Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM

46 posts, read 82,892 times

Advertisements

So my husband transfered jobs for the Eastbay area of NoCal and is now working in LA, off of Wilshire Blvd. We thought we had done enough research and that it was going to be a good move for our family. (2+4). Originally we were wanting to live in or around Santa Monica, but found that we couldn't afford a place big enough. So we looked out further east of LA and are now living in Glendale. We figured we would do the apartment thing because Glendale had really good schools,wasn't that far from the beach, and it was affordable for us. Well wouldn't ya know after being here for 3 1/2, not only can we not afford it, but I hate it. The school that my children attend has an API score of 921. I dread everday that I have to send the kids there. All your kids are to them is a dollar sign and a test score. We didn't have the time to come and check out the area before we came, but from everything we read it was supposed to be a great family community. It's not exactly what we/I had in mind! So now we're looking for somewhere else. FIrst and formost we need to be able to afford it, needs to have good schools and I'm not talking about just API scores. (I've learned that alone doesn't make a good school) And in a decent area. I honestly can't do the apartment thing again so we would need to find a 3 BR single family or maybe a townhouse. Rent couldn't be anymore than $2k a month. And I'd really like to be somewhere that has actual neighborhoods with houses, and not multifamily complexes on that take up every block. Lastly but a serious issue is my husband commuting to work. We are very aware of the traffic issues here, so if there was somewhere along the metrolink route that wasn't a horrible commute, that would be great. If anyone has any good advice, I'm open to hearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Hmm,

There are a lot of choices. I think part of the problem is personal preferences, especially in the LA/OC regions. Some ppl love places like Glendale, Pasadena, Highland Park, etc... Especially single yuppies working in LA, or dual income no kid couples. So take some recommendations with a grain of salt, especially from those without children. Personally I prefer being closer to the coast (South Bay - Torrance, Redondo) or in nicer neighborhoods in OC.

Then you need to factor in the LA traffic mess. And working off of Wilshire is not a pleasant thing in terms of traffic going any direction (more than 5-10 miles). So his next option is the metro. I'm not sure about routes in and out of there. But if I were in your shoes I would definately look for another area away from the heart of LA. OC has a metro link out of Anahiem. So you could look at more normal suburbs in OC. Yorba Linda, Villa Park, northern Fullerton, etc... seem to have better schools and more normal SFR neighborhoods. We have family who grew up in Villa Park and loved that area. http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/

Then you come back to price which is pretty limited for a nicer 3 BR SFR in a more disirable neighborhood. You will have to be a bargain hunter. But the nicer SFR nighborhoods are well worth the wait. Of course with deals they tend to go quick so you'll have to jump on those right away. Check craigslist frequently as other will be as well. Hopefully you have good credit.

We eventually moved north of LA with our children and prefer Central and NorCal over LA/OC/SD. But sometimes one needs to follow their job and there is no other choice. So in that case find an area which better suite your family vs. the other guy/gal running around singing 'I Love LA.'

Is there a possibility for your husband to find a job outside downtown eventually? That may be the best longer term solution, even if the pay isn't quite as high.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-27-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple73 View Post
So my husband transfered jobs for the Eastbay area of NoCal and is now working in LA, off of Wilshire Blvd. We thought we had done enough research and that it was going to be a good move for our family. (2+4). Originally we were wanting to live in or around Santa Monica, but found that we couldn't afford a place big enough. So we looked out further east of LA and are now living in Glendale. We figured we would do the apartment thing because Glendale had really good schools,wasn't that far from the beach, and it was affordable for us. Well wouldn't ya know after being here for 3 1/2, not only can we not afford it, but I hate it. The school that my children attend has an API score of 921. I dread everday that I have to send the kids there. All your kids are to them is a dollar sign and a test score. We didn't have the time to come and check out the area before we came, but from everything we read it was supposed to be a great family community. It's not exactly what we/I had in mind! So now we're looking for somewhere else. FIrst and formost we need to be able to afford it, needs to have good schools and I'm not talking about just API scores. (I've learned that alone doesn't make a good school) And in a decent area. I honestly can't do the apartment thing again so we would need to find a 3 BR single family or maybe a townhouse. Rent couldn't be anymore than $2k a month. And I'd really like to be somewhere that has actual neighborhoods with houses, and not multifamily complexes on that take up every block. Lastly but a serious issue is my husband commuting to work. We are very aware of the traffic issues here, so if there was somewhere along the metrolink route that wasn't a horrible commute, that would be great. If anyone has any good advice, I'm open to hearing it.
Where "off Wilshire"? Wilshire is a long street. Is he near a metrolink? If so, Burbank, Simi Valley, Moorpark, and even Santa Clarita might not be out of the question. Also could look south.

Can he work off hours to deal with traffic?
Vanpools?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:56 PM

40 posts, read 118,013 times
Default True because...

I really LOVE Glendale, Pasadena, Echo Park and all that area. Then again I don't have school age kids and so would not have a clue as to what the school are like. But hell you can do a whole lot worse than Glendale, being in LA county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hmm,

There are a lot of choices. I think part of the problem is personal preferences, especially in the LA/OC regions. Some ppl love places like Glendale, Pasadena, Highland Park, etc... Especially single yuppies working in LA, or dual income no kid couples. So take some recommendations with a grain of salt, especially from those without children. Personally I prefer being closer to the coast (South Bay - Torrance, Redondo) or in nicer neighborhoods in OC.

Then you need to factor in the LA traffic mess. And working off of Wilshire is not a pleasant thing in terms of traffic going any direction (more than 5-10 miles). So his next option is the metro. I'm not sure about routes in and out of there. But if I were in your shoes I would definately look for another area away from the heart of LA. OC has a metro link out of Anahiem. So you could look at more normal suburbs in OC. Yorba Linda, Villa Park, northern Fullerton, etc... seem to have better schools and more normal SFR neighborhoods. We have family who grew up in Villa Park and loved that area. California School Performance Maps

Then you come back to price which is pretty limited for a nicer 3 BR SFR in a more disirable neighborhood. You will have to be a bargain hunter. But the nicer SFR nighborhoods are well worth the wait. Of course with deals they tend to go quick so you'll have to jump on those right away. Check craigslist frequently as other will be as well. Hopefully you have good credit.

We eventually moved north of LA with our children and prefer Central and NorCal over LA/OC/SD. But sometimes one needs to follow their job and there is no other choice. So in that case find an area which better suite your family vs. the other guy/gal running around singing 'I Love LA.'

Is there a possibility for your husband to find a job outside downtown eventually? That may be the best longer term solution, even if the pay isn't quite as high.

Derek

Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM

All I know is that he is near Korea Town...that part of Wilshire. And we have already started looking at areas along the metrolink. As far as him finding a job outside of downtown, not an option, this job paid for us to move down here and he's only been there for about 3 months. We are usually really good about doing our research on where we can afford to be...........I'm sure where we went wrong here. Not only that, but like I said before, I really don't care for the community or the schools and that's a big thing. THank you guys for your input. If you can think of anything else....please let me know. OH! Anaheim.......someone mentioned the metrolink has a station in Anaheim. How is it there? I've read more bad than good I do believe and heard that if you are looking there you should do Anaheim Hills, which I don't think is in our price range.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
it sounds like you guys would be better in distand burbs. i would check out santa clarita or fullerton. both are family friendly and have a nearby metrolink station. your husband would also have to transfer to the redline, so we're talking an hour plus commute each way though. it sounds like you're in a real tough position. you're either going to have to stretch your housing budget or move way outside of the city. this is a pretty normal issue for families in LA, you're certainly not alone. if you must stay closer to work, you may look in the culver city area, there may be some 2 or 3 br apartments and townhomes for around $2000 a month.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
We are usually really good about doing our research on where we can afford to be...........I'm sure where we went wrong here.
I'll tell you what went wrong here. You didn't use the City-Data forum soon enough.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I'll tell you what went wrong here. You didn't use the City-Data forum soon enough.
I guess you're right. We used city data, but not the forum. I had really very little to do with the research as I was bouncing back and forth from home to the hospital having tests done and then an emergency surgery. Somehow my husband firgured we could afford it. I never felt good about this move and now that we are here and all that is going on, it just confirms it.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
No, they went wrong by not checking out their prospective neighborhood in person. Take heart- you'll find something suitable. I spent seven of the best years of my life in LA. Best wishes in your search.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
I guess you're right. We used city data, but not the forum. I had really very little to do with the research as I was bouncing back and forth from home to the hospital having tests done and then an emergency surgery. Somehow my husband firgured we could afford it. I never felt good about this move and now that we are here and all that is going on, it just confirms it.
Yeah, some things we learn vicariously from other or through doing research and others we learn via personal experience. You are definately not alone. So you can just chalk this one up to life experience. But take heart LA and OC are huge counties with a lot of options.

Your requirements and/or budget may have to have some flex to them to be a bit more realistic. For example, as a parent, we always opt for the nicer neighborhoods, even if it means a smaller place. You can't have cheap, great neighborhood, schools, nice sized house and close to everything in LA or OC. There is just too much competition. You either pay more or opt for a bit smaller place. So find the better areas, then look for the best place you can afford there. Deals will come along but it takes a lot of patience to obtain it. Home owners aren't always greedy for the max they can get. Sometimes they ask for a more reasonable rent/lease, but are very picky with getting the right tenants.

I would recommend Yorba Linda, Villa Park, northern Fullerton over Anaheim. Check out the school districts in OC, their ratings, talk with parents, visit the neigborhoods, etc...

Bottom line - continue doing your homework like you are doing now. You may also want to post this question in the OC sub forum as you'll get more parents, families from that area. I know some do commute into LA.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles