Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,683 times

Advertisements

Just signed up on here, but I've been reading for a while.
It's been a great resource, I really appreciate all the inside info about various cities.

Here's my deal, I'm 26 yr old, single, straight, white, male (if any of that makes a difference). Currently, received a job offer in Santa Monica, and will likely be moving in about a month out of Austin.
I should be making low 6 figures out there, and will definitely consider a roommate scenario.

Any suggestions as far as areas to live in or near Santa Monica for someone my age? Really just want to be close to the action-nightlife, beaches, gym, etc. Anywhere to meet and mingle with people around my age.

Thanks a lot, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
I recommend reading this page to get acquainted with the various neighborhoods of Santa Monica:
Santa Monica neighborhoods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the Pico District is too run down for you, and the Sunset/Ocean Park district are more for families. North of Montana/San Vicente are also for families or very wealthy older people, and is a quiet area with little to offer besides trees and houses.

Your best bets are downtown Santa Monica and near Main Street.

Downtown Santa Monica is walking distance from the Third Street Promenade (huge outdoor mall with dozens of restaurants, shopping, movie theaters), as well as several bars, marketplaces, and anything else you could possibly imagine. It is also, kind of, walking distance to the beach, depending what part of downtown you're in. You might never have to drive to do your leisure activities.

your profile is a perfect fit for downtown santa monica and so are your interests. people living in downtown santa monica tend to be young affluent heterosexual professionals like yourself. It's best to live somewhere between Ocean Avenue to the West and 14th Street to the east, with montana avenue as your northern boundary and Colorado ave as your southern boundary. Preferably as close to Wilshire as possible.

I would only recommend main street instead if you're more of an alternative person - interested in arts, indie music, veganism, yoga, etc. There are also plenty of bars restaurants and stores around main street, but it tends to be the quirkier side of santa monica, and is adjacent to venice beach which is world famous for being different.

with your income you should be able to easily rent an apartment in either neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Locals from santa monica stay as far away from the promenade business district as humanly possible due to extreme congestion on weekends and all summer.

You don't need a roommate with a "low 6 figure salary", as long as you wont be leasing a 5 series and running up several hundred dollar bar tabs every night.

there are several smaller gyms in santa monica, but the big ones will be 24 hour fitness and spectrum (at the Water Garden). 24 Hour is dumpy, and Spectrum is nice, but busy.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,683 times
Thanks for the advice guys! That's a great start.

I'm pretty excited to get out there. I'll miss Austin, but I don't think Santa Monica is roughing it too much.

Definitely sounds like downtown would be the best spot. Walking distance to the beach is nice, but far from necessary. I can handle a few minute drive to get there.
It would be great to be able to walk to restaurants, bars, etc.

I'm definitely not an "alternative" type, closer to the complete opposite, would just like to be around lots of young professionals. Single, attractive females certainly don't hurt, either.

I think I would be fine leasing my own place, but I'd like to have a roommate or 2 or 3 just to start meeting people, making new friends in the area.
1200RT- you say avoid the business district, what area would you recommend?
Spectrum Gym looks perfect, it's literally within a block or 2 of work. Thanks for the heads up

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM

It really depends what you're looking for. I prefer north of montana, but its far from the scene you're looking for. Its much quieter up here. In all reality, anywhere in SM will give you great access to the nightlife you're looking for. I have no doubt that the downtown business district (basically 3rd street) would be fun if you're looking for a non-stop bar scene, it just becomes a little much, and is very touristy.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Most of the apartments I was referring to aren't exactly in the middle of the business district. I'd recommend looking at apartments on streets like Idaho, Washington, and California (and maybe Montana) in between 2nd and 14th Street. The apartments around there are quiet, filled with single young professionals (or young couples) and are walking distance/short driving distance to everything you'll need. California Street, for example, is only one block north of Wilshire (the main business district artery).

Though I do know people who live directly in the business district, like around Wilshire or Santa Monica Blvds, and while it gets congested and noisy, it could be a lot worse.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
It really depends what you're looking for. I prefer north of montana, but its far from the scene you're looking for. Its much quieter up here. In all reality, anywhere in SM will give you great access to the nightlife you're looking for. I have no doubt that the downtown business district (basically 3rd street) would be fun if you're looking for a non-stop bar scene, it just becomes a little much, and is very touristy.
What do you like about north of montana? It's an isolated wasteland (which I concede is a positive for some people).

Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
What do you like about north of montana? It's an isolated wasteland (which I concede is a positive for some people).
Wasteland would imply uninhabited, so i'm not sure if thats the right word.

Isolated? Kind of - short walk to Montana "night life" and a quick drive to anything in West LA.

Why do I like it? The streets in this area are not thoroughfares like most areas of Santa Monica. I see very few cars driving around from people who don't live here. Very few cars park on the streets. People take pride in their homes.

Different strokes, but I prefer living somewhere quiet. If I want some excitement, its not far away, but its not in my front yard.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
the best area in all of SM imho is just off of Main st within a few blocks of ocean park blvd. main st is mostly all locals and has lots of places to eat, drink and shop. also, the beach is just 2 blocks away. i lived there for a few years and do miss it, but it is expensive and most apartments are fairly old and small. newer buildings are very expensive (think $2500+/month for a one bedroom), but once you get home from work, you'll rarely need the car. the scene is fairly young, you should fit right in at 26, but you will start to feel a bit old in a few years when you're pushing 30 (but that's the same anywhere). the westside of LA is a great place and i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Wasteland would imply uninhabited, so i'm not sure if thats the right word.

Isolated? Kind of - short walk to Montana "night life" and a quick drive to anything in West LA.

Why do I like it? The streets in this area are not thoroughfares like most areas of Santa Monica. I see very few cars driving around from people who don't live here. Very few cars park on the streets. People take pride in their homes.

Different strokes, but I prefer living somewhere quiet. If I want some excitement, its not far away, but its not in my front yard.
It's not as remote as Malibu or the Palisades Highlands but it's pretty isolated for this part of town. Other expensive areas like Brentwood, Bel Air, and Beverly Hills or even the eastern end of the Pacific Palisades are much closer to everything. It's a nice place to live if you're old and boring

In my opinion, the OP should definitely be near or in downtown Santa Monica. Main is too alternative for him and overpriced, north of Montana has very few apartments and are also overpriced. And not near fun stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles