Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM

278 posts, read 1,108,717 times

Advertisements

but not so expenive....I looked up that particular house in Pasadena and it was almost 2 million!...what if I wanted a neighborhood like that, house does not have to be as big though, and only want to spend 300k?

Just researching areas to live out side my current Atlanta...the economy has hit my industry (design field...40% unemployment in Atlanta), and all the jobs seem to be in either California or New York in the design fields (architecture/landscape architecture/civil engineering etc).

Anyway, I watched Father of the Bride today and loved the location shots, but its way out of my budget!

and if no place in metro LA is like that within that budget...where in Cali could I find that (being good schools, safe, quaint downtown, tree lined streets with sidewalks, historic homes etc)

THanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Do you know where in LA the movie was filmed? If it looked like a very nice neighborhood than probably the homes would be over $500,000. To get a house for $300,000 would likely be more like a house for $150,000 in Atlanta; nice but nothing too spectacular.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:24 PM

it was filmed in Pasadena, I "drove" around Pasadena in google earth and loved it!! but its expensive per zillow...2 million plus.

How do people afford housing in California? we currently have a 300k+ house in "urban" part of Atlanta (no part of Atlanta is really urban though )...so for atlanta its a small house. I'm more interested in character of the neighborhood / safety / schools, than having a big house.

thanks!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
it was filmed in Pasadena, I "drove" around Pasadena in google earth and loved it!! but its expensive per zillow...2 million plus.

How do people afford housing in California? we currently have a 300k+ house in "urban" part of Atlanta (no part of Atlanta is really urban though )...so for atlanta its a small house. I'm more interested in character of the neighborhood / safety / schools, than having a big house.

thanks!
Oh, I live in Pasadena but in the poor people's section near San Gabriel! Some neighborhoods are very expensive but you can get a house for $300,000 in Pasadena in some of the less expensive middle-class areas like up around Altadena. But the homes around the Rose Bowl and San Marino are very expensive [even over $1 million].

Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM

749 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Neighborhoods with character and small homes (say 1,000 sf to 1,800 sf) under $1 million can be found in many places in LA County but I am afraid you are going to face sticker shock no matter how you slice it.

Pasadena's "Bungalow Heaven" neighbohrood is a good example. Very charming homes but not mansions by any stretch.
BHNA Home Page

This link from Oct. 2009 indicates that home prices in Bungalow Heaven were in the $550,000 to $600,000 range, on average.
Bungalow Heaven Home Prices | Pasadena CA Homes | Pasadena Real Estate | Homes for Sale Pasadena CA

Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Neighborhoods with character and small homes (say 1,000 sf to 1,800 sf) under $1 million can be found in many places in LA County but I am afraid you are going to face sticker shock no matter how you slice it.

Pasadena's "Bungalow Heaven" neighbohrood is a good example. Very charming homes but not mansions by any stretch.
BHNA Home Page

This link from Oct. 2009 indicates that home prices in Bungalow Heaven were in the $550,000 to $600,000 range, on average.
Bungalow Heaven Home Prices | Pasadena CA Homes | Pasadena Real Estate | Homes for Sale Pasadena CA
But aren't those bungalow homes basically classic old homes that would be expensive anywhere in America [like craftsman homes]. I don't know real estate but I am sure a person could get a home in Pasadena for around $300,000 in areas north of the 210 freeway going up the hill into Altadena or certainly around San Gabriel, Duarte, Monrovia, right?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM

How do people do it in Cali?? My wife is a doctor and I have a masters degree, but there is no way we could afford 500k +. Do people just spend more of their income on housing in California, or do you get paid more there? Sure looks nicer there than Atlanta, that's for sure!

I like Bungalow Haven!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,055,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
How do people do it in Cali??
many are property rich, but cash poor....or have lived in their house for years and had bought it when houses were more "reasonable"

most jobs pay more than in other parts of the country....

any other ways people do it in Cali??

Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
But aren't those bungalow homes basically classic old homes that would be expensive anywhere in America [like craftsman homes]. I don't know real estate but I am sure a person could get a home in Pasadena for around $300,000 in areas north of the 210 freeway going up the hill into Altadena or certainly around San Gabriel, Duarte, Monrovia, right?
Yes....you are right.

According to the link I provided the average home size in Bugalow Heaven is between 1,600 sf to 1,800 sf. You are right that they are "classic" homes in the sense that they have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. So clearly these are small, expensive homes due to the historic character of the homes.

The OP did ask for small character homes so I was giving Bungalow Heaven as an example.

This link from Zip Realty shows current homes listed for sale in Pasadena ranging from the low $300,000's to upwards of $1,500,000. But the bulk of the listings are $500,000 and above.

Homes For Sale, MLS Listings, Houses and Condos For Sale | Zip Realty Real Estate (http://www.ziprealty.com/buy_a_home/search/results/sample.jsp?page=1&msg - broken link)=

Old 12-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
many are property rich, but cash poor....or have lived in their house for years and had bought it when houses were more "reasonable"

most jobs pay more than in other parts of the country....

any other ways people do it in Cali??
I think you summed it up pretty well.

Some people also inherit homes from family members that were paid off years ago or at least have a very small note on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles