Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 PM

46 posts, read 82,892 times

Advertisements

We plan to visit the school and if we think it's ok we'll definately get on the waiting list. Good to have options! Soooo much information, my poor little brain cell is probably about the try to escape out my ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Hi Purple73,

I am seeking to learn more about LA also, Glendale often pops up as a desirable suburb and I wondered if you would mind telling us more about the problem with Glendale schools... I am guessing it is public, so don't understand the kids as $ signs criticism.

We live in the San Francisco South Bay and kids used to go to a 900+ school, free lunch << 5%. When I first moved there, I was surprised by number of requests for $... but later came to see that some of it came from a huge parental involvement (often stay at home professional mothers) wanting to contribute, manage and organize. Many of the requests were for "feeding" teachers - lunches, meeting snacks, breakfasts... this was a bit of a culture shock as I was certain the teachers could feed themselves -LOL!

However, the high parental involvement also manifested itself in such good stuff as maintenance and funding of computer lab, parent help for typing classes, science labwork, field trip drivers and many $ raised went to hiring of teachers' aids etc etc. All this was a culture shock to me but I adjusted, very happy to let them fight over PTA positions and fundraise... while being more laidback and happily donating our fair share of $ and time in less high profile activities.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn62 View Post
Hi Purple73,

I am seeking to learn more about LA also, Glendale often pops up as a desirable suburb and I wondered if you would mind telling us more about the problem with Glendale schools... I am guessing it is public, so don't understand the kids as $ signs criticism.

We live in the San Francisco South Bay and kids used to go to a 900+ school, free lunch << 5%. When I first moved there, I was surprised by number of requests for $... but later came to see that some of it came from a huge parental involvement (often stay at home professional mothers) wanting to contribute, manage and organize. Many of the requests were for "feeding" teachers - lunches, meeting snacks, breakfasts... this was a bit of a culture shock as I was certain the teachers could feed themselves -LOL!

However, the high parental involvement also manifested itself in such good stuff as maintenance and funding of computer lab, parent help for typing classes, science labwork, field trip drivers and many $ raised went to hiring of teachers' aids etc etc. All this was a culture shock to me but I adjusted, very happy to let them fight over PTA positions and fundraise... while being more laidback and happily donating our fair share of $ and time in less high profile activities.
Let's start with kids are $, I heard my daughters teacher tell another mom that here daughter should not miss another day of school because the days that students are absent, the school doesn't get money for that student. It was not because the teacher felt the child was going to get behind, but because they wouldn't get paid for that student.

I'm going to have to get back to you with the rest of it. I'll just say this, if you think that an API score is what determines a good school, you'll love it.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple73 View Post
...her daughter should not miss another day of school because the days that students are absent, the school doesn't get money for that student.
But that's true of the entire public school system in the state of CA (and, I would imagine, in most states).

Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
I would try La Canada, South Pasadena, Sierra Madre, and Arcadia. All quite nice, and good for kids. You're right, test scores don't make the school... parents do.

Sounds like you have lots of options and some great advice here.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Ok, So just a little update for everyone, we have moved. A lot sooner than we had expected given we had another 7-8 months on our lease, basically we were forced to. Guess blessings can come in some pretty crappy disguises. We had one water leak in our apartment in december, caused some damage to the kids' bedrooms, but nothing huge. And then we had another water leak in just the one bedroom in febuary during the really heavy rains. The first nite we bailed water out of buckets from about 7p.m.-1:30a.m. (great way to spend a friday nite rite) and then it continued to leak saturday and sunday. So to make a long horrible story short, the room needed to be demoed and in all of that we found that there was mold from floor to ceiling in the kids' bedrooms. Being that the property management were total a$$holes about the situation, we got out of our lease and were able to get out of there.

We chose HUNTINGTON BEACH. We've found a place close to a school, half the rent we were paying in Glendale, and 2.5 miles from the beach. Jae complain about the commute, but he does complain about the sun shining and it being 70 when he gets up to go to work. That and something about he'd rather be going to the beach. LOL!!

But "thank you" everyone for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles