Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM

55 posts, read 100,788 times

Advertisements

"I'm a radio, top40 fan. Only 2 non- spanish stations on the FM dial."

I assume you are exaggerating.

In Hollywood, you should be able to pick up 33 FM stations. Only 9 of these 33 stations have Spanish language programming.

KIIS is arguably the definitive top 40 station in the country. There is also KAMP playing similar music. Most other types of music are available including the the most copied modern rock station KROQ and trendsetting public station KCRW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I wouldn't have recommended that you stay in Hollywood. That's one of the most Urban areas in L.A. West Hollywood is a lot nicer while still being urban, and there are quite a few other areas, like Culver City, that don't have the traffic hassles and parking nightmares.

I realize you had to narrow your choices a little because you were so pressed for time, but you only saw a few small slivers of L.A., and you've tarred the entire city with a very broad brush. I hope you can visit again some day and get a more favorable impression.

Best of luck with Seattle now, anyway!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post
I started a thread back in the spring on places to live in LA.

Wanted to move to LA ever since Jan 2010. So I booked a trip back in March for Sept 17-21st. Stayed 4 nights at the Hollywood Heights Hotel, rental car, membership to westsiderentals to scout out properties in WeHo, Santa M, Studio City, Brentwood.

I knew I had to make a trip to check it out in person if I was going to pull the trigger. Was pretty much already sold on the move since LA is the perfect city with mountains, beach, beautiful people and always warm.

The trip and all ran be close to 2k.

Here is my rundown in short:

Negatives: My face and lips immediately got very irritated the first day. Face was very red and lips were dry, cracked and itching. ( 2 days after returning home they were clear again)

Worst traffic in the world in Hollywood. Worst DRIVERS, especially the cabbies.

I'm a radio, top40 fan. Only 2 non- spanish stations on the FM dial.

Severe shortage of parking

Sky high prices on rent. Sad thing was they weren't even nice.

Positives:

The best looking females I have ever seen in my entire life.

It actually got mildly cool when the sun went down.

Santa MOnica had a distinct breeze and cooler temp and you can smell the ocean.

Brentwood seemed a bit slower.

Some really nice views.

Overall there was no compelling reason to move, pretty dissapointed. Back to Atlanta, for now and looking at Seattle.

I suppose my hopes were too high but it just seems like something as minute as swinging by the grocery store would be an ordeal with the traffic.
Your experience and decision is why it is so important for people, especially young, bright eyed 20 somethings to visit for several days and do what you did. I don't mean, visit just to sightsee, I mean visit and research the actually living situation.

While Los Angeles is a great place for many, it isn't for everyone. You just spent 2K very wisely.

Nita

Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I wouldn't have recommended that you stay in Hollywood. That's one of the most Urban areas in L.A. West Hollywood is a lot nicer while still being urban, and there are quite a few other areas, like Culver City, that don't have the traffic hassles and parking nightmares.

I realize you had to narrow your choices a little because you were so pressed for time, but you only saw a few small slivers of L.A., and you've tarred the entire city with a very broad brush. I hope you can visit again some day and get a more favorable impression.

That's what I was thinking. Only in staying in Hollywood for 4 days and it was 2K? Big mistake. No offense OP! You could have visited countless other cities like Long Beach, Pasadena, Culver City, Silverlake, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Universal City, etc. LA has so many different neighborhoods and cities. I don't think you should have written it off so quick. Santa Monica and Hollywood are not the real LA. They apart of it. But hardly the entire city. I'd give it another chance if I were you. But then again, CA is broke so what is the point right? Have fun in Seattle!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
While Los Angeles is a great place for many, it isn't for everyone. You just spent 2K very wisely.

Nita
That's a stretch. By simply using Hotwire, the OP could have stayed in a variety of cities in LA for half the price, hassle, and stress. He could have stayed in Pasadena or Long Beach for at least 2 weeks and travel around the city for 2K.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you aren't moving somewhere for a job it's always going to be questionable whether you should move at all. I guess I just don't get the point unless you absolutely hate where you live and have no job, friends or family. Moving anywhere for "the lifestyle", especially CA, will rarely work out if you are just basing it on dreams. WHY did you want to move to LA anyway?
Never better said!!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:59 AM

116 posts, read 226,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you aren't moving somewhere for a job it's always going to be questionable whether you should move at all. I guess I just don't get the point unless you absolutely hate where you live and have no job, friends or family. Moving anywhere for "the lifestyle", especially CA, will rarely work out if you are just basing it on dreams. WHY did you want to move to LA anyway?

I have an online biz.

I wanted to move to LA for the 320 days of sunshine and warm weather per year.

The views/scenery

Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
well, i think gauging LA by hollywood is a bad idea. did you, as another posted asked, check out culver city? i loved it there. lots of the old movie history, quiet streets, easy to get in and out of, plenty of amenities, its got a great cheap theatre (culver plaza) and i would live there in a second. yeah, housing is expensive, but anyplace worth visiting is gonna have high rents- i wish there was the perfect city that was great for artists, lots of cultural amenities, and loads of cheap places to live. but that place seems to be on the shores of palatial lake Not.

I did not check out Culver City but I wish I had though.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncraig View Post
"I'm a radio, top40 fan. Only 2 non- spanish stations on the FM dial."

I assume you are exaggerating.

In Hollywood, you should be able to pick up 33 FM stations. Only 9 of these 33 stations have Spanish language programming.

KIIS is arguably the definitive top 40 station in the country. There is also KAMP playing similar music. Most other types of music are available including the the most copied modern rock station KROQ and trendsetting public station KCRW.

No, just 2. In the rental can I had I repeatedly scanned the FM dial and NEVER found more than 2 NON-Spanish stations.

One was soft rock and one was 80's hard rock.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Eh, not so much. I visited 3 times in 2009 and visited North Ho, Burbank, The island of Catalina ( sp?), Down town, Bev Hills, Venice beach, Redondo Beach, on and on. In 09 I was staying with someone and they did the driving.

I really wasn't pressed for time at all. I saw everything planned to see.

Even if I had visited Culver City I really doubt it would have been compelling enough to move. The face/lips issue really had me suffering big time.

I do agree with you on staying in HW. Looking back I wish I had picked a diff part of town to stay in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles