Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 AM

32 posts, read 80,656 times

Advertisements

This depends on so many factors.

Have you been to Los Angeles before?
Where exactly is your work going to be located?
Are you more of a "downtown" or "suburbs" person?
How do you feel about ethnic & demographic diversity?
How important is it to live by the beach?
How far are you willing to drive to work each day?

Generally speaking, for a family of 4 setup, and coming here from Europe
(I did the same years ago but sans family), I would expect a job offer of at least 100K. 120 would be better.

This may seem relatively high for some places but here, you will need it just to lead a "middle class" life in a relatively nice area.

Best of luck with your plans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper 004 View Post
Thanks a lot again, I appreciate a lot your answers and advices, it is very helpful...

We'll definetly consider Belmont Park and Belmont Height as well and have a look to what we prefer...

About the money they will be offering, we will know it next week.

At this time, I will certainly come back to the forum to get some more of your expert advices...

So far, to have an idea of possible houses to rent, we are looking at craiglist, would you advise any better websites?

Cheers,
Jasper
FYI, I'm not sure you are going to be happy with the rents on houses in Belmont Shores. It's a pricey area, and while apartments are not too expensive, stand alone houses are. I would expect a 2bd 1ba house in the area to run $2K+ per month whereas the same size apartment might be had for $1400-1600/mo.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,860 times
Hi,

Thanks again for your answers.

So to answer the various questions,

1- Yes I already went to LA a lot of times but mainly for work. I thus begin to have a pretty good idea of the local geography however I do not have precise ideas yet about how it is exactly to live in this or this place...

2- The work will be located in Brea in OC

3- We are definitely more downtown-type however with the children now, we would like to find the best compromise between "good and easy life with the kids" and proximity to various urban hubs such as LB or LA. It is actually for this reason that we more or less focused our research around Belmont Shore and so on....

4- We feel pretty good about it as we are used to popular areas with a lot of diversity. We actually like this mixity and therefore would like to avoid any kind of ghettos (in both sense...)

5- Living by the beach would for us be a bonus but not a necessity. The walkability of the area if the most important for us.

6 - If this could be situated between 30 min without traffic and 60 min with, I think that this would be nice... Do you think that Belmont/LB would fit in this? I would have the possibility to adjust my hours to some extent...

7- COncerning the salary, I'll do my best ;-)) and well heard what you advised...

Taking into account the commute to/from Brea and our will to live in a walkable and kid-friendly atmosphere, would you recommend anything else that the BElmont/LB area?

Thanks to all again for help, it is GREAT to have such forum,
Great day,
Jasper

Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Belmont Shore or Seal Beach would work. Seal is a lot more family friendly while still retaining excellent walkability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles