Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 AM

244 posts, read 629,398 times

Advertisements

Congratulations and keep it going. It's always great to read about people who realized their goals and are happier with life.

I'm miserable here in Montreal and as soon as I saved up enough money, asta la vista baby! LA here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I live in NorCal and plenty of people move to SoCal and "make it" for awhile. For whatever reasons most move back or relocate elsewhere after awhile.
That was me in a way. I lived in SoCal for about 8 years and then moved away because I wanted to be able to afford a house.

I spent two semi-miserable years in Austin, TX and Boston, MA. Living elsewhere gave me a whole new appreciation of LA and its awesomeness. Now I'm back and don't ever plan on leaving.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Congrats on making it, but you have to understand you're not the norm.
Obligatory grumbling note of disgruntlement...

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 31,636 times
Why can some people not enjoy other's happiness or success moments? They feel as if they "must" bring fear back to those starting to love life and finally getting somewhere...

To the OP:

Many people may not make it for long here in L.A or elsewhere; but please DO REMEMBER that many people DO! And why not you?

Think of yourself as an "A list" person; and keep up building up your career and personality. It takes determination, courage and discipline to pave your way into a successful career and life.

Many fall pray of other's fears; need for approval and negative advice; you dont have to be one of them. They don't have to continue to perpetuate their frustration either but grow tired and choose to do so instead of embracing change, reviewing their past, habits & consequences and rebuilding their lives.

I am glad you are enjoying your experience in L.A and I wish you nothing but the best!!!

Make everyday count!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
Moved to LA from Boston back in 1980 and glad I did. Despite the highest sales tax just about in the nation, California has more positives than Massachusetts. I only miss the change of seasons, but then again, I only live 30 minutes to the snow....or the beach. hahaha

Old 12-30-2010, 05:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity2012 View Post
Why can some people not enjoy other's happiness or success moments?
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
LA here I come!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why?
I just drove from Burbank to Pasadena at 5pm and back at around 7pm. I took the 5 and the 134. I encountered NO traffic (other than a little bit right in Pasadena due to the Rose Parade).

I've also driven down to Hollywood during rush hour many times. Made it in about 15 minutes.

Compared to the Boston area, driving here is HEAVEN!

The 101 is a different story, I know. Still WAY better than Boston, though.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I just drove from Burbank to Pasadena at 5pm and back at around 7pm. I took the 5 and the 134. I encountered NO traffic (other than a little bit right in Pasadena due to the Rose Parade).

I've also driven down to Hollywood during rush hour many times. Made it in about 15 minutes.

Compared to the Boston area, driving here is HEAVEN!

The 101 is a different story, I know. Still WAY better than Boston, though.

This is not a typical week.

Does boston ever make the top ten of any traffic list for which LA comes in first every time?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Why can some people not enjoy other's happiness or success moments? They feel as if they "must" bring fear back to those starting to love life and finally getting somewhere...

I think part of it is the idea of "making it", unless that just means he made it to LA, which isn't hard to do. I'm happy the OP found a job but I don't really know if I call that "making it". Maybe in a couple years....LOL. But this is true of anyplace.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Neighbor View Post
How do you know he's not the norm? I hear lots of vague yet dire third-hand warnings about how impossible it is to relocate here, but it's not the people who "failed" who are posting the dire warnings, it's the people who are still here or left on their own volition.
The people who fail can not respond. The poor who who pass away are voiceless on the roadside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles