Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I looked at the photos on the ticket. It shows him entering the intersection on red. It's because the light turned yellow when he was too close to the intersection and, at a normal light, he would have entered into the intersection on yellow. But because the yellow light was so short, he entered in a red. It went Green-Yellow-Red... about as fast as you can say it out loud.

There was a car next to us, but behind us that came to a SCREECHING halt just in time for the light to turn red. JUST in time. And they were about a full car length's behind us.

So, I don't know if we can fight it. Yeah, he entered on a red. But that's because he'd just gotten up to the intersection when it turned yellow for maybe a second (but I think less). He was going the speed limit... 35mph. I'm pretty sure he couldn't have stopped in time. Not without getting us into an accident.

I'm sure we could go and videotape the light (and the probably tire tracks from all the cars screeching to a halt) and prove that the yellow light is shorter than most other lights (and we probably will), but the fact remains that he did enter on a red light.

Is there no regulation on how long a yellow light lasts?
If the light changes quickly as you state and you have videotape of it, the ticket will be dismissed by the judge. Yes there is a regulation on how long a yellow light lasts....a few seconds I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I looked at the photos on the ticket. It shows him entering the intersection on red. It's because the light turned yellow when he was too close to the intersection and, at a normal light, he would have entered into the intersection on yellow. But because the yellow light was so short, he entered in a red. It went Green-Yellow-Red... about as fast as you can say it out loud.

There was a car next to us, but behind us that came to a SCREECHING halt just in time for the light to turn red. JUST in time. And they were about a full car length's behind us.

So, I don't know if we can fight it. Yeah, he entered on a red. But that's because he'd just gotten up to the intersection when it turned yellow for maybe a second (but I think less). He was going the speed limit... 35mph. I'm pretty sure he couldn't have stopped in time. Not without getting us into an accident.

I'm sure we could go and videotape the light (and the probably tire tracks from all the cars screeching to a halt) and prove that the yellow light is shorter than most other lights (and we probably will), but the fact remains that he did enter on a red light.

Is there no regulation on how long a yellow light lasts?
See this document http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/si...licy/05-01.pdf

35mph would require a yellow light at 3.6 seconds minimum

Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
See this document http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/si...licy/05-01.pdf

35mph would require a yellow light at 3.6 seconds minimum
This is great, thanks! I'm printing it out to use as evidence. I think we WILL go videotape that intersection.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 726 times
I received one of these tickets about a month ago. The tickets are just a revenue generator for the city. I was jogging at about 7:40 on a Sunday morning and decided to cross a major thoroughfare. There was no immediate traffic within 1/4 mile in either direction and I was jogging. No sooner do I cross and continue my jog down the opposite side of the street does a motorcycle cop make a U turn and stops me on my morning jog. No one had to slow down for me. I was not being a danger to anyone. The cop could just give me a warning. Instead he writes me a ticket. When I got home and found out it was a $190+ ticket I was livid. In my mind, a jay walking ticket is merited when someone is endangering their life or the safety of others. Writing up a ticket for citizen jogging across a street on a Sunday morning seems a bit excessive.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 AM

987 posts, read 1,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResPlanningSolutions View Post
I received one of these tickets about a month ago. The tickets are just a revenue generator for the city. I was jogging at about 7:40 on a Sunday morning and decided to cross a major thoroughfare. There was no immediate traffic within 1/4 mile in either direction and I was jogging. No sooner do I cross and continue my jog down the opposite side of the street does a motorcycle cop make a U turn and stops me on my morning jog. No one had to slow down for me. I was not being a danger to anyone. The cop could just give me a warning. Instead he writes me a ticket. When I got home and found out it was a $190+ ticket I was livid. In my mind, a jay walking ticket is merited when someone is endangering their life or the safety of others. Writing up a ticket for citizen jogging across a street on a Sunday morning seems a bit excessive.
The city's hard up for money, its ridiculous, I see your point, there are times early in the morning, the streets are empty (in DTLA,6am-6:30) and not a soul around, but there will be some hidden lurking, its easy money for the city because most people (emphasis, not all) do it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles