Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,204,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
What they told you was a crock of you know what. I've been running my surfboard 6120 for over a year with zero problems.
Oh, believe me I know it's a crock. I bought a brand new Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG901. And I had horrible HORRIBLE service. It would be out for an hour or two every day. For weeks.

When I called, they said my modem was defective (they could tell over the phone, apparently). So... I sent it back (to Amazon.com) for a replacement. Got a new one (the same one). Same exact crappy service. Called again. They told me my modem was defective. Again. I told them that I doubted very much that I somehow got TWO defective modems. I got transferred around. I got hung up on. I spent HOURS trying to figure it out. Finally, they told me my modem was not on the "approved modem list." And unless I had an approved modem, they couldn't help me. I noted that there was nothing about that on the website, but they didn't care. When I asked them for the approved modem list, they had to READ IT TO ME OVER THE PHONE. It's nowhere on their website. While I was on the phone with them, I actually looked up each and every modem. Of the 7 or so modems they listed maybe two were still available to buy (and neither of them was a router/modem). The rest were obsolete and no longer available. When I told them this they said "not our problem" and that I should rent a modem from them. I told them I was going to cancel my service and they said fine. They could care less. Of course I was bluffing because I need the internet for work.

And that was that! What could I say? What could I do? I'd spent hours of my life on them. Suddenly the service got better, and it's been pretty decent since. So... who knows. Horrible horrible company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,593,445 times
just my opinon, but drop charter & TW as soon as FIOS or U-Verse becomes available in your area! The cable companies in LA are just a sad joke that will rape your wallet every chance they get.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Oh, believe me I know it's a crock. I bought a brand new Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG901. And I had horrible HORRIBLE service. It would be out for an hour or two every day. For weeks.

When I called, they said my modem was defective (they could tell over the phone, apparently). So... I sent it back (to Amazon.com) for a replacement. Got a new one (the same one). Same exact crappy service. Called again. They told me my modem was defective. Again. I told them that I doubted very much that I somehow got TWO defective modems. I got transferred around. I got hung up on. I spent HOURS trying to figure it out. Finally, they told me my modem was not on the "approved modem list." And unless I had an approved modem, they couldn't help me. I noted that there was nothing about that on the website, but they didn't care. When I asked them for the approved modem list, they had to READ IT TO ME OVER THE PHONE. It's nowhere on their website. While I was on the phone with them, I actually looked up each and every modem. Of the 7 or so modems they listed maybe two were still available to buy (and neither of them was a router/modem). The rest were obsolete and no longer available. When I told them this they said "not our problem" and that I should rent a modem from them. I told them I was going to cancel my service and they said fine. They could care less. Of course I was bluffing because I need the internet for work.

And that was that! What could I say? What could I do? I'd spent hours of my life on them. Suddenly the service got better, and it's been pretty decent since. So... who knows. Horrible horrible company.
I'm with you on that. It's sad that in my search for a new apartment some of my main questions are: Which cable company services the area? Can I get a satellite dish? I count down the days until I can ditch charter. It's been reliable lately but I've went through all sorts of crap with them.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

27 posts, read 100,802 times
It is interesting on who you speak to and their recommendations for the modem? I discovered a few of my co-workers in the San Gabriel area that are also subscribing internet service (only) from Charter. They are using the Motorola SB6120 and had no issues. I guess it all depends also in the specific area you are served, if you are using a wireless router, cabling, connectivity, etc. But the folks I asked did mention that the 6120 is a good modem for the value.

One thing appears to be the common theme with many and that is once you are a subscriber customer service dimishes.

Thanks all for your input.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 AM

23 posts, read 58,950 times
Personal Bias upfront: I have been working in the cable field for more than 10 years...

The Moto 5100 / 6100 are the workhorses of the industry. 5100 series for basic internet speeds, 6100s for DOCSIS 3 / faster connections. The modems are fine, if you have problems, it is a provider issue. I am currently on Charter, the service is an embarrassment to the cable industry.

FIOS is the best consumer internet option, if you can get it. It is very expensive for Verizon, and they are selective where they roll it out.

ATT Uverse in my mind is a dead end technology. Cheap for ATT to install, but limited in bandwidth. If you just need basic internet (no Netflix HD streaming) and don't plan on staying at your present location too long, I guess it is all right. If you think your bandwidth needs will increase (duh...), not so much...

Cable Internet will more than address most consumer needs, as long as the network is managed well. Cox has always been good at that, TWC is getting the issues worked out, Charter has a long ways to go. Charter is trying to sell their SoCal properties to TWC, which would certainly help...

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,822 times
I really hope Charter goes away. In my area, it is literally the ONLY cable internet service available -- no Vios, no U-verse, and we can't even get fast DSL.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,204,872 times
As awful as Charter is, I have to say it's a lot better than U-Verse. I had a whole thing go down with U-Verse a couple of years ago, and I'll never use AT&T again. I can't even get into it or I'll just become furious all over again (it was that bad) but suffice to say that they have about $800 of my money that they shouldn't have and that I'll never see again. Granted, some of that was cancellation charges. Charter has terrible customer service. AT&T actually stole money from me. And know a couple of people who had similar things (not as bad as me) happen to them with AT&T. I'll just say this: monitor your bill very very carefully with them. And prepared to be on the phone with them for 2+ hours when you find a problem. And prepared to not get your money back.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM

109 posts, read 203,599 times
Out of all of the major cable companies, Charter is the worst of the bunch. Worse than even TWC and Comcast. What more can be said?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 AM

378 posts, read 757,262 times
Charter, Charter, Charter....I once had to deal with a problem with them at the station where I worked. They REFUSED to speak to our engineers, so I gave about a hundred angry viewers their phone number and a message from the engineers. A day after the issue was resolved, I got a call from a viewer who told me he had personally gone to the Charter offices and stayed there for NINE HOURS, and refused to leave until he saw the top guy and relayed the message from our engineers. In the end, he got to go in and tell them, and they fixed the problem. They're on my evil list for all time.

Incidentally, the problem was caused by the fact that they were illegally airing our channel after refusing to contract with us, saying they didn't need us, and so they didn't get the memo about us moving channels around on our digital signal. So you can see what a lovely, upstanding company they are.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM

27 posts, read 100,802 times
Can anyone verify what is the contract difference if you were to only subscribe to Charter's intenet service plan (A) Preview Internet Express - 2 Year ($19.99/mo for months 1 to 3 & $34.99/mo for months 4 to 24 vs (B) Charter Internet Express - 2 Year ($34.99/mo for24 months)?

From the very little information Charter provides online both plans are basically the same service except Preview is a 24 month contract with early termination fee vs. the other plan is the same 24 month contract wiht no early termination fee. But as they say the devil is in the details.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles