Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM

55 posts, read 237,690 times

Advertisements

I live in Portland, but getting a new job in LA.

I love this area, except for the weather - it just plain sucks - but you know that already, since you grew up here.

As for those who say the traffic here is just as bad, I think not! If you know the backroads, you can get around all of the major traffic jams unless you are commuting north from Portland during the rush hour - you can't escape that one. But LA traffic is much worse, from what I can tell by the posts on this forum, and from a short visit last week.

The big differences are the weather and the housing costs. I have been looking for a small, single-family residence to rent within commuting distance to LA, and it is tough to find anything decent for less than 3K/Month.

Be that as it may, I am looking forward to LA and to getting some freaking sunshine for a change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakovos Bond View Post
I have been looking for a small, single-family residence to rent within commuting distance to LA, and it is tough to find anything decent for less than 3K/Month.
I disagree with this part. Plenty of decent, small houses for rent for 3k and less. I guess it all depends where you are looking.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM

75 posts, read 428,691 times
Quote:
I live in Portland, but getting a new job in LA.

I love this area, except for the weather - it just plain sucks - but you know that already, since you grew up here.

As for those who say the traffic here is just as bad, I think not! If you know the backroads, you can get around all of the major traffic jams unless you are commuting north from Portland during the rush hour - you can't escape that one. But LA traffic is much worse, from what I can tell by the posts on this forum, and from a short visit last week.

The big differences are the weather and the housing costs. I have been looking for a small, single-family residence to rent within commuting distance to LA, and it is tough to find anything decent for less than 3K/Month.

Be that as it may, I am looking forward to LA and to getting some freaking sunshine for a change!
Would you mind giving me some input once you finally move there?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I disagree with this part. Plenty of decent, small houses for rent for 3k and less. I guess it all depends where you are looking.
In a family-friendly area? Where is your secret source? I guess you need to be there in person to find them?

And to compare - what you will find in LA for 3K/Month you would be able to get in Portland for about 1700/Month. But I guess that is what you pay for living where there is sun...

Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
In a family-friendly area? Where is your secret source? I guess you need to be there in person to find them?

And to compare - what you will find in LA for 3K/Month you would be able to get in Portland for about 1700/Month. But I guess that is what you pay for living where there is sun...
No, you don't need to be here they are ALL over Craigslist, Trulia and other rental websites and many of them are legit in very family friendly areas. Also, my job in Portland would pay about 60% of what I get paid here. See how that works?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:

No, you don't need to be here they are ALL over Craigslist, Trulia and other rental websites and many of them are legit in very family friendly areas. Also, my job in Portland would pay about 60% of what I get paid here. See how that works?

Edit: just read your other posts and it seems you think a smaller house is a 3/4 bedroom with a yard. That is not small.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Quote:

This is spot-on, 100% correct. If you want a house that isnt a dump, that is around 1500 sq feet and not stuck in the 70's, in a safe neighborhood with halfway decent schools then yes - it will cost you upwards of $3000 a month. For what we pay here we can rent a 2500 sq foot home on the lake in Lake Oswego

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM

75 posts, read 428,691 times
That is significantly cheaper, consindering that Lake Oswego is the most affluent suburb of Portland. I doubt you can get a house on the lake for that price, though. But, does Lake Oswego have a sense of community? It seems kind of spread out and reserved to me.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
That is significantly cheaper, consindering that Lake Oswego is the most affluent suburb of Portland. I doubt you can get a house on the lake for that price, though. But, does Lake Oswego have a sense of community? It seems kind of spread out and reserved to me.
Yes, you can get a house on the lake or nearby canal for that price. They are few and far between but they come up for rent every now and then. It helps to know rental agencies other than CL because people in this area can afford to pay someone to advertise their rental. LO absolutely has a sense of community and is not at all spread out. Have you been there for a visit? LO is actually a small community with wonderful neighborhoods. Downtown LO is one of my favorite places. I lived in what is called First Addition and its an older walkable neighborhood with shops and restaurants. Farmer's market is within walking distance as is the lake and outdoor concert area. Being that it is one of the most affluent neighborhoods (other than Forest Heights in NW) it is a little stuffy and reserved.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
[/b]

This is spot-on, 100% correct. If you want a house that isnt a dump, that is around 1500 sq feet and not stuck in the 70's, in a safe neighborhood with halfway decent schools then yes - it will cost you upwards of $3000 a month. For what we pay here we can rent a 2500 sq foot home on the lake in Lake Oswego
Thank you, Daisy, for backing me up on that. I would consider a 1200 Sq Ft home "small" - even if it has 3 bedrooms. When you have kids, that is just not enough space unless there is a decent yard for them to play in. That is one of the big differences between LA and Portland - there is just a lot more space in Portland - and the lots and homes are much bigger. However, there ain't no bloody sun up here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles