Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:50 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan my daughter's 1st birthday party. Somewhere in the valley (I'm in Burbank) or LA/West LA/Pasadena/etc...

I'd have it at our place, but it's too small (our living room seats about 3 or 4). I'd have it in a park, but it will be February and possibly too cold or raining.

There will be anywhere from 8-17 adults and 5-11 kids (ranging from 8 months - 8 years old). I have no idea who's coming, yet.

I don't want to do anything major as it's just her 1st birthday (and it's not like she'll remember it). But I'd like to acknowlege it and use it as an excuse to get together with some friends who have kids. I thought Joe's Crab Shack would be perfect as people could just get drinks or order food (we could provide some appetizers) and the older kids could play in their playground-thing. But the closest ones are Ventura & Redondo beach!

Is there another place like Joe's where we don't have to book a room or something? A place that's fun for adults AND kids (i.e. no Chuck E Cheeses)?

I really don't want to spend more than $100. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
How about a park? Sandwiches or grill something?
Travel Town in Griffith Park?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How about a park? Sandwiches or grill something?
Travel Town in Griffith Park?
The problem with a park is that it will be in February. It might be a beautiful day... and it might be cold & raining. And then what would we do?

Thanks, though!

Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Somewhere in the valley (I'm in Burbank) or LA/West LA/Pasadena/etc...
our place, too small
8-17 adults and 5-11 kids (ranging from 8 months - 8 years old).
I thought Joe's Crab Shack would be perfect

I really don't want to spend more than $100.

How would you have pulled off a Joe's Crab Shack for 8-17 adults and 5-11 kids for $100?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
How would you have pulled off a Joe's Crab Shack for 8-17 adults and 5-11 kids for $100?
one appitizer for every two people and 1 small dessert plus asking everyone to pay for their own drinks, whether coke, coffee or booze?

I would think for a kids first birthday party Micky Ds would be just fine.
Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
one appitizer for every two people and 1 small dessert

Think about that.

You walk into a restaurant, everyone around you is eating a full meal and you are expected to eat a half an appetizer? That's like three bites of food.

Think about the host of the party. Everyone sits down and she says "OK everybody, pair up, because each pair can split an appetizer."

I just don't see this working.

Joe's is a neat place because it has the playground - it is pretty unique in that way - the adults can sort of eat in peace while the kids can good off.
But for $100 there's no way this can work for the amount of people involved for the norms associated with a birthday party.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. I was freaked out by the $20/person places I've seen. I guess I figured if I ordered a couple of pitchers of iced tea and 5 or 6 appetizers? Again, it MIGHT be 8 adults and 4 or 5 kids. I don't know. I could imagine Joe's getting pissed about me bringing a brood in and only spending $100, heh.

I could do $200. I don't want to be cheap, but I also don't want it to be a crazy affair with clowns & magicians & stuff like that. Or buying everyone dinner. I don't want anyone buying her presents or anything as she/we have plenty of stuff. I really really wish my place was big enough to accomodate everyone!

McDonalds might work, actually.

My mom suggested IKEA, heh.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 PM

My husband nixed McDonalds.

The whole thing is just weird. She's too young to have a fun kid's party. But we want to celebrate it. But saying "Hey, let's all meet for lunch to celebrate and, by the way, you're each paying for your own lunch!" sounds/is cheap. But I'm not willing to spend $300+ for a birthday that she's not even going to remember or care about.

Sigh. We might just celebrate it, just the three of us. What do 1 year old's like?

Back in Boston (and this is when I was a kid, so I don't even know if it's around anymore), there was a "family restaurant" where, on Sundays (and/or maybe Saturdays) there would be something really fun for kids. A magician... stuff like that. You'd just go for dinner, and the magician would come by your table at some point. I think there was face painting, too. I remember lots of streamers or confetti... stuff like that. I used to BEG my parents to take me. That might all be too old for her, but she might like it... I don't know.

Is there anything around like that?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM

We normally did our first birthdays at our home. Sounds like you are open to scaling it back, family and a couple close friends. A platter of sandwiches, a couple bottles of wine, good enough.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Think about that.

You walk into a restaurant, everyone around you is eating a full meal and you are expected to eat a half an appetizer? That's like three bites of food.

Think about the host of the party. Everyone sits down and she says "OK everybody, pair up, because each pair can split an appetizer."

I just don't see this working.

Joe's is a neat place because it has the playground - it is pretty unique in that way - the adults can sort of eat in peace while the kids can good off.
But for $100 there's no way this can work for the amount of people involved for the norms associated with a birthday party.
I being a smart ass, I thought you would realize this was tongue in cheek?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles