Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 AM

12 posts, read 43,500 times

Advertisements

Since this will be the last term of Antonio Villaraigosa cause of terms limits who going to be the next mayor of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Someone without a made-up last name?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM

8,563 posts, read 10,984,238 times
I can't say at this time who I would vote for, but these names come to mind when it comes to candidates who may choose to run.
Garcetti, Rosenthal, Cooley, and Parks.
Bob.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,178 times
Myself as the write in candidate. I think Los Angeles is ready for a Filipino mayor

I don't even think anyone has even voiced that they are going to run yet. It's still a bit far out. Ask the question again in 2012. By then, the world should end, making this all a moot issue!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I can't say at this time who I would vote for, but these names come to mind when it comes to candidates who may choose to run.
Garcetti, Rosenthal, Cooley, and Parks.
Bob.
Since I'll probably be back in L.A. by then I can comment on this:

Garcetti's definitely running. He has two important ethnic bases covered being a Latino Jew, he represents a multiethnic district and has heavy name recognition. While he's more popular than the OTHER Silver Lake councilman, Tom LaBonge (one of the worst hacks on the City Council, which is full of them), he's just another political hack.

Cooley has more power in his current position than he'd have as L.A. mayor. It would be a step down for him in power, although he'd have more visibility to compensate. Keep in mind that being L.A. mayor is the kiss of death for running for high office in CA, as Yorty, Bradley, and Riordan found out. Cooley also lost L.A. county by a big margin when he ran for AG.

Rosenthal and Parks seem less likely to win if they run, but they very well could run. Rosenthal would win on the West Side, but outside of the West Side he'd just get votes from white liberals, Jews, and gays. (So, figure Silver Lake/Los Feliz and parts of the Valley in addition to the West Side and the almost-West Side .) OTOH he does get Latino and Asian support in his district but I don't know if he could in a citywide election. He might be "too West Side".

Parks would win South Central and Southwest L.A. and would have a coalition of African-Americans and the business community but given his past lack of success in aspiring for higher office I don't know who else he'd get. He hasn't had much success with other groups, isn't liked by organized labor much, and didn't have a very good record as LAPD chief. He has some definite obstacles to winning a citywide election.

One other name not mentioned: Rick Caruso. He's made no secret of wanting the job.

Unfortunately, the people most qualified for the job (and I wouldn't consider anyone mentioned so far to truly be qualified) will probably not get it, regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or sexual preference, because the system is designed to weed out the most qualified and reward the most incompetent.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 AM

179 posts, read 921,767 times
majoun - Latinos no longer vote for latinos any more just because they are latino. They got screw over too much voting like that in the past. And i don't know of any Latinos who like Garcetti.

I have yet to decide how i'm gonna cote this time around. Concerned about the new Govenor's upcoming rumors of a special election this spring.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
majoun - Latinos no longer vote for latinos any more just because they are latino. They got screw over too much voting like that in the past. And i don't know of any Latinos who like Garcetti.

I have yet to decide how i'm gonna cote this time around. Concerned about the new Govenor's upcoming rumors of a special election this spring.
I would hope that is true not only with Latinos but with all other groups.
I'd hope Latinos wouldn't vote for Garcetti because he's Latino and that Jews wouldn't vote for Garcetti because he's Jewish.

Garcetti's somewhat popular in Silver Lake (where he lives) but much of that is because he's regarded as less bad than the OTHER councilman who represents Silver Lake, Tom LaBonge (who's universally despised for good reason) and he's also young, somewhat good looking, and slightly charismatic. OTOH he's a political hack just like the rest of the City Council. Can you say "Villaraigosa II" except Garcetti lacks the "up from poverty" personal narrative being the son of a prominent politico, isn't QUITE as much of a wanna-be celebrity, and is more cultured than Tony V. That is NOT what L.A. needs.

I left out one other possible L.A. mayoral candidate who there's been speculation about: Zev Yaroslavsky. While certainly part of the L.A. political establishment which has failed he is very intelligent and liked and actually has a vision for saving L.A. and securing its future. Granted there's been speculation about him running for mayor since the '80s but he very well could run this next time as he'd see it as his last chance. He's not getting any younger.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM

362 posts, read 818,061 times
In this azz-backwards day and age, I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Rizzo win the seat...

Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
I'd vote for Caruso. Parks and Garcetti are nuts. Rosendahl is acceptable, and probably a lot better than Tony Villar.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 AM

559 posts, read 1,380,069 times
Connie Rice or Jackie Goldberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles