Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
How do people do it in Cali?? My wife is a doctor and I have a masters degree, but there is no way we could afford 500k +. Do people just spend more of their income on housing in California, or do you get paid more there? Sure looks nicer there than Atlanta, that's for sure!

I like Bungalow Haven!
Yes to both questions but the salary differntial is NOT that great so people just plunk more of their income into housing than in other more affordable parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM

127 posts, read 435,690 times
yes, you are house poor in California--but the house is a good investment, unlike other areas of the country. So when you scrape together enough to buy in good area, you just grit your teeth and do it. You may not have a huge savings account, but your house is your savings.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
How do people do it in Cali?? My wife is a doctor and I have a masters degree, but there is no way we could afford 500k +. Do people just spend more of their income on housing in California, or do you get paid more there? Sure looks nicer there than Atlanta, that's for sure!

I like Bungalow Haven!
I would think this would be very possible, esp. if you were both working. Granted I don't know your student loan/debt situation.

Pasadena is truly a GREAT area. It is a city with great culture, charm, and architecture. I wish more of SoCalif. had been built like Pasadena.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
with the credentials your family has, you should be able to afford much more than $300k and not be house poor, unless you have significant debt. in that case, just save up for a few more years and you should be fine.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM

278 posts, read 1,109,832 times
some debt...but honestly, daycare is a killer!

its funny, I hear a lot about sprawl in LA, but honestly it appears much better in layout than Atlanta (with all its cul de sacs and curvy streets)...LA looks much easier to navigate.

Thanks for all the responces!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
some debt...but honestly, daycare is a killer!

its funny, I hear a lot about sprawl in LA, but honestly it appears much better in layout than Atlanta (with all its cul de sacs and curvy streets)...LA looks much easier to navigate.

Thanks for all the responces!
Yes...LA is more dense and urban than common stereotypes would suggest.

Much of the City of LA is laid out on a grid (including the LA basin and the San Fernando Valley). The city's early development was initially on street car lines in the early 1900's (which were unfortunately all torn out by the early 1960's).

Pasadena is also lad out on a grid (for the most part).

Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

I like Bungalow Haven!
what do you call small or Bungalow type? Are you willin got settle for say 1000 to 1100 sq ft? Do you have kids? A home that size would have no more than 2 bedrooms..

Pasadena, if you are looking for say 1500 sq ft or more will be out of the question. Where will your wife be working? Can you go out about 30 miles from Los Angeles in any direction? There were several home listed in areas like Rosemead just a few days ago starting at $450,000 for only about 1200 sq ft and no honest to goodness charm.

It is tough in So Ca. Most who live in those homes have lived there for years or have sold a home and made a killing.

Nita

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
yes, you are house poor in California--but the house is a good investment, unlike other areas of the country. So when you scrape together enough to buy in good area, you just grit your teeth and do it. You may not have a huge savings account, but your house is your savings.
a good investment in todays market? Not true. We have a piece of property in Ca that was worth $350,000 a few years ago and now is worth about 200,000. My brothers small home in Simi Valley is worth about the same, but was worth about 500,000 not all that long ago. No, property used to be a good investment, but not so true anymore, especially in Ca. There are places in the country that haven't surffered as much as Ca. Will the market come back? Sure, but right now, God help anyone who needs to sell.

Nita

Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
carrot, I am laughing because I currently live in Atlanta and would love to move to California. Unrealistic right now, but who knows. I keep a picture of the Father of the Bride house on my computer and look at it every day! In Atlanta you could get it for 300K but then again, location, location, location! If you're serious about moving there, you could rent for a bit and see how it goes. Some cute areas and rental prices are pretty decent in Hancock Park and also around The Grove. The Valley is cheaper too but it's hot as heck they say. Anyway, funny post.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM

127 posts, read 435,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
a good investment in todays market? Not true. We have a piece of property in Ca that was worth $350,000 a few years ago and now is worth about 200,000. My brothers small home in Simi Valley is worth about the same, but was worth about 500,000 not all that long ago. No, property used to be a good investment, but not so true anymore, especially in Ca. There are places in the country that haven't surffered as much as Ca. Will the market come back? Sure, but right now, God help anyone who needs to sell.

Nita
Nita,
You may be right--it may not be a good investment where you live or where your brother lives, but it certainly is where we live and own a home in the bay area. We bought for under 500,000 in '99, and now our home is worth double that.

Pasadena also is a solid investment. I agree some areas of California are suffering, so you need to be choosy where you buy.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles