Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 AM

475 posts, read 508,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Easy. Lived in Orange County, Los Angeles, central valley and Sacramento. Now live in the midwest/south. Doesn't hurt a bit.
I just wouldnt. LA has great weather, all kind of people and very liberal. Mid West, horrible weather and very conservative. I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 AM

469 posts, read 913,382 times
I would do it, Im trying to do it now.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I just wouldnt. LA has great weather, all kind of people and very liberal. Mid West, horrible weather and very conservative. I'll pass.
We enjoy four distinct seasons and far less intrusive governance.

Different strokes...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
We should call this the misconceptions and generalizing thread.

I've enjoyed the coast when I visited but for now I'm content with my 10minute commute and being able to have a nice house for $1500/month including property taxes.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabella80 View Post
My BF wants me to move to...ugh...OHIO to be together and get married and I'm wigging out. I've been there and it's SO different from LA. I don't mean to be a snob, but the neighborhoods and people are VERY different than what I'm used to. Plus there is the weather! But housing is lower cost and there isn't traffic or that fake "hollywood" scene all the time...I am not in my 20's anymore running to Hollywood all the time so maybe I would like to do the whole family oriented,..slow paced thing....Hmmmmm...am I an LA girl in denial? Do you all think I'll hate it? What would YOU do for love?
First off, yes, I think the vast majority of people born and raised in LA would hate the Midwest. It's just too different. It's not the West Coast. It's not the East Coast. It's not the South. Yet, it comprises elements of all three while remaining its own thing.

I was born in Santa Monica, came of age in Sacto, and spent many years in the Midwest. Whether or not you will hate it (and yes, I understand this OP is two years old...) really depends on you, your expectations, and general outlook on life. But, through my own experiences, here is why you might hate the Midwest:

1. The weather. Yeah, it is generally the top of everyone's list. However I am not talking about cold, snow, and horridly humid summers. I am talking about thunderstorms like you've never seen. A typical, "boring", Midwest thunderstorm would be enough to cause the typical person from SoCal to cry in fear like a child. Not only would you think the Apocalypse was going down, I found that most people from California are absolutely perplexed that people from the Midwest tend to find thunderstorms "cool" and enjoy watching a good one. I dunno, a few raindrops are enough to keep people indoors in SoCal all day, but it is pretty cool to see the sky turn green, the sirens going off, the coolest looking clouds outside of an LSD trip, and the most intense thunder/lighting you could imagine. Epic doesn't even come close to describing it. It gives you a whole new appreciation for being alive.

You might also find it odd that not only do people go outside during thunderstorms, they also do outdoor activities during the winter, too.

To each their own, though. Nothing wrong with SoCal weather and the winters do get old and can be a drag. However, it really makes own appreciate the Summer months even more, though.

2. A level of modesty that is completely foreign to Californians. Yes, there are Fortune 500 Companies in the Midwest. Yes, their are millionaires, upper-mid class people, and others who could otherwise be described as "wealthy". However, the tend to not flaunt it as much as someone from SoCal would. A rich person in the Midwest would not mind shopping at Kohl's for example, or driving a mid-priced American automobile. They might take their Porsche or Jaguar out for a spin on the weekends, but they are less likely to do so as a means of showing off. Do those people exist in the Midwest? Yes, of course; just no-where near the same numbers as they do in SoCal. Heck, even a poor person in SoCal would try to be trendy and upscale.

This also goes with eateries. There is no stigma in going to a "working class" eating establishment no matter how much money you have.

Midwesterners just do not have that desire to "be seen" that people in SoCal do.

3. For the most part, few things have a "cool", "hip", or "trendy" factor to it. Do those types of places exist? Yes. But if a new club or restaurant opens with the label of being "trendy and new", it is either geared exclusively to one particular aspect of society (thug, gangsta/hipster/jazz aficionados/art stars) or else it will attract college students and transplants.

4. There is a sense of Midwest pride that Californians have a difficult time understanding. I mean why be proud of being from "nowhere", right?

5. People live in "old" homes. Midwest homes are built to withstand extreme changes in weather conditions. From bum-freezing sub-zero (into the double digits) to insanely humid summers. And of course the intense thunderstorms/rain in-between. Homes in California do not need to be so "built", and thus would not last more than a few years in the Midwest. But, what I am getting at is that the house you are residing in could very well be over 100 years old....and still in great shape structurally.

6. Radiators. This hiss and moan and make strange noises and need to be bled.

7. Alcohol does not have the same social stigma that it does in SoCal. A well respected business man going to a bar every night of the week and getting drunk would not raise any flags. In fact, people are not as obsessed with health as they are in SoCal. Then again, what is the point of smoking when the city air you breath is just as bad for you?

Okay, I'm just splitting hairs here, but I think I hit the big "difference" with the idea of modesty.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
First off, yes, I think the vast majority of people born and raised in LA would hate the Midwest. It's just too different. It's not the West Coast. It's not the East Coast. It's not the South. Yet, it comprises elements of all three while remaining its own thing.

I was born in Santa Monica, came of age in Sacto, and spent many years in the Midwest. Whether or not you will hate it (and yes, I understand this OP is two years old...) really depends on you, your expectations, and general outlook on life. But, through my own experiences, here is why you might hate the Midwest:

1. The weather. Yeah, it is generally the top of everyone's list. However I am not talking about cold, snow, and horridly humid summers. I am talking about thunderstorms like you've never seen. A typical, "boring", Midwest thunderstorm would be enough to cause the typical person from SoCal to cry in fear like a child. Not only would you think the Apocalypse was going down, I found that most people from California are absolutely perplexed that people from the Midwest tend to find thunderstorms "cool" and enjoy watching a good one. I dunno, a few raindrops are enough to keep people indoors in SoCal all day, but it is pretty cool to see the sky turn green, the sirens going off, the coolest looking clouds outside of an LSD trip, and the most intense thunder/lighting you could imagine. Epic doesn't even come close to describing it. It gives you a whole new appreciation for being alive.

You might also find it odd that not only do people go outside during thunderstorms, they also do outdoor activities during the winter, too.

To each their own, though. Nothing wrong with SoCal weather and the winters do get old and can be a drag. However, it really makes own appreciate the Summer months even more, though.

2. A level of modesty that is completely foreign to Californians. Yes, there are Fortune 500 Companies in the Midwest. Yes, their are millionaires, upper-mid class people, and others who could otherwise be described as "wealthy". However, the tend to not flaunt it as much as someone from SoCal would. A rich person in the Midwest would not mind shopping at Kohl's for example, or driving a mid-priced American automobile. They might take their Porsche or Jaguar out for a spin on the weekends, but they are less likely to do so as a means of showing off. Do those people exist in the Midwest? Yes, of course; just no-where near the same numbers as they do in SoCal. Heck, even a poor person in SoCal would try to be trendy and upscale.

This also goes with eateries. There is no stigma in going to a "working class" eating establishment no matter how much money you have.

Midwesterners just do not have that desire to "be seen" that people in SoCal do.

3. For the most part, few things have a "cool", "hip", or "trendy" factor to it. Do those types of places exist? Yes. But if a new club or restaurant opens with the label of being "trendy and new", it is either geared exclusively to one particular aspect of society (thug, gangsta/hipster/jazz aficionados/art stars) or else it will attract college students and transplants.

4. There is a sense of Midwest pride that Californians have a difficult time understanding. I mean why be proud of being from "nowhere", right?

5. People live in "old" homes. Midwest homes are built to withstand extreme changes in weather conditions. From bum-freezing sub-zero (into the double digits) to insanely humid summers. And of course the intense thunderstorms/rain in-between. Homes in California do not need to be so "built", and thus would not last more than a few years in the Midwest. But, what I am getting at is that the house you are residing in could very well be over 100 years old....and still in great shape structurally.

6. Radiators. This hiss and moan and make strange noises and need to be bled.

7. Alcohol does not have the same social stigma that it does in SoCal. A well respected business man going to a bar every night of the week and getting drunk would not raise any flags. In fact, people are not as obsessed with health as they are in SoCal. Then again, what is the point of smoking when the city air you breath is just as bad for you?

Okay, I'm just splitting hairs here, but I think I hit the big "difference" with the idea of modesty.
Outstanding post! I would give you multiple reps if I could. I think you really hit the nail on the head.

I recently moved to LA from the midwest (outside Chicago) and here are my reasons why I moved.

1. Career: I teach earth science/geography/geology at the community college level. I am the best teacher I can be, when I get to you local and regional content in my courses. And most topics covered in this field have examples within if not within 60 miles of LA, than within 4 hours of LA. I am at most engaging when I used local and regional content in my curricula. You can't really do that so much in the midwest. Unless you talk about continental glacial landforms, and even there, the topography is ever so slight, that its more difficult to engage students.

1. b) Career: there are just so many community colleges within commutable distance of LA. Despite the budget cuts that have affected education on all levels, the sheer number of community college throughout Los Angeles and Orange County, make up for that. There are still way more job openings in SoCal than there are in some other state where the state budget is in better shape, but the population is small, scattered, and rural. (There are more people in Ventura County alone than in all of Woyming or Montan, or S. or N. Dakota).

2. Despite what others may say, I have found LA to be a great place to meet people of the opposite sex. The ratio of guys to girls in other smaller western metro areas are NOT in a guys favor (Even San Diego, which is beautiful is a navy town, and therefore the slight difference makes it difficult). There are so many women that relocate on their own here, especially from my home region of the country.

3. As far as seeing and be seen. I'm a down to earth guy, but I love to look as good as possible. My personal style is slightly "boy band" but with a more adult variation (I'm 31). I'm not trying to be someone else, its just what makes me feel good. Hey in the bird world, the males are the flashier ones. But I don't spend that much money on it. You can look great without the cost. In SoCal, theres nothing wrong with that. You don't feel out of place, like you might elsewhere.

4. The sheer number of endless things to see and do across great LA is astouding. Downtown Chicago may blow away downtown LA, but LA county blows away Cook County.

4.B) I like how you mentioned that hip and trendy is more niche/genre specific in the midwest. I'm not really into the hipster/jazz afficionados, etc. culture, although I respect it. Also the drinking. I never have more than two drinks a night, and I usually only prefer one. Its a waste of money, and why make yourself look foolish? I guess it goes along with "see and be seen"

5. Diversity. There is a lot of diversity integrated in the middle class. Which I like. A larger Asian population, Middle eastern, and a lot more African Americans and hispanics that are well integrated into the middle class compared to many other parts of the country.

6. Whether it is the hi-tech world of Silicon Valley or the entertainment world I always find it a little inspiring when people take big risks and have big dreams, I always admired that about people. And California has a lot of that. (Texas might be second).

Reasons 1 and 1b are obviously most important. Followed by 2 and 3. Then the rest.

I will add however, I do have a soft spot in my heart for the midwest. It is still "familiar" to be. The cost of living is one where one can actually afford to buy a house, its where my family is. I'm sure I will probably move back eventually.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The old "The South will rise again" mantra gets old. Especially since it's mostly trailer trash and rednecks that loudly chirp it. It is good that most of us here in the US of A would rather the Confederate flag not be raised.

Making laws and basing one's societal status on the basis of the Great Voice in the Head are also more than a little annoying.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Yes I would

Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
No. Too far away from the beach. (and no, "beaches" on the Great Lakes don't count).

Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The old "The South will rise again" mantra gets old. Especially since it's mostly trailer trash and rednecks that loudly chirp it. It is good that most of us here in the US of A would rather the Confederate flag not be raised.

Making laws and basing one's societal status on the basis of the Great Voice in the Head are also more than a little annoying.
There is a difference between the South and the Midwest, although some of the southern and eastern Midwest states might feel "southern" to a West Coaster. And, the Midwest is not all hicks and farmers, but what is the difference between say Iowa and Bakersfeild? Fresno? More Hispanics and smog? the entire Central Valley up through Chick is reminiscent of many Midwestern locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles