Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
god guys, settle down. you are really harshing this poster. what if you were wrong and she isn't a troll? she hasn't been antagonizing anyone, she just needs some advice. i really thought you guys had better manners. (BluSpark!) you guys are kinda acting like street thugs your damn selves.

alright, my apologies for the fellow angeleans on here.
don't freak yourself out. i kind of did that last night, got the first two seasons of "gangland" and my ex boyfriend lived on a street near silverlake ran by the MarasalvaTrucha (MS13). thank god i never saw the gangland episode about that while i was with him, because it would have frightened hades out of me. i met loads of gangbangers on that street and all of em were totally cool and watched out for my boyfriend. really weird.
but we are also white. i get why you would be frightened- latino gang members are notorious for being racist. that being said, the only random shootings that take place these days is in south central and very well known "bad areas". i lived in east LA, long a bastion for latino gangs. black people lived there too and i never ever saw any problems. never. my roommate and best friend is a black man and he was a hit in the neighborhood- kind of a goofball and got along with everyone. if you smile, and are friendly, you are gonna be fine. seriously, don't worry. its all in your mind. we are pretty civilized out here now and cops don't mess around. they are still busting gangbangers all over the place and that has everything to do with how safe things are now. i have walked all over Los Angeles at all hours of the night and never had anything happen in five years. good luck to you!
Thanks for this post. Very relevant question by the OP. Hate to read the usual accusatory responses full of meaningless nonsense before getting helpful responses like this. Good job. I am interested in this topic too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Gangs won't be in the top ten problems the original poster will have.

Expensive housing
traffic
challenging neighborhoods for schools (for when/if they have kids)
Hot summers in Woodland Hills
Dealing with rolling eyes after telling people new york bagels and pizza are the best
Wearing new york sports garb
Boring valley for people their ages
Smogging cars
Earthquake paranoia
Dealing with prejudice of being obnoxious new yorkers
Re-learning cable TV channels
Property taxes
Ripple effects from CA fiscal problems (closed libraries, teacher layoffs, state and local services, etc)
Missing family from back east

Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShow View Post
My husband's job can relocate him to Woodland Hills and I can work anywhere..
I was doing research online last night until 3am and was literally in tears. I am worried that I am bringing my husband to a war zone!
We are black, married, 30's no children.
He doesn't look like a gang banger.. wears a suit to work, tee and jeans on off days but is black nonetheless and we look really young for our age.
In NYC, I rode the train 3, 4, 5 in the morning, people get shot all the time in the city, danger is not new to me and in NYC I always feel safe but do we avoid the hood, the ghetto movie theaters and we never have problems.
This may seem like a dumb question but can gangs be avoided if you live in the "right" area and shop and dine in the nicer areas?
or is being black like wearing a bullseye on your back??
I know violence can happen anywhere but based on some of the stuff I've read.. it seems like the gang problem in LA is unavoidable no matter where you live.

Thank you for your time.
RO.
I think you have a pretty good feel for the city. It's not nearly as dangerous as it once was but you still have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. I had visited a friend in Brentwood, not too long ago, and was sort of surprised to see a group of gangbangers hanging out at the Walgreens drugstore on San Vicente Blvd. That is supposed to be a nice area. So yes I would say gangs are everywhere. However if you live in the more upscale areas, you are less likely to run into them. The people that I know in Beverly Hills, Palisades, Hollywood Hills, etc. tend to stay within their own circles.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think you have a pretty good feel for the city. It's not nearly as dangerous as it once was but you still have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. I had visited a friend in Brentwood, not too long ago, and was sort of surprised to see a group of gangbangers hanging out at the Walgreens drugstore on San Vicente Blvd. That is supposed to be a nice area. So yes I would say gangs are everywhere. However if you live in the more upscale areas, you are less likely to run into them. The people that I know in Beverly Hills, Palisades, Hollywood Hills, etc. tend to stay within their own circles.

I doubt anyone would ever see a "real" gang banger in Woodland Hills. I never have.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Gangbangers at the CVS you mean on san vicente blvd near bundy? How do you know they were gangbangers? Though I'm not doubting it, that CVS is the only 24 hour place open in brentwood. I actually remember once driving on san vicente in brentwood around 3 am and LAPD had closed off the portion by the cvs, maybe there was a robbery or investigation

Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Gangbangers at the CVS you mean on san vicente blvd near bundy? How do you know they were gangbangers? Though I'm not doubting it, that CVS is the only 24 hour place open in brentwood. I actually remember once driving on san vicente in brentwood around 3 am and LAPD had closed off the portion by the cvs, maybe there was a robbery or investigation
You can't tell the difference between the real ones and wannabees? There were around 10-15 hanging in the parking lot, penitentiary poses, shaved heads, tattoos, and all.

Yes, that is the store.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
penitentiary poses
Bent over grabbing their ankles?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:25 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
You can't tell the difference between the real ones and wannabees? There were around 10-15 hanging in the parking lot, penitentiary poses, shaved heads, tattoos, and all.

Yes, that is the store.
This must have been late at night.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
This must have been late at night.
Yes!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM

106 posts, read 390,155 times
:lol:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles