Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:05 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times

Advertisements

i have lived in four of the busiest cities in the country, and spent a great deal of time in a fifth, and LA is the only one that doesn't seem to have an annual street fair during the summer. new york and san francisco have something going on in the streets practically every weekend when the weather is warm; chicago has "the taste," a concept so successful that other cities have adopted it. LA has what? i recall the short-lived "street scene" downtown in the 80s, but nothing since. ironically, we have the best weather for it, yet we almost never erect the barricades, and party in the streets. what's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Yes...but being called a whiner and having pictures of tantruming babies and sneering comments of "Oh yeah, EVVVVVVerything's bettAH in New YAWK" has calmed me down from ever daring to say out loud here that I miss a single thing about the east. So if you want to ever PM me...look me up! We can reminisce.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
The L.A. Marathon in March has street-fair-esque activities associated with it, and Sherman Oaks, Noho, and, I think, city of San Fernando have associated street fairs in my neck of the woods. Mostly it's farmer's markets here and there.

Overall street fairs unfortunately would attract gang elements, and that's why I believe they are not as popular here in Los Angeles.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes...but being called a whiner and having pictures of tantruming babies and sneering comments of "Oh yeah, EVVVVVVerything's bettAH in New YAWK" has calmed me down from ever daring to say out loud here that I miss a single thing about the east. So if you want to ever PM me...look me up! We can reminisce.
oh, don't get me wrong: i hate new york. i was born there, and returned for one year as a college freshman, and have visited from time to time, but LA has been my home since childhood. i don't reminisce about new york; i just know that the streets are always hopping with organized activity during the summer, so i used it as an example, but, believe me, that is probably the ONLY thing that new york has that i'd like to transplant here-- that, and bergdorf's. LOL

Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
The L.A. Marathon in March has street-fair-esque activities associated with it, and Sherman Oaks, Noho, and, I think, city of San Fernando have associated street fairs in my neck of the woods. Mostly it's farmer's markets here and there.

Overall street fairs unfortunately would attract gang elements, and that's why I believe they are not as popular here in Los Angeles.
the first sunday in march is probably the one day of the year that i most definitely DO NOT want to be on the streets; the traffic detours are a nightmare! (besides, march isn't summer, and is often our gloomiest month.)
i'm not asking for something that shuts down half the major thoroughfares in the city, just a couple of blocks, close enough to the beach to catch a breeze (so the valley is out!), and plentiful parking nearby.

now that you mention it, i seem to recall that the gang element was responsible for the LA Street Scene being discontinued after just a few years.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 PM

72,408 posts, read 18,196,480 times
There are street fairs all the time.I usually make a point to find a fair to take my mom to. I have been to a few of them this year.There was a street fair in Ventura,Sierra Madre,Pasadena,Monterey Park,Long Beach,Laguan Beach,The one on Pico,So many!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
There are street fairs all the time.I usually make a point to find a fair to take my mom to. I have been to a few of them this year.There was a street fair in Ventura,Sierra Madre,Pasadena,Monterey Park,Long Beach,Laguan Beach,The one on Pico,So many!

none of those places are LA, and two aren't even in the county! i'm speaking of LA proper, not the greater los angeles area. i don't want to travel 30-60 miles to attend a street fair. (where on pico?)

Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
They used to have street fairs but they were terminated due to gang problems, drinking in public, general disorderly behavior, vandalism, and lewd conduct.

Gangs were not 100% responsible. The cost to insure these events also skyrocketed and there were many restrictions placed on music at the events. Basically no hip hop, rap, or hard rock. So, without the ability to fence off an area, create a private venue, and charge tickets, it ended.

There are unofficial gatherings that are like circus side shows: Take the 105 Frwy west to the beach on 4th of july or memorial day if you like low riders and big butt women in shorts. Venice Boardwalk on any given weekend in the summer is a carnival. Im sure there are alot more.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 AM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i have lived in four of the busiest cities in the country, and spent a great deal of time in a fifth, and LA is the only one that doesn't seem to have an annual street fair during the summer. new york and san francisco have something going on in the streets practically every weekend when the weather is warm; chicago has "the taste," a concept so successful that other cities have adopted it. LA has what? i recall the short-lived "street scene" downtown in the 80s, but nothing since. ironically, we have the best weather for it, yet we almost never erect the barricades, and party in the streets. what's up with that?
Sherman Oaks holds a yearly street fair. I think the biggest street fair is the Cinco De Mayo celebration held in downtown LA but, from what I have seen on TV, there is little diversity in attendance.

I miss 'real' street fairs... not the commercial events they call street fairs where booth after booth sells the same stuff you see everywhere.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Los Angeles country fair - biggest fair I have ever been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles