Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,197,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabella80 View Post
My BF wants me to move to...ugh...OHIO to be together and get married and I'm wigging out. I've been there and it's SO different from LA. I don't mean to be a snob, but the neighborhoods and people are VERY different than what I'm used to. Plus there is the weather! But housing is lower cost and there isn't traffic or that fake "hollywood" scene all the time...I am not in my 20's anymore running to Hollywood all the time so maybe I would like to do the whole family oriented,..slow paced thing....Hmmmmm...am I an LA girl in denial? Do you all think I'll hate it? What would YOU do for love?
I read through all the replies (interesting). Now I'm coming back to your original post. You say that your "BF" wants you to move to...ugh...Ohio...to be together and get married and you're wigging out. That sentence says it all. First off, it's your boyfriend, NOT your husband. Boyfriends are a dime a dozen. Then you said "ugh Ohio." If it's "ugh" now and you haven't even been here yet, well, you know the old saying, "if you hate it now, just wait..." And if you're wigging out now, it's not gonna get any better once you're here.

Yes, the weather sucks big time. And four seasons? Where exactly is that because it certainly isn't here. There's a short Spring (due to a long winter), a brief Summer filled with heat and humidity (not to mention mosquitos), a beautiful short Fall, and a major 5-6 month Suckfest called Winter.

Yes, the housing is cheaper, the traffic is less, and it is "family-oriented", whatever that means. There are families all over the U.S., I personally don't believe that families are worse or better in any particular state.

To answer your question about whether I think you'll hate it? The answer is: YES!!!!

Listen up, unless YOU have family and friends here, you will most likely hate it. You're convincing yourself that you will like/love Ohio due to lower housing costs, slower pace of living, etc. Those sound like rationalizations to me. It's okay that you say "Ugh" (to moving to Ohio)- as that is your inner voice speaking. Listen to it, my young girl, as your inner voice rarely will steer your wrong. I have two adult kids that are probably your age. I would tell them the same thing I am telling you. Don't move anywhere that you don't feel joy moving to. Life is waaay too short for that. If your boyfriend becomes your husband and you start having kids, you WILL be entrenched and stuck in a place that you could possibly hate. Picking up and moving won't be so easy.

My advice is to come out for winter AFTER Christmas, AFTER the holiday festivities and stay for a few weeks. February would be optimal. I am NOT joking or trying to be a jerk. Don't come for the holidays and get this mistaken idea that the whole winter is like it feels at Christmas. Come when we get the February freeze and it is 10-20 degrees below zero, the cars won't start, and if you get a flat tire and try to change it, it's next to impossible because the bolts are frozen on. Now, I'm speaking strictly of NE OH, not all of Ohio has this climate zone.

Please, for the love of all that is good, do NOT relocate from L.A. to Ohio just because your boyfriend thinks it's cool. That, alone, is NOT enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM

157 posts, read 283,564 times
If you do decide to go, pick Columbus, otherwise you will be miserable. It's the only livable city in Ohio.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
So your "scientific evidence" is a picture of a young woman having fun building phalics in the snow, a thread whose first post reads "I love winter!!" And some biased real estate business' reference to the outdated 90s back before the Phoenix and Vegas economies plummetted into oblivion?

I'm going to need more than that to be convinced of your 69:1 ratio claim. Plus, you'll have to include Denver and Salt Lake City in your list of places people only live because they're stuck - oh wait. People have flocked there - and to smaller cities throughout the West - for the quality of life even though it's likely to snow in June.

When did we become such a nation of sissies? Geez. Skandinavian countries seem to do just fine.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,364,876 times
cleveland ????
YouTube - Rock N Ride 2008

Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM

222 posts, read 577,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This thread is kind of funny. I've never lived in Ohio or LA (or Seattle, for that matter - I live on the east coast), so please ingest one grain of salt before proceeding, but I've spent a lot of time in each and I'm not sure it's fair to compare Venice Beach to some rural town or suburban strip mall area in another part of the country. If you haven't noticed, LA has a LOT of bland strip malls that are populated by simple, family oriented folk, go on forever and ever, and most certainly are not throbbing into all hours of the night. Come to think of it, even the hip parts of LA shut down pretty early compared to most major cities.

I can't believe I'm going to defend Ohio here - though I'm not saying Ohio's the epicenter of cool or even close to LA chic at its finest if that's what you're into - but it isn't the 19th century frontier people on the west coast seem to think it is. It has major cities full of millions of people, world-class shopping somewhere in those metro areas, and a bunch of world renown universities and liberal arts colleges full of smart, sophisticated people. There are vibrant nightlife districts in those cities - the Flats in Cleveland comes to mind - that churn out some decent underground music and the norther border is even called the Ohio Coast, believe it or not, with beaches and a Key West style party scene in Put-In Bay on an island in Lake Erie.

Come to think of it, if you actually think the middle of the country is a barren prairie, I would encourage you to look up pictures of the Great Lakes. These aren't in Ohio, but they at least give you an idea:

Michigan: Photos

As for the weather, I've found in Southern California a myth that everybody outside hot climates lives in utter misery 9 months of the year. Perhaps that's because a lot of people who hate winter concentrate there. I think you'd be surprised how many people love experiencing all the seasons, including winter.

Whether that's for you or not is not for me to say, but if you're going to be offended by the "fakeness" LA stereotypes, then at least be as cautious with stereotypes in the other direction. People are people.
This man seems to have his story right together and his facts straight.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 PM

222 posts, read 577,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You can always tell who the people are who've never lived here... they keep recycling that same, tired LA FAKENESS **** that they learned all about from TV and movies.
Judging from this forum and what I really know about LA, I would say one thing LAPD. Thats enough to keep mw away being a black man. LA aint no land of milk and honey no where in america is. We just make do what we do to maintain. LA with tht 1960's racism still going on and not only that it has even transfer to the Latino's to hate blacks too. Noway I'M going to a place or would even think about movin to a place where latinos, asians and whites hate me just cause I'm black. And it not mild like in the midwest it is intnse to the point that if u cross over to certain area you could be killed instantly. Miswest has had it's problems too like Cincinatti which is still a problem. Certain areas like Chicago, but LA racism and racial violence exceeds all of those I have named. I all ways see LA on the news infosizing always, for some racism that goes on either LAPD or Latinos and blacks not getting alone either way LA to me is a mess.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy Columbus View Post
Judging from this forum and what I really know about LA, I would say one thing LAPD. Thats enough to keep mw away being a black man. LA aint no land of milk and honey no where in america is. We just make do what we do to maintain. LA with tht 1960's racism still going on and not only that it has even transfer to the Latino's to hate blacks too. Noway I'M going to a place or would even think about movin to a place where latinos, asians and whites hate me just cause I'm black. And it not mild like in the midwest it is intnse to the point that if u cross over to certain area you could be killed instantly. Miswest has had it's problems too like Cincinatti which is still a problem. Certain areas like Chicago, but LA racism and racial violence exceeds all of those I have named. I all ways see LA on the news infosizing always, for some racism that goes on either LAPD or Latinos and blacks not getting alone either way LA to me is a mess.
I think you have LA all wrong.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy Columbus View Post
I all ways see LA on the news infosizing always, for some racism that goes on either LAPD or Latinos and blacks not getting alone either way LA to me is a mess.
Gotta turn off the TV and live out in LA before coming to that conclusion. Lots of people in that town make their mortgage payments by ginning up the images they film in the editting room, and the easiest/cheapest means of getting those images is to go local - roam the city with cameras and splice together something spectacular, and the networks will eagerly eat it up. Doesn't necessarily reflect reality, though.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 PM

107 posts, read 197,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't like the winter, but I DO like a change of seasons; I think you'll find that many people who have grown up with the Midwestern-style four seasons miss it when they live elsewhere, even if they don't miss everything about it. (and winter isn't usually gray or rainy; it's actually quite bright and sunny, or at least it is in MN.)
In the western midwest (west of Lake Michigan), yes... because it's prairie. Northern Ohio, on the other hand, is depressingly gray forever and ever in the fall through spring. The cloud cover does keep it warmer (and snowier) here than where we're from in northern Illinois, but I miss the sun even if it would be accompanied by much colder temperatures.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,206 times
Move from LA to the Mid-west. H-- to the No! I came to LA from Kansas City, MO. Anyone who leaves LA will die of depression. There is NOTHING to do in the mid-west but sit and watch the grass grow. I don't care how bad people say LA is. It's not bad enough for me to ever go anywhere east of the California State line. I'm a senior Black woman. Have had encounters with racism here. But, not as intensely engrained and segregating as the mid-west. You know who hates you in LA. So, you know who to avoid. But in the mid-west they will grin in your face and stab you in the back. I have friends who moved to LA from Ohio and they said they would only return after they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles