those things without a complete conservative makeover). We are trying to give gays more rights, we are trying to make marijauna legal, and we don't like wars which is why many of us are trying to keep Barbara Boxer in the senate because she won't vote for stupid wars that only make defense companies and energy companies very rich. If you come here, adapt, please don't try to change it.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Please don't come out here and start casting your conservative votes (if you are a conservative). We don't like it when all these transplants come in from southern states and start trying to make California like a southern state. We like our liberalism here and if that means there is more Mexicans or a little more taxes so be it (granted most of us would prefer less taxes and more control of illegal immigration but want those things without a complete conservative makeover). We are trying to give gays more rights, we are trying to make marijauna legal, and we don't like wars which is why many of us are trying to keep Barbara Boxer in the senate because she won't vote for stupid wars that only make defense companies and energy companies very rich. If you come here, adapt, please don't try to change it.
Please come out here and spread your southern charm and hospitality. California could use a little more of it. We would love to have a Southern Bell move to our state (instead of another disgusting, know it all, new yorker).

Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times
I just feel that Los Angeles could give me what I need, which are "OPTIONS'. Yes, we have options as far as jobs, things to do, but not like LA...and shoot since I am single w/no kids, I feel why not...Just dont want to go through life saying what if and I should've....Most of my family has lived here and never ventured outside of the city and to me thats sad and no way to live life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles