Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 826 times

Advertisements

So I've lived in Santa Barbara/Carpinteria and up the coast in San Luis Obispo. I currently live in Texas and have a Dental Assisting certificate. I want to move to either LA, San Diego, or Santa Barb. County.
SO my questions are...

What is a safe-ish area within an hour from the beach, a dental assistant could live for under $800 a month?

and...How should I go about finding an apt. in that city since I won't have a job until I get there (and most places want proof of sufficient income)?

Any Ideas/help would be appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Can you be more specific about what kind of community youre looking for. in those 3 counties there are areas you can live within an hour from the beach for 800 a month (and are you looking for a studio/1br or a roommate, or a room in a house). in LA county, safe, maybe not so much. unless you're willing to get a roommate.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Look on craigslist for a roommate. You'll be able to find something for $800. There's a lot of good neighborhoods within an hour of the beach, but in general i would stick to west of the 405 FWY for beach access

Also, in before 5 different grumpy old men tell you that you shouldn't move here.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I will chime in, almost a grumpy old man.
It is good to move back to CA. This just may not be a good time to move here. Many businesses are cutting back and there is a lot of people applying for the same jobs. I would bet many dentists are doing teeth cleaning themselves to keep cost down.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Grumpy young man here. and yes, ferretkona I have seen many dentists cutting back and doing their own cleaning in LA.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
yes, as an unemployed angeleno it is NOT A GOOD TIME TO MOVE HERE. no matter how special of a snowflake you might be.

on the bright side, being that i haunt craigslist on the daily, i can tell you alot of dentists' offices are hiring admin people who must know medical terminology, so you might be able to find something here better than some others.

you really, really should get a roommate for the first few months, and make sure you talk to them on the phone or via facebook or something. you can rent a room for 600-700 a month. you are never far from the beach if you are in LA, but if you want to live in venice, santa monica or west LA in general you are gonna have to make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles