Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 24,214 times

Advertisements

I presently rent in Nassau County on LI, NY near my folks' and both my brothers, and pretty much all my friends.

But here's the thing: a couple of years ago, I was laid off from my corporate job and have since been doing everything including temp work and a retail stock job in the evenings, to pay rent, eat, etc. Did you ever see the film Up In the Air with Clooney? Remember the opening sequence where he fires Zach Galifianakis? Yeah, I was sitting in Zach's seat, but in real life. I had one of those moments and a "this could be an opportunity for better things, blah, blah" talk.

I'm pushing Forty, a young looking 38 in fact, and I'm suffering from a near-mid life crisis. I haven't accomplished much and feel I need a new change of environment to kick start things for me; to Etch a Sketch my life, basically.

I'm considering the City of Angels, because, why not, it's California and I'll dig up those screenplays I wrote in college (since then I've written two unpublished novels), re-write them and see what happens there. The advantage is that I would be available to take any meetings.

More than anything, I think I need a new place to start fresh. Sure, it'll get lonely for a while, being away from everyone, but I'll deal with that and I'm a fairly personable, laid back guy, so I think I'll be okay.

I do have work experience and a BA from a SUNY college, so I could attempt to find an office gig, do the 9-5 thing and write at night.

I realize that trying my hand at the game this late is a huge obstacle, but there are no guarantees regarding success....or failure. Many screen writers still do work into their sixties and longer.

So for the question: any advice for what parts of L.A. I should be considering, if I would be, say, living on a salary of $40K-$45K annually? I'm a bachelor, so I don't need to live in a great school district; a place where I could step out for a coffee, or a beer at a local dive without getting mugged would be nice though.

Any words of wisdom about apartment rentals and real estate? I'd be looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment.

Last edited by JimmyIsTheOne; 10-13-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM

437 posts, read 810,692 times
I am like you thinking of moving to LA I recently graduated from Florida Atlantic University with Marketing and Management degree and could not find jobs related to my field here . Is it wise for me to come up to West Coast or stick to East Coast NYC or Florida to search for jobs . How is the job market for marketing jobs there in West Coast compared to East Coast and is it wise to move now or shall i move to NYC ? Is LA more in criss than in NYC where is wiser for me to move as a recent college graduate ? NYC Or LA . Please give me some advice thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 24,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
I am like you thinking of moving to LA I recently graduated from Florida Atlantic University with Marketing and Management degree and could not find jobs related to my field here . Is it wise for me to come up to West Coast or stick to East Coast NYC or Florida to search for jobs . How is the job market for marketing jobs there in West Coast compared to East Coast and is it wise to move now or shall i move to NYC ? Is LA more in criss than in NYC where is wiser for me to move as a recent college graduate ? NYC Or LA . Please give me some advice thanks
Dude, not to be rude, but punctuation is your friend.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 PM

437 posts, read 810,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyIsTheOne View Post
lol i know i type it in a hurry

Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM

89 posts, read 214,922 times
Quote:
So for the question: any advice for what parts of L.A. I should be considering, if I would be, say, living on a salary of $40K-$45K annually? I'm a bachelor, so I don't need to live in a great school district; a place where I could step out for a coffee, or a beer at a local dive without getting mugged would be nice though.

Any words of wisdom about apartment rentals and real estate? I'd be looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment.
My words of wisdom, such as they are: Consider a roommate situation.

Others may have different experiences, but I haven't seen any studios or 1-bedrooms in decent, accessible areas of town for under $950 -- and that's for a tiny studio nowhere near a freeway or metro line. Realistically, you're looking at $1200-$1500 for a 1-bedroom. You should be able to split a 2-bedroom apartment or house for well under $1000/month on your part.

Besides saving you money, looking for a roommate before you move can help you get started with the networking that's so important in the entertainment industry. I'm in L.A. under similar circumstances -- mid-30s, single, one foot in the entertainment industry, uncertain employment -- so I know that living with a roommate at this stage of your life isn't the most thrilling prospect, but think of it this way: You won't really know where you want to live until you've had some time to explore the city. Living with a friend of a friend of a friend's old college roommate for a year will help you get your bearings, (hopefully) find steady employment, assess your income and figure out what you can afford on your own.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,093,592 times
Quote:
What punctuation?

To the OP, $45K isn't much. I'd suggest you consider having a roommate, or two. Or otherwise you're not going to be living in the best of accommodations.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM

425 posts, read 957,953 times
I'm also in the NYC to LA boat, may go w/ a group of freinds...kind of like a certain HBO show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: