Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Right... but celebrities aren't getting paid to be interrupted at dinner. Maybe they wouldn't mind so much if everyone prefaced it with "Here's a $20. Hi."
I run across them all the time in Beverly Hills, as long as you are respectful and not desperate they are nice.

If I like their stuff I may say, "Hi, just wanted to say you have brought great pleasure to our family, thanks" They usually love that.

Couple of times ago I was a short time with Gerard Butler while taking my little fellow to the doctor in Beverly Hills. Just gave a nice smile and he smiled back.
Leno was cute and came over while I was shopping at Whole Foods to look at my little guy when he was a baby in the shopping cart. Cute stuff.

Every situation is different, just don't over react and make someone uncomfortable.

Right now the best place to run into folks during the Xmas season is at "The Grove". You almost have to run into someone there every time you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 PM

147 posts, read 311,957 times
I am planning my second trip to LA spring 2011, i'm going to go in with a mindset of meeting no body therefore whoever I meet will be a bonus

Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I run across them all the time in Beverly Hills, as long as you are respectful and not desperate they are nice.

If I like their stuff I may say, "Hi, just wanted to say you have brought great pleasure to our family, thanks" They usually love that.

Couple of times ago I was a short time with Gerard Butler while taking my little fellow to the doctor in Beverly Hills. Just gave a nice smile and he smiled back.
Leno was cute and came over while I was shopping at Whole Foods to look at my little guy when he was a baby in the shopping cart. Cute stuff.

Every situation is different, just don't over react and make someone uncomfortable.

Right now the best place to run into folks during the Xmas season is at "The Grove". You almost have to run into someone there every time you go.
I recently saw a celeb (that I like a lot, but is more of a character acter) at Whole Foods in Burbank. It was NOT, however, Gerard Butler who would probably fall in love with me immediately if he saw me... so that's a good thing, as I'm married. . I think any high-end organic supermarket would probably be a good place to see celebrities.

I used to see celebs at The Grove all the time, back in the day. No one all that great, though. Mostly Andy Dick, heh. I've seen a few at Book Soup, too.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
I've never truly understood this infatuation with celebrities. I mean, it's just a job, and being an actor used to be looked down by society way back when. It is seriously the most overrated career anyone could have, yet they are placed high up on pedestals.
I can appreciate an actors good work, but for me i'm lost on the whole "celebrity" thing. I know the media heavily pushes being a celebrity = cool, and it pisses me off.
There are a couple good articles i've read regarding the infatuation with celebrities. In a way, it's like a drug. People look to famous rich people to take their minds off the cruel realities of the world in front of them. I know there is a proper medical term for celebrity infatuation, but don't know what it is.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHopeful View Post
Yep, and as soon as I walked out of my car in hollywood someone asked for money for a doughnut haha.
Musta been a former cop!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:44 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
Quote:
just pointing out the fact that people that want to get into the acting biz do it to become famous.
That's what is wrong with the world today. It's a job. Most do it because they have talent and want to make a career of it.
If someone only wants to become an actor to have their 15 mins of fame, that's pretty lame, IMO.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
That's what is wrong with the world today. It's a job. Most do it because they have talent and want to make a career of it.
If someone only wants to become an actor to have their 15 mins of fame, that's pretty lame, IMO.

Fame and money go hand in hand, if actors wanted to do gigs just to hone their talent they would do stage alot more than feature film productions. Feature films have alot of cgi and effects whereas stage acting is alot more refined. However, a vast majority of actors would prefer to be in feature films and television for more recognition, even though their talents would lead them to become stage actors.

A great example is Chelsea Grammar who started off doing stage but ended up on Frasier.

Also we can do whatever we want in our life times but after we pass away we are not remembered (10-20 years down the road). When you enter an industry and dominate it and attain that fame, you live on forever through your work.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 AM

378 posts, read 761,029 times
Quote:
just pointing out the fact that people that want to get into the acting biz do it to become famous.
While I'm sure there are plenty of folks who do get into the industry with the intent to become famous, it's only a fraction, and they're short-lived. People who get in to become famous generally aren't willing to put forth the insane amount of hard work, training, and financial cost required to succeed as an actor. People who last, and who get work, are the ones who work hard because they love what they do. They're not in it for fame. They're in it because they love their job.

My idea of success in the industry is not whether Joe Schmoe on the street knows your name. It's whether or not you have a reputation as someone directors like to hire, or actors like to work with. Someone who casting directors ring up your agent because they want to make sure you're included in the casting call. THAT is something worth striving for if you're going to be an actor. Fame is a weird and fickle thing, and those who live for it generally get chewed up and spit out by it before long.

If you don't love acting enough to be willing to stand around on a set for 12-15 hours doing the five millionth take of a problematic scene, or slogging through an agonizing all-night tech rehearsal onstage, or hearing the client whose radio ad you're laying down decide that he liked take one better after you did take 27 three hours later, then you need to find another line of work. Red carpets are one millionth of a percent of an actor's life; the three scenarios described above are anywhere from 30 to 75 percent, depending on how successful you are. The rest is audition, audition, audition, train, train, train, practice, practice, practice.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

I totally agree, the passion has to be there as the foundation, the money and fame generally do not deter someone from becoming an actor however.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
These days the best place to meet celebrities is at The Betty Ford Clinic in Palm Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles