Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 28,525 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I live in West Los angeles. I need basic internet service (email, surf the net), I dont need TV cable or telephone. Just the internet.
any suggestion for ISPs in my area with less than $20/month (internet only).

I looked at Time warner cable. they offer roadrunner for 34.95/month. anyone here uses this service? I wonder if it is fast and secure?

many thanks,

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,541,864 times
I use Time Warner/Road Runner at home.

Its quick ... and as secure as you'd need it to be. Security breaks down when a wireless router is brought into the mix (a different conversation for a different thread).

You shouldn't have any issues with the basic road runner service.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2010 View Post
I looked at Time warner cable. they offer roadrunner for 34.95/month. anyone here uses this service? I wonder if it is fast and secure?
I've got it and it's really fast (10 Mbps here). I've got a $29.99 rate but that's a teaser and going to go up to near $50 in about a year. (Too bad I won't be here then!)

You should check their site for rates and deals. Your alternative is DSL, cheaper but slower (in my area, YMMV).

Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Your alternative is DSL, cheaper but slower (in my area, YMMV).
Its been awhile since i had to price out DSL, but you might also have to have a phone (voice) line to get DSL service. Or at least .... they'll make you get one.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM

With more and more people going cellphone only I wonder how long that's going to last... I'm cutting the wire at the end of the year.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
With more and more people going cellphone only I wonder how long that's going to last... I'm cutting the wire at the end of the year.
I can't wait. The only thing i'm concerned about is the ability to steam things like Netflix. I pay $39.99/month for Blackberry and $50 for time warner .... i would love to lose one of those bills (even if the other went up slightly)

Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,609,002 times
My friend in Westwood has basic DSL through Verizon and she pays $20/month. But i'm not sure if that's a special rate that's combined with her phone service or not. Another option if you don't use too much bandwidth watching movies/Youtube is to get a 3g modem & a pay-as-you-go plan (such as Virgin). A co-worker does that since his apartment rent includes basic cable/internet and $30~$40/month allows him to take his laptop everywhere & not worry about searching for hotspots.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 28,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I use Time Warner/Road Runner at home.

Its quick ... and as secure as you'd need it to be. Security breaks down when a wireless router is brought into the mix (a different conversation for a different thread).

You shouldn't have any issues with the basic road runner service.
Hi 1200RT, You said it was as secure as you'd need it to be. you mean as long as my computer is connect to their cable, it's safe enough for me to do banking/shopping online? when they activated the line, they did not install any security software in my compter.

Many thanks all of you for your answers.

Sara

Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Hi 1200RT, You said it was as secure as you'd need it to be. you mean as long as my computer is connect to their cable, it's safe enough for me to do banking/shopping online? when they activated the line, they did not install any security software in my compter.

Many thanks all of you for your answers.

Sara
Well.......

The way you have it connected is secure from an "internet" point of view - meaning that no one can access your internet line and steal data from you that way ..

With that being said, software isn't the responsibility of the internet provider, that is something you should handle on your own. Just because you internet "connection" is secure, doesn't mean that there aren't other ways to steal your info.

I'm sure there are more qualified people than myself to answer ....

Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Get a router and put that between your computer and cable or DSL modem. Popular brands are Linksys and Netgear, either about $50-$100. You should get some computer advice on how to set it up at a forum that covers that subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles