Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
120,000?
Oops; edited to read 120,000 tons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I've been bringing my reusable bags to Trader Joes for years so it won't bother me. But I look forward to hearing what the knuckle draggers from out-of-state have to say about this.
Name calling not necessary! However, as a proud knuckle-dragger, chest beater and out-of-state Neanderthal whose greatest daily challenge is walking upright and who lives in the redneck, bible-thumping, fly-over Ozarks, it might surprise you to know I approve. We've been using reusable shopping bags for years now and keep them handy in the trunk of our car. We also wash them at home. Had ta git one of them thar fancy washin' machines when Ma's wash tub sprung a leak, dontcha know.

I do have to chuckle though. L.A. and San Francisco -- two disparate worlds actually simpatico on an issue. What's the world coming to and when's y'all Angelenos gonna ban Happy Meals?

Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Banning the object because of certain people's irresponsibility is obnoxious. Fight the problem [litter/people] not the object [bags].
Just how are you going to fight that litter problem? Are you going to station a police officer on each street to cite people who litter? Are you going to have the trash pick-up driver inspect the contents of every container to make sure people are recycling their plastic bags instead of throwing them in the trash?

As long as people are being irresponsible in disposing of plastic bags (and other litter) about the only practical way to force people to be responsible is to make the bags too expensive to use, and force them to switch to recyclable bags.

If you're angry at anybody you should be angry at litterbugs. These are the people who have ruined it for everybody.

I predict the eventual outlawing of styrofoam containers from fast food restaurants, convenience stores, etc. It's only a matter of time. Also, it's only a matter of time before the plastic bag ban goes statewide.

Thank you all you litterbugs wherever you are. (sarcasm)

Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Tons of soda cans end up littered every year. Lets ban soda cans.

Tons of water bottles end up littered every year. Lets ban water bottles.

Tons of electric waste ends up in land fills every year. Lets ban computers.

Tons AND TONS of used up batteries end up leaking into the ground in landfills every year. Lets ban batteries (oh, that would hurt the precious electric car ... nevermind, lets keep batteries.)

Tons of cigarettes end up littered and in the ocean every year. Banned cigarettes yet? Nope, Not entirely.

You get the idea.

Punishing EVERYONE for certain people's issues?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Tons of soda cans end up littered every year. Lets ban soda cans. Tons of water bottles... Tons of electric waste...Tons of used up batteries...Tons of cigarettes...Punishing EVERYONE for certain people's issues?
Deposit charges on soda and water bottles help pay for the clean up. Electronic waste is supposed to be disposed of at hazardous waste sites; most cities hold roundups for recycling these items periodically. Batteries are included as hazardous waste. The paper and tobacco in cigarettes are biodegradable. Punishment? Charges for plastic bags are more of a sanction to get people to use less toxic alternatives.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Everybody please note that each branch of the Los Angeles Public Library has a receptacle to dispose of used batteries. Most of us live within a short distance of one of the branches. Please take your used batteries and dispose of them there.

1200RT, I'm not throwing litter on the streets and presumably you aren't either. Just exactly how do you propose to control the behavior of people who don't care about litter and just throw it out the window? Other than denying the material they are throwing out, or putting a deposit on it, or having a fine for littering, how else can we stop it? Note that these measures do not seem to be working, judging from the routine appearance of litter on my front lawn.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Other than denying the material they are throwing out, or putting a deposit on it, or having a fine for littering, how else can we stop it? Note that these measures do not seem to be working, judging from the routine appearance of litter on my front lawn.
Death penalty.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Tons of soda cans end up littered every year. Lets ban soda cans.

Tons of water bottles end up littered every year. Lets ban water bottles.

Tons of electric waste ends up in land fills every year. Lets ban computers.

Tons AND TONS of used up batteries end up leaking into the ground in landfills every year. Lets ban batteries (oh, that would hurt the precious electric car ... nevermind, lets keep batteries.)

Tons of cigarettes end up littered and in the ocean every year. Banned cigarettes yet? Nope, Not entirely.

You get the idea.

Punishing EVERYONE for certain people's issues?
I'd be happy to have my plastic, cans, batteries, etc recycled but there are no places that are close to where I live to recycle them. Case in point, I went through this whole frustrating ordeal trying to find a place to recycle my used batteries. Finally, after getting the run around from city departments and the county, I was referred to Target who indicated that they had a recycling program for batteries. I gathered my batteries and went out of my way to a Target store only to get the run around and find out that they did not have such a program! I was ********** and threw the batteries in the trash! I never litter but I will throw items in the trash if there isn't any place to recycle them. Want these plastic bags recycled? Set up recycling containers for people to dispose of them properly! Don't blame US if we aren't even aware that plastic bags could even BE recycled!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Everybody please note that each branch of the Los Angeles Public Library has a receptacle to dispose of used batteries. Most of us live within a short distance of one of the branches. Please take your used batteries and dispose of them there.

1200RT, I'm not throwing litter on the streets and presumably you aren't either. Just exactly how do you propose to control the behavior of people who don't care about litter and just throw it out the window? Other than denying the material they are throwing out, or putting a deposit on it, or having a fine for littering, how else can we stop it? Note that these measures do not seem to be working, judging from the routine appearance of litter on my front lawn.
The closest LA Library is one hour away via bus....

Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Want these plastic bags recycled? Set up recycling containers for people to dispose of them properly! Don't blame US if we aren't even aware that plastic bags could even BE recycled!
Where do you live? Nearly every major supermarket here has a receptacle for recycling plastic bags. (They accept any size or type of plastic bag, as long as they're clean.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles