Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times

Advertisements

Today the LA Times revealed the proposed design of the Broad museum that will be built next to the Disney Hall. What do you think? Does it meet your expectations for a major art museum? I have mixed feelings myself.

Animated fly-through of DSR design for Broad museum | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM

216 posts, read 200,661 times
I love the design of the Broad Museum. The outer texture is appealing and interesting, and it's design will compliment it's neighbor, Disney Concert Hall.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
I love the design of the Broad Museum. The outer texture is appealing and interesting, and it's design will compliment it's neighbor, Disney Concert Hall.
Yes, granted the museum will look different and unique but I'm not too excited by honeycomb design myself.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
The exterior isn't really thrilling, but the interior I love. It has an airiness and expansion that works well in its environment, especially the upper level that's open to the sky through the honeycomb. The exterior concept is a "veil" that lets people peek inside. Good concept but there's little more to it than that. It's something I'd like to have seen at L.A. Live, maybe.

I was hoping for more landscaped space, but that might not be part of this initial presentation. Or those design issues will be handed to the Grand Avenue project whenever it gets off the ground.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
I am not thrilled with the exterior honeycomb look either. Maybe it will grow on me over time but I am not so sure. Agreed that the interior renderings look very nice.

I am excited to hear about the plans for enhancing the public realm on Grand Ave (widening sidewalks, public plaza, etc.). Though the renderings shown so far don't reveal much about those plans.

I don't agree with Christopher Hawthorne's critique about the underground parking garage. He thinks it's a "problem" that visitors will have to exit to 2nd Street first in order to enter the museum. He seems to think visitors should be able to go straight from garage to museum...as if it were a shopping mall or dentist office.

No thanks.....too many buildings in LA are desinged so visitors never touch foot to the surrounding streets. This is supposed to be an art museum connecting to one of California's most dense concentrations of cultural institutions.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
It's almost as hideous as that Disney monstrosity.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
Hate it. I think all new buildings downtown should have echoes of the art-deco, streamline moderne style, so the city has some unifying personality.

But I pretty much think every tall building built since 1960 looks stupid.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
You mean "The Eggo"? Butt ugly. Inside and out.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
I'm not feelin the honeycomb effect AT ALL. It's like being inside a spaceship from a cheesy 80's sci-fi movie. They need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

uggh... i just realized the proposed site is going to replace the lot where I park for Disney Hall/Music Center events.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
I had hoped to find some redeeming quality about it with the video, but, nope! It reminds me of an Ikea store inside (after you ride the escalator which reminds me of a Disney/cat scan "Journey Into The Body" type thing).

The honeycomb effect is interesting but the whole building doesn't relate to the streets very well. It's not very friendly looking. Instead of looking like an upside down box, I think I'd like it better if it looked like an open box...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles