Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Wrong! I am looking forward to moving to the Midwest and getting permanently out of California. The only thing I will miss about California is the early start to Monday night football! I cannot understand how anyone can tolerate the extreme overcrowding of coastal California after experiecing the relaxed pace of living in the Midwest.
You mean the relaxed pace of living in Chicago compared to the extreme overcrowding of the Emerald Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You mean the relaxed pace of living in Chicago compared to the extreme overcrowding of the Emerald Triangle?
True.

I live in LA and love it, but I don't understand how anyone can either in a positive or negative describe a whole freakin state that is 800 miles north to south, or a region of equivalent size in a different part of the country.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
The only decent place in MW is Chicago..

So.. Yeah

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM

362 posts, read 817,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

So.. Yeah
Thank you Rand McNally.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:

So.. Yeah
I don't enitrely agree with that. Theres cool things in other midwestern cities that don't get a lot of attention.

And honestly, the spectacular Chicago that tourists come to see, is actually believe it or not a small slice of Chicago. The area from the museum campus to Lincoln Park along the lake is an of less than 4 miles. Then throw in other gems in the city limits like Hyde Park about 1 square miles. Out of the 200 or so square miles of the city limits.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
NEVER EVER !
I don't want to be surrounded by stupid conservatives.
A fact for which we small town, rural Americans with values will be eternally grateful.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM

332 posts, read 525,092 times
One of my friends got "dragged kicking and screaming" by his wife out to LA, and now he loves it there. Can't blame him on either end as Chicago is (IMO) completely awesome and fabulous. But then again so is LA. One way to look at it is 4 months of bad weather vs 12 months of having to deal with driving as initiation rites to otherwise awesome locales.

The rest of the Midwest, not my cup of tea though there are plenty of great places to visit in it.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:

So.. Yeah
Hey, Springfield, Missouri has some pretty damn good bars and music scene (MSU territory). And the waitresses at Hooters are muy purty...and friendly.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I have a hard time imagining somebody from Los Angeles, or West Hollywood, Santa Monica, or one of those wealthier burbs in Orange County, even liking the Midwest. Unless, of course, it was Chicago, or maybe Cleveland, Minneapolis, or StL. And at that, Chicago, Cleveland and StL are still extremely blue collar at heart with a few "posh" burbs. One would miss the California weather in about two minutes when they land for the first time in a Chicago winter.

SoCal, in its entirety, is so different from the Midwest that the areas can be difficult to compare. I can see a resident in one of the outer lying areas (Ventura County, IE) having an easier adjustment to the Midwest, and, at that, some place like Indy, Cincy, Milwaukee, or KC, and not Springfield (either one), Evansville, or Des Moines.

I moved to the Bay Area from Greater Cincinnati. Two entirely different worlds.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I have a hard time imagining somebody from Los Angeles, or West Hollywood, Santa Monica, or one of those wealthier burbs in Orange County, even liking the Midwest. Unless, of course, it was Chicago, or maybe Cleveland, Minneapolis, or StL. And at that, Chicago, Cleveland and StL are still extremely blue collar at heart with a few "posh" burbs. One would miss the California weather in about two minutes when they land for the first time in a Chicago winter.
I agree. I wouldn't like the posh Midwest areas; it's just that I like the vibe of Hollywood etc. Many people hate that and dislike that since they are into "traditional values" etc but I'm not. I realize that I am controversial and that many people are the opposite of me; they want peace and quiet and they don't like being superficial or materialistic. I am the opposite. I like to dress up, I like L.A, hate to admit but I like the celeb obsession we have over here. I don't like the "slow" or "peaceful" life at all. I think OC is pretty slow for me already; every time I have to go to South OC I already want to die. If I was in the Midwest I would really die. I don't like having a "low key" life and being an "average" person with a family. It's just not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles