U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 PM

69 posts, read 143,186 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering what people thought of this area. I see a house there that I want. This area is between Glendale and Pasadena, but it's LA. They call it Glassell Park.

It's on the west side of the Glendale Freeway, with Eagle Rock and Occidental College on the East side of the Glendale Freeway.

Any thoughts of the area? It seems like a decent area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 AM

4,486 posts, read 9,896,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPorterPitt View Post
LOL @ out of state people wanting to buy before even visiting a neighborhood.

Authorities tear down Glassell Park drug house [UPDATED] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

The Gangs of Glassell Park - Features (http://media.www.oxyweekly.com/media/storage/paper1200/news/2009/04/08/Features/The-Gangs.Of.Glassell.Park-3701068.shtml - broken link)

Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM

77,804 posts, read 96,502,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPorterPitt View Post
Hello,

I was wondering what people thought of this area. I see a house there that I want. This area is between Glendale and Pasadena, but it's LA. They call it Glassell Park.

It's on the west side of the Glendale Freeway, with Eagle Rock and Occidental College on the East side of the Glendale Freeway.

Glassell Park is not considered the northeast part of L.A. or I wouldn't call it that. I would call it just plain north, but everyone has his/her own ideas. That being said, it isn't a bad area, but not the best. Glendale, Pasa and Eagle Rock are probably a little better.

Have you even visited Los Angeles, do you have any idea what the area surrounding Glassell Park is like and why do you think you want to buy this particular piece of property?

Before anyone can really give you much advise we would need to know what and why you have picked that house.

Nita

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM

422 posts, read 1,739,661 times
Actually, regardless of what the map looks like, Glassell Park IS considered in Northeast L.A.

Here's some info about the neighborhood.

Here's a blog about the area, and here's another.

We've lived in Eagle Rock and Mount Washington and became very acquainted with the area when looking to buy a home. The part of Glassell Park west of the 2 Freeway is considerably more sketchy than east and I would not consider living there.

But the previous replies are spot on: Don't try to find a place to live in L.A. from long distance. You may see a nice home on a nice block on the Internet but it could be surrounded by Squalortown.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 AM

362 posts, read 774,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post

But the previous replies are spot on: Don't try to find a place to live in L.A. from long distance. You may see a nice home on a nice block on the Internet but it could be surrounded by Squalortown.
This.

In addition, for a quick idea of the area -- load up the address in google maps and do a "street view" and then virtually walk up and down the street to see if the neighbors have cars on blocks in their yards or run down homes with couches and other unique items displayed in their yards... you'd be surprised... have seen plenty of nice looking places online, only to have both neighbors

Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Thank you all very much for your very helpful information!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM

17,816 posts, read 23,797,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Actually, regardless of what the map looks like, Glassell Park IS considered in Northeast L.A.

Here's some info about the neighborhood.

Here's a blog about the area, and here's another.

We've lived in Eagle Rock and Mount Washington and became very acquainted with the area when looking to buy a home. The part of Glassell Park west of the 2 Freeway is considerably more sketchy than east and I would not consider living there.

You're correct, it is Northeast LA. I rented a house there in the early 90s when I was at USC. There are some nice houses up in the hills, but the area itself is sketchy.

Only place I ever lived in LA where the house got robbed. Also witnessed a car jacking there.

Wouldn't be my choice of neighborhood in 2011.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I looked at the map of the area with the gang problem. The area of the house that I was looking at is north of the cemetery, specifically a couple of miles north. I've been around that neighborhood and it seems okay.

Shasta Circle, 40th street, is the area. Not too bad. But Mount Washington seems better. I'm just afraid of a quake taking my house down Mt. Washington, LOL. Those canyon hills are steep.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,099,513 times
I live in Mt Wash. The piles supporting the house go down about 30'. No worries. And the hill (actually Mt Wash itself) is very nice. It's basically Glassell Park. I have a friend who rents a place off Nordica Drive. Nice views, quiet, certainly safe. The flats down in Frogtown can be sketchy (other side of the river), but the hills off El Paso are nice.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM

362 posts, read 774,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're correct, it is Northeast LA. I rented a house there in the early 90s when I was at USC. There are some nice houses up in the hills, but the area itself is sketchy.
You're talking 20 years ago... Wasn't Silverlake borderline sketchy in the early 90's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>