Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 PM

223 posts, read 470,516 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, In a separate thread i was looking for advice on places to live for a 350k condo budget, considering a commute to Santa Monica where I work. I've somewhat settled on the idea of moving to Sherman Oaks as I recently scouted out the area and liked what I saw.

I'm looking for advice from the Sherman Oaks locals or experts here.... I've read that Benefit/Dickens just south of the boulevard are excellent areas but there are very few condos available there (though I've seen some around 300k which is very appealing).

I've also heard Willis, which is just north of Ventura is good. Outside of these streets where else is it nice to live? From driving around the neighborhood it generally looked nicer south of the 101 freeway but i don't want to pass up potentially good condos north of the freeway, or further east on the Studio City border either (Like that Oak Pointe place I saw on Magnolia that looked nice).

I'm 29 with a girlfriend and no kids on the way anytime soon if that helps. thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
the further from the 405 you get, the more difficult your commute will be. as for sherman oaks, pretty much the entire area is nice to very nice except for the area bordering van nuys (which still isn't too bad). i can't give you specific intersections to look at, but staying south of the 101 is best and south of the boulevard is ideal.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 PM

South of the boulevard is tough because there is basically ONE street that has condos on it and that is Dickens. There are a few sprinkled on Greenleaf and that short street Benefit but not much else.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 AM

749 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblackflag View Post
South of the boulevard is tough because there is basically ONE street that has condos on it and that is Dickens. There are a few sprinkled on Greenleaf and that short street Benefit but not much else.

I agree with BRinSM's basic advice. But you are correct that the inventory of condos "south" of the Blvd. is limited to just a few streets (like Dickens).

Absolutely nothing wrong with the complexes immediately north of Ventura Blvd. Just try to stay south of Magnolia (or no furhter north than Burbank).

Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 PM

I've heard there is an area that's built on top of an old riverbed or dump or something that would crumble in an earth quake. Does anyone know specifically which area to avoid?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:24 AM

749 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblackflag View Post
I've heard there is an area that's built on top of an old riverbed or dump or something that would crumble in an earth quake. Does anyone know specifically which area to avoid?
I am not aware of ANY dump in the vicinity.

The LA River does run through the northern stretches of Sherman Oaks and Studio City. But that is a concrete channel.

There is something called "liquefaction" where soil near a large water body can become unstable in an earthquake. This happened in the Marina District in San Fran. in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Many buildings in that district were heavily damaged. But the Marina district was "created" by landfill where dirt was moved to fill in the wet soil since the area is adjacent to the Bay.

Soil liquefaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The LA River by contrast is a trickle. So I don't think that is an issue there. But flooding COULD BE an issue in storms like this one if your complex is right next to the river.

That said, you should try talking to some local realtors and ask them what they do or do not know. You can research it further based on what they say.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:54 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
Many of the apartment buildings on Willis just north of Ventura Blvd. sustained heavy damage after the Northridge earthquake in 1994. I certainly wouldn't live in one of those! I'm not sure that Dickens St. would be much better. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 PM

9 posts, read 20,837 times
Kester and Moorpark has some nice condos, I believe. That area is great for walking, cafes, etc.
1 block north of Ventura. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles