Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM

13 posts, read 54,579 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a question for the LA experts in this forum.

1. Would a commute to downtown LA from Marina Del Rey be excruciating on a daily basis? (I was told it could range from 45 minutes to an hour and 10 minutes and that it will get real old after a while.) To me, anything less than one hour is tolerable to me. I'm assuming there are ways to avoid using the San Diego Freeway, although I'm not certain how much time using such an avoidant route would truly save.

2. Generally, do homes and apartments in areas by the ocean, including Santa Monica, Venice, etc., have mold issues? Here on the east coast, where we have the omnipresent humidity monster, living near the water oftentimes means having everything in your apartment damp constantly unless you run a dehumidifier. Papers curl, carpet seems damp, salt corrodes pipes, just a general icky feeling, etc. I'm just wondering if it's not like that out in CA due to less humidity in the air in general.

Thanks for your insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter1 View Post
Hello. I have a question for the LA experts in this forum.

1. Would a commute to downtown LA from Marina Del Rey be excruciating on a daily basis? (I was told it could range from 45 minutes to an hour and 10 minutes and that it will get real old after a while.) To me, anything less than one hour is tolerable to me. I'm assuming there are ways to avoid using the San Diego Freeway, although I'm not certain how much time using such an avoidant route would truly save.

2. Generally, do homes and apartments in areas by the ocean, including Santa Monica, Venice, etc., have mold issues? Here on the east coast, where we have the omnipresent humidity monster, living near the water oftentimes means having everything in your apartment damp constantly unless you run a dehumidifier. Papers curl, carpet seems damp, salt corrodes pipes, just a general icky feeling, etc. I'm just wondering if it's not like that out in CA due to less humidity in the air in general.

Thanks for your insights!
1) Those commute times seem about right. I'm in Santa Monica and [when] I commute to DTLA, its about 40-60 minutes. You'll need to add in a few minutes to get up to the 10. Its more or less a reverse commute ..... most people commute from the East INTO West LA.

2) I haven't had any experience with mold (except in a bathroom, that was not property vented). LA, as a general rule, is dry .... its not normally humid out. LA also offers about 11 months per year of "windows open" weather. This helps keep things aired out.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
regarding the commute, i've never made it but i have had to commute from the MDR area to other parts of LA. the 90 is smooth sailing until you have to transition to the 405, which will be pretty slow until the 10. the 10 moves, but it certainly isn't wide open. i'd say your estimates are probably close to correct. however, if public transit is something you are interested in, there is an express bus that goes from the marina to downtown. i see it almost everyday, it's called the 'commuter express'.

I've lived near the coast for the past 5 years and mold is a very minor issue. i had worse problems with rust on certain items.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i had worse problems with rust on certain items.
To elaborate on this .... I've had some pretty nasty corrosion issues on my bikes (both motorcycles and cycle) that are ridden near the ocean. The salty ocean air can take a huge toll .... if you don't keep your stuff clean. But never any issues with house.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 AM

13 posts, read 54,579 times
1200RT and BRinSM: This is very helpful information. Thank you both very much! Your expert advice is much appreciated!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,106 times
Commuter Express #437 from Marina Del Rey to Downtown takes about 40-50 minutes FYI.

Commuter Express 437
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles