Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM

53 posts, read 66,058 times

Advertisements

I want to move back to Los Angeles! I have the opportunity to do so in one month....your opinions and advice are IMMENSELY appreciated!

I dont think any of you remember me, but I use to live in Los Angeles exactly one year ago. A friend of mine, (attractive female), asked me to be her roommate starting February! I currently have no job where I currently live or in Los Angeles.

Background: Im living with my mother and sister. Recently got laid off and will be receiving unemployment til mid February. Live in North County San Diego, no plans in returning to school here for another year or so. Limited to only having one job and having to commute far to find good employment. I don't have a drivers license, I have to attend a school 30mins from where I live for a year to retrieve it. I feel like staying here, is limiting me from my full potential..

I am not looking to live on the Westside, but in the valley. Rent is going to be about 600$ a month. I have calculated that with bills, rent, food, transportation and miscellaneous expenses I will be spending roughly 1400$ a month. I have an extensive network in Los Angeles, if worse comes to worst, I would owe my attractive female deposit money and would be stuck sleeping in a couch with a friend.

My attractive female friend offered me a room two days ago, I have applied to about 15 different jobs in the Valley area and already heard back from 3 for interviews. WOULD YOU MAKE THIS MOVE YOURSELF? OR WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE ME?

I dont have any money saved...

I calculated that I NEED around $1000 dollars to pay first months rent plus all the other expenses that come with moving out and moving in. Any advice on how to get that type of money quickly? ... Im already planning on taking small jobs to save at least 300$

Im not taking a car! but I am VERY familiar with public transportation in Los Angeles and lived for over half a year relying on public transport.

I lived in Los Angeles for about 4 years in 2006-2009/10.

I am very confident that I could find employment, potentially two jobs, in one months time. Like I said, Ive had good responses from the past two days of submitting resumes and cover letters.

PROS: Potential of returning to school this semester. CSUN, where I left a year ago. Driving school for my license would be a mile away from where I live to keep me from driving! Public transportation is MUCH BETTER in LA thus might allow me to have two jobs.

SHOULD I MAKE THIS MOVE?

I am 22 years old. Male. Strong employment history in Sales, Customer Service, and some management.

P.S. Aside from my attractive roommate, in the Fall of 2011 her ex roommate will start living with us to reduce expenses. She is also very attractive.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times
If you get the grand, sure, why not? Where you gonna get a grand from though? Be wary.

The attractiveness of the females shouldn't matter but keep it in your pants if it's a roommate

Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,894 times
Why don't you want to attend this school to get your driving privileges back?

It does not sound like you are financially able to make this move and it would probably be better for you to stay where you're at, get a job there, get your driving privileges back, save up a good amount of money, and then consider moving. You would be taking advantage of your friend by not paying her the deposit and would also be taking advantage of whoever's couch you would be sleeping on. I, for one, would not be ok with my friend not being able to pay their portion of the deposit - if they can't do that, what else can't they afford? And sleeping on someone's couch is a very temporary thing, eventually they're not going to want you to be sleeping there.

Your plan sounds rash and poorly thought out.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,346 times
Yes, with a capital Y.

You are 22 years old. If it all falls to sh*t, the worst that can happen is you move back in with your mom and sister. Enjoy living with the two attractive women and try to get laid as often as possible. Again, you're 22 and the status quo is not so great. So, just go for it. The worst case scenario is what you have now.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM

396 posts, read 925,380 times
My motto: "You only live once. Might as well live with two attractive females"

I modified it to go with the thread (the original version involves Russell Crowe)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM

244 posts, read 629,260 times
Of course you should, it's a good opportunity to be living with 2 people that are friends of yours. Less expensive and your ready to go.

But make sure you keep it in your pants if you know it might mess everything up, and if not... get crazy, get wild.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM

53 posts, read 66,058 times
Thank you! @ladoll - Yes like I said I was offered this 2 days ago...All these plans were thought out in that time.

The reason I would rather attend the school in the Valley is because I already know the location, the ppl there, and it would be about a mile away from where I would live. My current school is 30 mins away and I have to drive or find a way back home because public transport doesn't run past 9pm here.

My friends over there are like family to me and I to them. Trust me. Its not just some people that I would see once a week or every two weeks. I am seeking full time employment aggressively right now and am confident I could find employment to repay back debt or begin settling back in the area.

but theres always that WHAT IF.. :/

Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,970,285 times
Let me think about that ...

Old 01-13-2011, 10:08 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Come and knock on our door....

Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,379 times
You probably know this already but everyone in LA is attractive or at least they think they are.
Also to be attractive on the inside as well as the outside is a rare commodity.
You have been warned so now go and do what you intended to do anyway and move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles