Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 PM

35 posts, read 74,265 times

Advertisements

OK - I know what you're all thinking - you've seen this before. But things are tough out there, and I need to know things before I make the "leap." I currently live in Santa Monica - "people's republic" - L-O-L!!! But I need to make a change. You see, I have a roommate, and he has some BAD habits. Like, when he has friends over, they make fun of my earmuffs. This is not funny. And, when he tries to talk to me, he yells real loud - like he's making fun of my earmuffs in a backhanded way. Not funny again. And when I'm trying to shower he and his girlfriend sneak into the bathroom and remove my earmuffs because they know that's when I have my blindfold on. And more stuff like that that's not funny, you know? You know.

So I want to move to Venice beach, but I've heard the economy is bad there. I know Santa Monica is bad, but is it bad in Venice too? Locals ONLY please!!! I live a few blocks from the border in Santa Monica - the border with Venice. What are the rents like? This is a cross-town move for me, so is the job market significantly different there? Should I get a temporary apartment in Venice first to try it out - you know, before I quit my job and make the leap? This is big. It's big. What is the weather like there? Do I need earmuffs?

Thanks for your honest advice. And please do not make fun of my hump. I am gentle. The hump is calloused, but I am gentle. Thank you nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic Bicoastal Liberal View Post
Venice is for poor people.
It's not so bad that you would need two earmuffs, one should work.

Quote:
I would like to be near the beach, but not near any crowds or illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants practice voodoo and have magic decoder rings that make everyone speak Spanish.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times
the problem with venice, where i lived for two years, is this- your earmuffs will continue to be a problem. don't be surprised if you have a ghetto bird assigned to you SPECIFICALLY. expect many nights chilling on your groovy new balcony with a big fat spotlight on you at all times. the glare will necessitate a trip to the boardwalk to buy some of those cheap shades. but you have to make it there alive first.

also, rose avenue is really the border. and expect to meet, before you even cross over, alot of burning man types who are gonna wanna strongarm you into belonging to one of their raw food clubs right there in front of God and Vishnu and everybody. those guys are nothing to mess with. they drink illegal, UNPASTEURIZED milk. they are not like you and i. they are known to strangle people with their long, wooly dreadlocks, and barring that, with their yoga pants. if you are lucky, the sweat-weed-and-patchouli odor will knock you out first.

after you run that gauntlet then you have the surfer types. Never mind the menace of Harry (you know, the guy on the roller skates). he will play his white guitar until you think that your mind has taken leave of your body. and he WILL FOLLOW YOU. venice has a very self-assured clique of homosexuals as well, and you will be menaced in ways that i cannot even speak of, lest i forfeit my right to give great advice (such as this) on this forum.

you have to at LEAST have some gang contacts, or know a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, or own a van with a lawn chair strapped to it loaded with hairy, patchouli drenched hippies to even BEGIN to get along in that city. santa monica is like a piece of fun pie compared to the hoary, dark menace that is Venice. See, it rhymes with menace. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?

stay away. and if you don't, better bring your own drugs, and you better expect to share.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
You know?
no, i most certainly don't.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
OK - I know what you're all thinking - you've seen this before. But things are tough out there, and I need to know things before I make the "leap." I currently live in Santa Monica - "people's republic" - L-O-L!!! But I need to make a change. You see, I have a roommate, and he has some BAD habits. Like, when he has friends over, they make fun of my earmuffs. This is not funny. And, when he tries to talk to me, he yells real loud - like he's making fun of my earmuffs in a backhanded way. Not funny again. And when I'm trying to shower he and his girlfriend sneak into the bathroom and remove my earmuffs because they know that's when I have my blindfold on. And more stuff like that that's not funny, you know? You know.

So I want to move to Venice beach, but I've heard the economy is bad there. I know Santa Monica is bad, but is it bad in Venice too? Locals ONLY please!!! I live a few blocks from the border in Santa Monica - the border with Venice. What are the rents like? This is a cross-town move for me, so is the job market significantly different there? Should I get a temporary apartment in Venice first to try it out - you know, before I quit my job and make the leap? This is big. It's big. What is the weather like there? Do I need earmuffs?

Thanks for your honest advice. And please do not make fun of my hump. I am gentle. The hump is calloused, but I am gentle. Thank you nice people.
Oh there's no jobs in Venice. But at least rent is cheaper there. If you live by Rose Avenue (i.e. Sunset Ave or Flower) I know people who live in 3 bedroom houses for 2500.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM

45 posts, read 105,495 times
Quote:

Rep!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM

35 posts, read 74,265 times
I don't think nighthouse is serious about my post. Vans and humps. Humps and vans. Alas, I cannot decide to make the leap.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I don't think nighthouse is serious about my post. Vans and humps. Humps and vans. Alas, I cannot decide to make the leap.

You should chop off your hump so you don't look like such a disgusting freak.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Frankly, I don't think anyone is "serious" about your post since what you ask makes it abundantly clear that you do not live in Santa Monica or LA. To ask the questions and make the comments reveals you don't know anything about either Santa Monica or Venice Beach.

Next!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Frankly, I don't think anyone is "serious" about your post since what you ask makes it abundantly clear that you do not live in Santa Monica or LA. To ask the questions and make the comments reveals you don't know anything about either Santa Monica or Venice Beach.

Next!
one could only conclude that you are joking because of the fact that SANTA MONICA AND VENICE ARE RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. its called a map. they can be useful for trolls. with humps. wait, now i get your ranting about humps. its a troll thing, right? do i win a prize? can i get it in cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles