Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyNola View Post
Yes, by all means you can start a community clean up movement.

Form a block club with those who have interest in their community, and want to do something about it. I do not know if programs are still around like LANI who used to give neighborhood block club monies for beautification and for new facades/landscaping.

You can remove graffiti, paint, pick up trash, and help those who may be hurting so badly financially that they are not able to keep properties/businesses in good condition.

Appeal to your council member for suggestions, and also contact local TV stations and tell them what is going on. Someone at news may have interest, and move your story along.

If you truly have interest then get involved, and SCREAM as loud as you can!

Good luck!
I got an easier, more effective idea: Move to a nicer place.

It may sound defeatist but let's face it, the amount of change required, the odds of it happening make trying not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 PM

334 posts, read 285,649 times
im not moving

i bought a condo last year along the hancock park koreatown border.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshire View Post
I don't think anyone was calling into question the high density of Koreatown.

We were asking for you to provide a source for your complaints about K-town not getting its fair share of services/resources from the city.

Interestingly this has been a complaint by the valley for years. Hence, the past efforts to break away from the city.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
Quote:
City Councilman Tom Labonge opposes food trucks!!!!!!

No more food trucks on Wilshire??

This guy lives in a ivory tower obviously. I agree the books need to be opened up immediately.

Its probably a mixture of both slobs and reinforcement of that behavior by unclean conditions. Koreatown has improved considerably with private construction funds, but its time for a new city councilmember who is actually dedicated to cleaning up sidewalks and roads in the most densest and diverse neighborhood in Los Angeles.
Is there a BID (Bussiness Imp. District) in Koreatown? That is one way for locals to make a big difference. Don't expect city hall to solve all your problems in the middle of very tough times.

The BID in downtown has helped clean up that area...although the dumping of homeless in the area remains an intractable problem. How about the residents of downtown bus some homeless people to your area? I don't think you really have much to complain about in comparison.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Is there a BID (Bussiness Imp. District) in Koreatown? That is one way for locals to make a big difference. Don't expect city hall to solve all your problems in the middle of very tough times.

The BID in downtown has helped clean up that area...although the dumping of homeless in the area remains an intractable problem. How about the residents of downtown bus some homeless people to your area? I don't think you really have much to complain about in comparison.
if homeless were dumped in this area, they'd probably go slightly east to macarthur park. but macarthur park looks really nice now. its weird.

they'd probably end up back on skid row too, cus all the gangs go there to sell the drugs anyways. also, there's not as many empty places in general around here for homeless to sleep. in general cops definitely do pay more attention to nicer areas like the westside and beverly hills. which in a way doesn't make sense because they get their money from issuing more tickets nowadays, not frm the nice neighborhood itself.

i wouldn't mind hiring some homeless to clean up the streets though.

California needs to stop paying a surplus of federal taxes that subsidize other states and start hiring more teachers, build a subway from downtown to santa monica, high speed rail from SF to LA, etc... etc... its ridiculous that California pays $70 billion a year to other poorer states in federal taxes.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
City Councilman Tom Labonge opposes food trucks!!!!!!

No more food trucks on Wilshire??

This guy lives in a ivory tower obviously.
The Los Feliz Hills where LaBonge lives are pretty much of an "ivory tower". Him and the rest of the city council are idiots.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:07 AM

Looks like Koreatown has cleaned up a bit now that the new Councilman David Ryu is bringing in higher standards for LA!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:15 AM

183 posts, read 206,911 times
I saw a documentary about the King Riots and how K-town never fully recovered, because the insurance companies refused coverage for damage from riots (not covered in the policy) and that the city did not invest enough to rebuild the infrastructure and utilities...probably because Koreans don't like to complain. Seems the city council continues to not want to clean up one of their historical scars. I am sure they rather sink millions into the Olympics, all for better publicity.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:11 AM

Herb Wesson has done a better job in recent years

Old 02-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Yes! I bumped my 7 yr old thread. That's how much I care about LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles