U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,364 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a house off Redondo St. between Stearns and PCH. It's less than a mile from the Traffic Circle, but it's right on the border of Signal Hill. Is that an ok area to buy a house?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM

4,510 posts, read 10,025,012 times
Safe in terms of what?

If its adults only, yeah, no prob.

If you have kids....take a look around. The area is not rough like it was 10 years ago, but you still have a ton of transient traffic along PCH....look at all the hourly type motels on PCH from Obispo to Redondo. I'd be particularly concerned if I had teenage kids who will be prone to want to walk to the liquor stores, 7-11, etc on PCH.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 29,348,146 times
I looked there years back when buying a house, I had no problems with the idea. Just bought elsewhere.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,609,478 times
Like the other people ... what’s your definition of safe?
I won't buy there but then I’m not big on police helicopters.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,364 times
I use safe in it's common sense meaning. Don, you say you don't want to live there because of police helicopters. Does that mean there's lots of police activity? Where there's lots of police activity, there's usually lots of crime, and that's what I mean by safe. Is this a high crime area? I don't have any kids yet, but in a few years I will. I drove around the area, there doesn't seem to be any graffiti. The homes on the other side of the street are in very good condition. Those streets being Termino, Miramar, Euclid. Those were very beautiful homes. So in driving by, it seems like a decent area, but I've never lived there so I don't know for sure. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM

4,510 posts, read 10,025,012 times
The problem is not the new build neighborhoods.

Its PCH.

So thats what you have to decide.

10 years ago that stretch of PCH was pretty bad. Lots of drugs and street walking prostitutes. My friend lived in an apartment building there right on PCH and we could see LBPD doing prostitution busts using undercover cops...like on the COPS television show. That was just south of Obispo on PCH.

Look, theres a reason that particular area is not all that expensive in comparison to other new build areas....Its not Irvine. It may look like it is, but its not. Schools can be meh, and even the good ones(some very good) have a danger factor that doesn't exisit in other similiar areas. But it looks like that concern is several years off for you. The other factor is that there is crime in the area. Maybe talk with Signal Hill PD, and some of your potential neighbors to find out what property crime is like in the neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,609,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike411 View Post
I use safe in it's common sense meaning. Don, you say you don't want to live there because of police helicopters. Does that mean there's lots of police activity? Where there's lots of police activity, there's usually lots of crime, and that's what I mean by safe. Is this a high crime area? I don't have any kids yet, but in a few years I will. I drove around the area, there doesn't seem to be any graffiti. The homes on the other side of the street are in very good condition. Those streets being Termino, Miramar, Euclid. Those were very beautiful homes. So in driving by, it seems like a decent area, but I've never lived there so I don't know for sure. Thanks.
Yes, police helicopters with search lights hovering the neighborhoods at night on a regular basis due to crime reports.

Here is a link to the Long Beach Police Department crime statistics. The specific area you mention is 561 but you should also look at surrounding areas. You can click on the links for each month over the past few years.

The area might have been worse in the past but I really don't think this will last. In general the good areas of SoCal have been shrinking year after year and with the current economic conditions I don't see this trend changing.

You said you visited the area. To get a good feel you should park on the street (late night) a few times for an hour or two.
There are some good areas in Long Beach. I personally like the Los Alamitos bay area.

Last edited by Vascodagama; 11-01-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,190,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike411 View Post
police helicopters doesn't neccesarily mean high crime. i lived in venice and helicopters- especially in summer- were all over the place. can't count the number of times i was sitting on the balcony with a ghetto bird shining its light right on us. and venice, believe it or not, is safe. didn't used to be tho, so maybe its a defensive measure.
i concur tho, about the PCH. lil sketchy.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 AM

42 posts, read 102,888 times
If you're not familiar with the area have you considered renting in that area first for a couple months?

Until you actually live somewhere full-time or have visited frequently it's tough to gauge whether you'd like it or not. At the very least walk around or ride a bike in the area a few times first. I would extend this advice to all potential buyers for any area.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 AM

4,811 posts, read 9,688,539 times
One of my teachers grew up there and called it the armpit of Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles