Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,253 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles doesn't really have a french neighborhood either but the immigration of a lot of vietnamese to the region resulted in a lot of pretty good french bakeries in Los Angeles ran by Vietnamese families.

In the past, parts of Slovenia have been part of Italy. I wouldn't be suprised if troubles there resulted in immigrants to LA creating some sort of little italy somewhere in the LA region. The cuisine is very similiar between the two regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:05 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Well as I said before, I'm of Italian heritage so I really don't need to have a Little Italy. I can make Italian food much better than most so-called Italian restaurants here in Los Angeles.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:19 PM

20 posts, read 127,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Interesting. I present clear evidence of a strong Italian presence in Los Angeles that goes back further then any of the ethnic groups mentioned by subsequent posters, save those of Spanish/Mexican heritage. I showed that a "Little Italy" not only existed, but thrived for many years in the very center of where Los Angeles was founded. The businesses started by Italians not only served the needs of their community, but those of the entire city's populace. Yet all that some can draw from it is that I presented "interesting facts" and the only contributions Italians made to the growth and culture of Los Angeles was to own a few stores, wineries, and be fishermen.

People that know the nature of Los Angeles understand that the longer an ethnic group is present here, the more assimilated and dispersed they become. How many Japanese actually still live in Little Tokyo or Chinese in Chinatown? Boyle Heights was once home to a bustling Jewish community. The only sign left of their presence is the synagogue on Breed Street. The Italians simply did what other groups have also done; spread out and move on. We didn't need a Little Italy anymore. We were not forced or felt compelled to stay in our own little segment of the city forever. We elevated ourselves from our simpler roots and became politicians, bankers, lawyers, doctors, and so on. We stopped seeing ourselves as Italians, or Italian-Americans, and became just Americans. The fact that there is no longer a single neighborhood or street lined end to end with Italians flags, does not mean Italians are gone, were never here, or did nothing for Los Angeles. It's not just a fluke that the metro Los Angeles area ranks as 5th in the nation in total number of residents of Italian ancestry.

But that's fine. Go ahead and give credit to other ethnic groups that arrived long after the first Italians did. It really doesn't matter. Those of us of Italian ancestry know our history. We are proud of what those that came before us did. More importantly, we neither need nor require your recognition of our place or accomplishments when it comes to the shaping of Los Angeles.
Amen, brother. My dad's folks settled in Elysian Valley when they moved here from Chicago and my mom's folks in what is now South Central L.A. when they arrived from Italy. Both families would occasionally attend events at St. Peter's (long before there was a Casa Italiana). And as you indicated in an earlier post, my folks settled in the SGV after they were married. I remember going the "back way" to Dodger Stadium - up Solano Avenue - with my parents when I was a kid and my dad would point to different houses and tell me that was there this person or that person lived. He also told me (many) times about how he and his buddy got picked up by LAPD when they were kids for messing with sprinkler heads in Elysian Park. When the cop showed up at the door with my dad in tow, the first words out of my nana's mouth were, "Put him in-a-jail, put him in-a-jail!" The cop felt sorry for my dad and let him go with a warning. A perfect example of what we Italian kids had to fear when we got in trouble - what we had to face when we got home! Thanks for providing the most intelligent posts on this thread.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,013 times
9372 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills
CA 90212

Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 PM

142 posts, read 272,990 times
why would L.A need a little italy we have what we have and thats it we cant change that well at least i wont

Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Even if we did have a Little Italy it would probably be real plastic. Most of the restaurant would be owned by Middle Eastern people too.:-(

Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
9372 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills
CA 90212
What's at 9372 Wilshire?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Interesting thread. I grew up in Chicago and lived there for 57 years. Anyway there was a huge Italian neighborhood on the West Side called Taylor Street; Chicago had several Italian neighborhoods but no "Little Italy". Anyway now most of the Italians are gone and replaced by Yuppies and students and NOW real estate people call the place Little Italy.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Most large cities have a "Little Italy", so why is there none in L.A.? We have a Koreatown, a Chinatown, a Litle India, and god knows what else is festering out there, but no Little Italy. Why the hell not? Would you rather interact with the culture of a Western European G8 nation, or those that have very little to do with Europe and Western Civilization?
If you want Italy you may think about moving
too Italy. So far we are in America..

Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
If you want Italy you may think about moving
too Italy. So far we are in America..
Or moving two Italy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles