Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 PM

244 posts, read 629,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Check SMC's link: Admissions
The inscription papers the lady @ SMC sent me had tuition written at $6,000 for International Students as I mentioned. Unless that's not what you are referring me to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Unless that's not what you are referring me to?
The link was for your other questions, e.g. availability of financial aid for international students.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM

244 posts, read 629,260 times
Quote:
The link was for your other questions, e.g. availability of financial aid for international students.
Thanks! I found an advertisement on the page from ''Free Application for Federal Student Aid'' and I just e-mailed them for information to see if I am eligible and stuff.

It's got info on the page, but I couldn't find the info on if ''International Students'' were admitted to receive some aid.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
It's got info on the page, but I couldn't find the info on if ''International Students'' were admitted to receive some aid.
Try Student Aid on the Web
or eduPASS | Financial Aid for International Students | The FAFSA

Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedGirl23 View Post
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me. I am 19 years old and in the process of getting my GED. I will be moving to the Los Angeles area in February. I was wondering if the community colleges in LA require high school diploma/or GED. I went to LACC's website and they only said "You have to be 18 and over and have a motivation to learn" or something like that. Does the same go for SMC, Moorpark, Pasadena, and Pierce? I cannot find any information on SMC's website. I clicked on the admissions catergory and they only said "to enroll you must apply online and take your assessment tests". Can anyone familiar with this topic please help me?

--Confused Girl
No high school diploma is required for community colleges here in California (unless you want to go into nursing). If you complete 60 transferable units at a community college with good grades, you could even transfer to a CSU or UC campus without a high school diploma. The key is working closely with the counselors to ensure that you are on the right track in terms of coursework.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
No, you don't need a HS diplomas or a GED certificate to enroll in any community college in California. I think in order to get an A.A. or A.S. degree, or transfer to a four-year college at the end of your two years in a community college you would need to have obtained a HS diploma or a GED. Since you're working towards completion of your GED now that wouldn't be a problem for you.

You don't say whether you're moving from another state; that's why I included the non-resident info. It would ony affect the amount you would pay.

Here are two links to this type of information:
CaliforniaColleges.edu - Admission Requirements

CCCApply - Home

I hope this was helpful. Best wishes in your academic endeavors!
You don't need a high school diploma for an AA/AS degree (unless you are pursuing nursing) nor do you need one for transferring to a California public university (CSU or UC) if you have 60 units, met CSU transfer admission requirements and earn good grades.

CCCApply - Home
CSUMentor
University of California

Quote:
You take the assessment tests before you sign up for any classes. If you don't pass the English or math proficiency test, you must take a remedial course in it for no credit. You have two semesters to pass the course.
The assessments are not pass/fail but placement tests that colleges use to ensure that students are taking the correct English/Math/Reading courses.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
I am tariq I 22 old years. I wanna talk in any thing possible

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The assessments are not pass/fail but placement tests that colleges use to ensure that students are taking the correct English/Math/Reading courses.
Who said they were pass/fail? The student can't take a regular math or English class for credit unless h/she passes these assessment tests.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedGirl23 View Post
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me. I am 19 years old and in the process of getting my GED. I will be moving to the Los Angeles area in February. I was wondering if the community colleges in LA require high school diploma/or GED. I went to LACC's website and they only said "You have to be 18 and over and have a motivation to learn" or something like that. Does the same go for SMC, Moorpark, Pasadena, and Pierce? I cannot find any information on SMC's website. I clicked on the admissions catergory and they only said "to enroll you must apply online and take your assessment tests". Can anyone familiar with this topic please help me?

--Confused Girl
pretty yes, it does, but you should have your GED, but it isn't required for entrance and be prepared to pay high out of state tuition even for a CC. after you have lived in Ca for a certain period of time you will be a resident and the charges will go down considerably. Good luck.

Nita

Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Who said they were pass/fail? The student can't take a regular math or English class for credit unless h/she passes these assessment tests.
As I've stated before, the tests are placement. The student has to get a certain percentage of questions correct in order to take college-level math/English courses. Most students who are unable to achieve that score are not even ready for college-level math. I cannot speak for private universities but the CSU system also requires incoming freshmen students to complete assessment tests as well (ELM and EPT). Students are often unable to determine which math/English class they can handle so assessment tests offer objective data in terms of what math/English level the student is currently at to ensures proper placement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles