Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 27,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It trash cans on the sidewalk send you into a rage, perhaps LA isn't the place for you.
Who ever said anything about being "in a rage." I'm trying to solve a problem through legal channels. I guess for the thinking impaired this may be a novel concept, but there are constructive ways of improving a neighborhood. I was hoping to find some new ideas in that regard here. Obviously, that isn't the case.

What I've found here is you Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
OK, we're just having a little fun.

Did you try knocking on the guy's door? Sounds like you've done everything else. If that doesn't work, then you might just have to deal with it.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
I looked at the picture you posted, and the sidewalk appears to be in violation of city code.
First, not only is it not wide enough, but beyond the sloped driveway in the foreground, the bushes in the background are a direct hinderence to foot traffic.
Sidewalks MUST remain unobstructed at all time for easy access to foot traffic.
Now, let's take a look at that sloped driveway.
I would bet the farm it does not comply with city building codes.
It should have a gradual slope to the garage, which would encompass the sidewalk.
As it is built now, it presents a dangerous condition to anyone walking on, or near it.
This may be worthwhile to bring up too the department of building and safety.
I could be mistaken here, but it has always been my understanding that sidewalks constructed in the city of Los Angeles must have a walking perimiter of at least 32" in width.
Building and safety would have the information on this.
It is obvious the homeowner is at fault with the trash recepticals, but short of your city council member, I don't think you will get much help with them removing them.
Bob.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Its probably grandfathered in. It looks really old.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I looked at the picture you posted, and the sidewalk appears to be in violation of city code.
First, not only is it not wide enough, but beyond the sloped driveway in the foreground, the bushes in the background are a direct hinderence to foot traffic.
Sidewalks MUST remain unobstructed at all time for easy access to foot traffic.
It should have a gradual slope to the garage, which would encompass the sidewalk.
As it is built now, it presents a dangerous condition to anyone walking on, or near it.
This may be worthwhile to bring up too the department of building and safety.
I could be mistaken here, but it has always been my understanding that sidewalks constructed in the city of Los Angeles must have a walking perimiter of at least 32" in width.
Building and safety would have the information on this.
It is obvious the homeowner is at fault with the trash recepticals, but short of your city council member, I don't think you will get much help with them removing them.
Bob.
Driveway grandfathered or not (still worth looking into) you are right about the vegetation covering the sidewalk and there is not doubt that this is a safety hazard not to mention a complete disaster for anyone in a wheelchair.

Thank you for the reply.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
THAT'S a sidewalk?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
free to leave their garage door open 24 hours a day
What's wrong with that?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM

The reason this is such an issue is that my elderly father needs to walk past this area to get his daily exercise. I don't want him stepping up and down curbs or having to cross the street at his age.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM

Problem resolved: Street services came out and notified the parties that leaving their cans on the sidewalk was indeed a violation and that continuing to do so would result in citation/fine and/or confiscation of the containers.

The sidewalk has been restored to a path for foot traffic and not a dumpster storage area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles