Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,161 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked many many times before but I was reading so much in forums and got confused of different opinions.

I am mid 30's, white, with wife and 2 kids, moving to LA. I am not concerned about job, I have my income from internet. I am looking to rent 2 bedroom between 1,000 and 1,500, near the beach if possible.

I was thinking of Redondo Beach but then I read about areas to avoid like Compton, Ingelwood and Long Beach. Is Redondo Beach safe? even if its so close to these areas?

What other areas do you recommend? Any Tips in renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I would concentrate on finding what you DO like, rather than what to avoid. Besides, you can't write off entire areas like Long Beach; there's just too many variations Your budget for a 2-BR is very low, however, and will limit your options. Redondo is nice, but expensive. What do you want in a neighborhood? Do you need public schools? What are you willing to compromise (space, safety, proximity to beach, etc.) to find a place? Public schools in the area always seem to be a sticking point ("good" districts cost a lot), but I don't know what the public schools are like in that part of the area.

What are your reasons for moving to LA? It's not a question just out of idle curiosity, but rather that your answer will help people to give you tips on potential places to live. With your budget some (or a lot) of flexibility will make it much easier to get something you like. A quick Craigslist search popped up some 2-BRs in Belmont Heights, Long Beach, for under $1500; I don't know that neighborhood myself, but it always seems to get good reviews from posters here. I think you'll have a tough time finding something in Redondo Beach for under $1500, but maybe the forum South Bay experts can weigh in on that.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datop123 View Post
Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked many many times before but I was reading so much in forums and got confused of different opinions.

I am mid 30's, white, with wife and 2 kids, moving to LA. I am not concerned about job, I have my income from internet. I am looking to rent 2 bedroom between 1,000 and 1,500, near the beach if possible.

I was thinking of Redondo Beach but then I read about areas to avoid like Compton, Ingelwood and Long Beach. Is Redondo Beach safe? even if its so close to these areas?

How important is it to be in LA? Ventura or Carlsbad might allow you to get something near (within a couple miles) of the beach but still, that budget is kind of low - not sure.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Hi All,

REdondo Beach is a great little community. One thing I am not clear about, are you talking 1000 to 1500 Sq ft or 1000 to 1500 dollars?

Nita

Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
You're not gonna get a 2 br for 1000-1500 near the beach or in a decent area unless it's around Long Beach. Redondo Beach is great but pricy. I recommend bringing your 2 br budget closer to 1500-2000, where you may find something decent and middle class.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM

113 posts, read 553,239 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Redondo Beach is a great area...but as others have said, most 2br apartments in the area will be a bit more than $1500, at least the nicer ones.

You could also consider Torrance, which borders Redondo on the east. It's a normal middle class area, generally nicer west of Hawthorne Blvd and south of Torrance Blvd, and literally just a couple miles to the beach. Oh, and schools are good too if your kids are school-aged.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM

216 posts, read 200,901 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Redondo Beach is safe and a great place to live. It's located in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. I'd also recommend El Segundo. It's an older community with lot's of charm. And if you can spend a bit more money, look at Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach. It stands to reason, the closer you are to the beach the higher the rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles