Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 16,984 times

Advertisements

Hi we live in an apartment building on the 3rd floor in los angeles county. I just received an email from the building manager that the neighbors are complaining that there is excessive noise during the day and night and that since she hasnt heard it that she hasn't taken any action and she doesn't know to what extent it is. The complaint is that there is running around, stomping, slamming doors, loud sex, and playing music. I have been told that if the floors aren't insulated enough that it isnt my problem and it would be a hard case to have in court. Can someone give me there expert opinion on this matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Are you or are you not being loud?

Case to prove in court? I highly doubt you'll be going to court.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Most landlords (the smart ones anyway) include a "quiet enjoyment clause" in their rental agreements, and if you violate that rule, you are out.
Can't blame it on anything but your selfish need to play your loud music too the point where it annoys the other tenants.
You wouldn't last five minutess in any of my rentals.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
GROW UP!!!.
Bob.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,202 times
Building construction has a lot to do with it. If floor means a sheet of plywood covering up over structural beams, then every step will be heard downstairs.

You don't even hear commercial food prep equipment on the floor below with a sturdy concrete construction. You'll hear a pin dropping and rolling chairs being rolled around with a cheesy floor.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
While people need to be able to live (I wouldn't expect my upstairs neighbor to tiptoe around), I do expect common courtesy (that upstairs neighbor had better not be stomping around like he lives in a house!). I know all about thin walls; I lived that way for twelve years. If the other noise around the building ceased for a moment, I could hear my downstairs neighbor sneeze!

If multiple neighbors have complained then chances are good that you're being too loud. If you want to be loud, rent a house!

Is it really so difficult for you to be quiet, rather than seek advice as to whether you have a leg to stand on legally because the building isn't properly insulated?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

If you want to be loud, rent a house!
Just don't rent any of mine.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 16,984 times
You shouldnt have to tip toe around your apartment. These people complain if i drop the remote controller from the TV. I think that when you live in an apartment we have to be considerate of others but others need to understand that they are in an apartment and there will be noise. I understand it is very hard to evict someone of loud noise when the floors are paper thin unless the police is involved and that isnt the case

Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM

89 posts, read 215,009 times
If the problem is the floors, have you thought about throwing down some area rugs? Yes, the people downstairs from you should be realistic about where you're all living, but so should you. Sounds like a trip to IKEA would go a long way toward keeping the peace.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer116 View Post
You shouldn't have to tip toe around your apartment. These people complain if i drop the remote controller from the TV. I think that when you live in an apartment we have to be considerate of others but others need to understand that they are in an apartment and there will be noise. I understand it is very hard to evict someone of loud noise when the floors are paper thin unless the police is involved and that isn't the case
No, you shouldn't have to tip toe but you can't live like you are in a house or think you can do whatever you want in "your" apartment either. That's what many people never seem to learn. The young ones are the worst (I don't know your age so I'm not picking on you but as a group they are pretty stupid renters). In a multi unit environment like an apartment your lifestyle and the way you live DOES have to change, or you are just the ass who makes all the noise and everyone complains about. Wear headphones, shut doors quietly, never jump or run or yell, and keep sex noises down (eww! you aren't entertaining anyone and sound much worse than you could ever imagine). And it's easy to evict....it doesn't take the police. Just the landlord wanting to keep good QUIET tenants happy. They will often sacrafice the bad apple for the good will of everyone else.

Not everyone is cut out for apartment living but they don't realize that. It's called ignorance.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer116 View Post
The complaint is that there is running around, stomping, slamming doors, loud sex, and playing music.
All these would be acceptable if it was occurring during sex otherwise you will need to make sure no one is running around, stomping, playing loud music or slamming the doors. Simple as that. As far as loud sex goes, just gag her.

I am a good size guy but I would tip toe if people below me would complained but I lived upstairs the last 4 years in 3 different apartment building and never had anyone complain. Unfortunately, I am on the first floor at my current place and the medium build older guy upstairs is worse than a college kid. He gets up 2-2:30am turns on his music/TV fairly loud and keeps it on until he leaves to work around 4:30-5am. I told my apartment manager about it and had her talk to him, made no difference.
After weeks of sleep deprivation, I eventually confronted him but I was very cool and civilized, he had the nerve to flame back at me saying he was working very long hours and that he didn't have to take any sh.t from me! Inconsiderate, uncivilized, selfish jack.ss anyone?

This is apartment living in LA or presumably anywhere else. If I could afford a house or even a condo, I would have been long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles