Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times

Advertisements

Check out the railroad tracks. Hard to imagine PCH there now. Beach looks a lot narrower in these photos too. I think they actually imported sand to this area...not sure though.

Realize before there was San Pedro, LA Harbor, there was a "Long Wharf" out to the Santa Monica Bay a half mile west of the mouth of Santa Monica Canyon. It was the shipping dock of the Los Angeles region.

If you have time, check this out:

Ocean Park in Santa Monica!

Anyone know what those little doors at the bottom of the palisades cliffs on PCH north of the California Incline where used for?

Historic Santa Monica Photos-resize_santa_monica_01small.jpg

Historic Santa Monica Photos-resize_santa_monica_02small.jpg

Historic Santa Monica Photos-resize_santa_monica_03small.jpg

Historic Santa Monica Photos-resize_santa_monica_04small.jpg

Historic Santa Monica Photos-resize_santa_monica_05small.jpg

Historic Santa Monica Photos-resize_santa_monica_06small.jpg

Last edited by Charles; 07-08-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,445 times
I luv looking at old photos like this. You are right, PCH looks a lot more narrow in the photos. It was definitely widened somehow. They must have graded back the palisades a bit, because some of those houses are still there so they couldn't have expanded the road on the west side of the street.

It's so neat to see the Santa Monica Mtns heading north up the coast toward Malibu. Just a reminder of how timeless and beautiful the place is for the enjoyment of one generation to the next.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,698 times
Those photographs are interesting. The last one of the houses along pch shows some of those bldgs havent changed. Even back then, they were right on pch.

I sure wish that train track was still there. It would be nice if there was rail from ventura, through malibu, to santa monica then to downtown.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 AM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
Thank you for posting this Charles. It really is so very different! I like it now, much better, but would love to go back in time and drive that road and sleep over night in one of those homes, maybe go to a dinner party .

They had to have shipped in sand. I can't imagine how else it has transformed into the amazing wide beach it is today with both PCH, a bike/walking path and also the very wide beach space compared to these pictures. I wonder what the circa is. Was it listed? I did not see it.

It is hard to imagine this once as Los Angeles' harbor. So they just completely eliminated north/south train tracks then on the westside? Are there any trains on the westside at all? I don't remember seeing them or driving over any tracks. I know I have never had to wait for a train. Can you imagine traffic then--UGH!

It is as if they placed all the industrial transportation and shipping docks as far away from this area and north as they possibly could. Guess long, long ago they were shaping this place for the wealthy, the weekend visitors, and the tourists. Actually--not bad city planning. I think they did pretty well with the big picture. I love that all of this landscape is still accessible to all too to come and recharge and enjoy.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:33 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I luv looking at old photos like this. You are right, PCH looks a lot more narrow in the photos. It was definitely widened somehow. They must have graded back the palisades a bit, because some of those houses are still there so they couldn't have expanded the road on the west side of the street.
Wouldn't mother nature have widened the beach with cliff erosion? Back in the 80s I recall lots of episodes of erosion where houses above the cliff were threatened.

Great pics.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Wouldn't mother nature have widened the beach with cliff erosion? Back in the 80s I recall lots of episodes of erosion where houses above the cliff were threatened.
Yeah, I remember that, but the erosion was mostly occurring in Pacific Palisades just above Chautauqua.

It looks to me that engineers added sand to the beach to keep the tide line farther away from the homes and that they cut into the palisades to make PCH wider. In my estimation they had to do this because many of those houses on the beach are still there and have not moved.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 PM

268 posts, read 889,845 times
It makes me feel better to know that there wasn't enough parking back then either!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,335,624 times
The home in the foreground in the first photo belonged to Marion Davies. It was the most lavish beach house California had ever seen.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 14,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
The home in the foreground in the first photo belonged to Marion Davies. It was the most lavish beach house California had ever seen.
As kids in the 40's we used to sneak into the pool before we were chased out. It was easy to climb down the Palisades as there were trails that led to what is now the PCH

Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger F. Marshall View Post

As kids in the 40's we used to sneak into the pool before we were chased out. It was easy to climb down the Palisades as there were trails that led to what is now the PCH
I posted a question about the base of the Palisades in a few threads quite a while ago. There were little doors at the base of the Palisades from about the California Incline to the north. I never found out what those doors were for. Might you know?

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...alifornia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles